OC wish list

Cr1028

38 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Now that Briles is off the table, if for some nonsensical reason we hire Major Applewhite, I will let me season tickets lapse for the first time. This isn’t even a question for me. I’d take Todd Dodge or Chico back before I’d take that disaster.

Todd Dodge may not be a bad OC. Certainly not a head coach though. LOL.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Venson said:

Todd Dodge may not be a bad OC. Certainly not a college head coach though. LOL.

He's hard to beat as a high school coach though.  Might have done better if we had been able to afford a college staff.

He was a decent OC here with less talented personnel but I doubt that he'd want to try that again.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GrayEagle said:

He's hard to beat as a high school coach though.  Might have done better if we had been able to afford a college staff.

He was a decent OC here with less talented personnel but I doubt that he'd want to try that again.

With all of the momentum that his hire was bringing at the time I find it hard to believe that if he had put his foot down he could not have gotten more money for coordinators

58 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

With all of the momentum that his hire was bringing at the time I find it hard to believe that if he had put his foot down he could not have gotten more money for coordinators

Wasn’t Dodge one of the lowest paid FBS coaches at the time at like $250k? Where would the money have come from? Todd Ford was only making $90k as OC, Dodge was making more than that as the coach of SLC in 2006.

Nowadays Todd makes $150k and Riley makes $97k. Could we throw $200k at Riley or $300k at Todd and then bygones be bygones and we get back to football? I think Todd would be more hesitant than Riley just because of age and comfort with where they are in life.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Wasn’t Dodge one of the lowest paid FBS coaches at the time at like $250k? Where would the money have come from? Todd Ford was only making $90k as OC, Dodge was making more than that as the coach of SLC in 2006.

Nowadays Todd makes $150k and Riley makes $97k. Could we throw $200k at Riley or $300k at Todd and then bygones be bygones and we get back to football? I think Todd would be more hesitant than Riley just because of age and comfort with where they are in life.

Not to mention, I think the Mean Green faithful look upon Riley much more favorably than Todd.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not to mention, I think the Mean Green faithful look upon Riley much more favorably than Todd.

A fair point. Although there are a select few, such as myself who believe he could’ve been great with a better athletic director supporting him. If anything, he had to support the athletic director which is pretty sad.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

A fair point. Although there are a select few, such as myself who believe he could’ve been great with a better athletic director supporting him. If anything, he had to support the athletic director which is pretty sad.

I have always said that the AD was the one who wasted the national buzz and momentum we were receiving from TD

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:52 PM, Venson said:

I hope not. I don't like guys who are HC and OC. They tend to not open up the playbook because they worry about putting the defense in a bad position because after all they are still the HC. Their success is very limited. Guys like that usually only get you so far. Sometimes it works, but usually for a short time. Think Andy Reid, Green Bay's former coach, and Sean Payton. Yes, Payton won a SB, but outside of that, the Saints usually choke in the playoffs.

Like Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Dana Hilgorsen, Gus Malzahn, Mike Norvell, Chip Kelly, Jeff Brohm,  Scott Frost, Jimbo Fisher, Mike Leach, Dan Mullen or David Cutcliffe in the college game?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, agw0038 said:

has anybody mentioned OU's o-line coach? Bill Bedenbaugh. Pretty sure we can't afford him but he would my selection, especially with Briles gone.

SL's air raid prowess combined with a legit oline coach at the head of the offensive scheme?  Could be interesting. We need all the oline help we can get at this point.

• Thanks 3

Some ideas I haven't seen yet (forgive me if I missed them being mentioned)...

Keith Heckendorf

2019 was his first season as the Arkansas State offensive coordinator and QB coach. Before that, he spent 8 seasons in multiple roles with the North Carolina football program, including the last five as quarterbacks coach. He also served as the Tar Heels’ passing coordinator the last three years and as the recruiting coordinator in 2014 and 2015.

Pluses: He has crossed paths with Seth at UNC, appears to be a QB coach with skins on the wall, and can recruit.

Clay McGuire

2019 was his first season as the offensive line coach at Texas State after spending 2018 as the running backs coach at Texas Tech. Before that,  he spent six seasons as the offensive line coach at Washington State.

Pluses: An OC with an OLine background might help recruiting on that front and I, for one, am open to a new voice addressing that area of consistent need.

• Thanks 3

On 12/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, Cr1028 said:

Both of them are too comfortable where they are. Todd is coaching at the stadium named after his father in law. Riley is coaching from his dads old office and his own HS where he won state titles. It would take something huge for either to leave. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, Cr1028 said:

I don't want anything with the name Dodge to have a chance to ruin this program again.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1