OC wish list

Cr1028

15 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

A team that wants to wins, and is more worried about winning than public perception will hire him.

They way I look at it, people are going to complain, especially in this day of "guilty" until we think your not.

He is cleared by the NCAA. If he is the best candidate available try and get him.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

No rumors yet?  We didn't hire Reeder until Feb last year.  I don't know how he is gone and Langston is still here.  Hard to run any offense when there is no blocking.

You are aware that NT was fourth in CUSA in both offensive yards and scoring.  

Must have had a really talented skill group to do that with no blocking. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You are aware that NT was fourth in CUSA in both offensive yards and scoring.  

Must have had a really talented skill group to do that with no blocking. 

Transcendent QB playing behind a porous OL doesn’t make the actual blocking any better. We were bad as an OL unit. Mason got killed this year. He barely finished the season and was clearly nursing injuries from earlier in the year towards the end.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Transcendent QB playing behind a porous OL doesn’t make the actual blocking any better. We were bad as an OL unit. Mason got killed this year. He barely finished the season and was clearly nursing injuries from earlier in the year towards the end.

I assume QB's playing behind good offensive lines never get hurt.

NT's ol was not close to be as bad as you and others think.  That is an opinion just like yours. However, mine seems to be backed with stats, while your is not.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I assume QB's playing behind good offensive lines never get hurt.

NT's ol was not close to be as bad as you and others think.  That is an opinion just like yours. However, mine seems to be backed with stats, while your is not.  

I agree that we disagree on the OL performance this year.

That stats you reference (Total Yards and Scoring Offense) actually open up a larger discussion in relation to modern game analytics vs. traditional stats that are considered antiquated. For example, total yards can be skewed by compiling significant inconsequential yardage during games you’ve been dominated early and the other team is coasting.

Also, level of competition varies greatly at the college level, so it’s possible to pump up yardage and scoring against the scrubs of college football while failing to do anything impressive against real competition. This was UNT to a T this year. We failed to score over 30 pts in any game of consequence where the opponent has similar or better talent level. We scored 30+ against the dregs - ACU, UTSA, Charlotte, UTEP & MTSU - and we still managed to lose one of those games.

My TLDR response is that situational football matters and much of our offensive production this year was accomplished against horrible football teams. Along with all that, the OL - a major contributor to our offensive woes - simply didn’t pass the eye test. Mason was under duress all year and hurt multiple times due to their poor play.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

I agree that we disagree on the OL performance this year.

That stats you reference (Total Yards and Scoring Offense) actually open up a larger discussion in relation to modern game analytics vs. traditional stats that are considered antiquated. For example, total yards can be skewed by compiling significant inconsequential yardage during games you’ve been dominated early and the other team is coasting.

Also, level of competition varies greatly at the college level, so it’s possible to pump up yardage and scoring against the scrubs of college football while failing to do anything impressive against real competition. This was UNT to a T this year. We failed to score over 30 pts in any game of consequence where the opponent has similar or better talent level. We scored 30+ against the dregs - ACU, UTSA, Charlotte, UTEP & MTSU - and we still managed to lose one of those games.

My TLDR response is that situational football matters and much of our offensive production this year was accomplished against horrible football teams. Along with all that, the OL - a major contributor to our offensive woes - simply didn’t pass the eye test. Mason was under duress all year and hurt multiple times due to their poor play.

Novel concept, your stats are usually better against poorer teams.

Stats are basically meaningless unless you have something to compare them to. 

Refined metrics defined by who you play and the results of the game are much too narrow to mean anything to most fans certainly including me. 

• Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Novel concept, your stats are usually better against poorer teams.

Stats are basically meaningless unless you have something to compare them to. 

Refined metrics defined by who you play and the results of the game are much too narrow to mean anything to most fans certainly including me. 

That’s why I like the eye test.  

In games that I was at and in games that mattered I saw lousy blocking, especially on the edge and at times confusion at picking up stunts and blitzes.  This was a carry over from where we left off in the NM Bowl last year.

Worst, I saw a continuation of poor snaps.  How we cannot get that corrected over a season points to bigger issues than just the blocking.

But if it’s stats you want here’s two:  

Sacks Allowed (10th in conference)

Tackles For Loss (11th in conference).

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

That’s why I like the eye test.  

In games that I was at and in games that mattered I saw lousy blocking, especially on the edge and at times confusion at picking up stunts and blitzes.  This was a carry over from where we left off in the NM Bowl last year.

Worst, I saw a continuation of poor snaps.  How we cannot get that corrected over a season points to bigger issues than just the blocking.

But if it’s stats you want here’s two:  

Sacks Allowed (10th in conference)

Tackles For Loss (11th in conference).

Rick

Apparently, you like stats that back up your point of view.  

Never stated the OL was good, just that they were not as bad as they are portrayed by some.

NT's major problem was the defense; so the fourth ranked offense didn't seem as important an issue.  

@GrandGreen @FirefightnRick @Green Lantern

It is easy to pick on the defense and yes it was noticeably worse this year. My two biggest complaints with the defense were a lack of pass rush and not forcing more turnovers.

However, was there anything that may have made the defense look worse than last year? We did lose one 1st team CUSA LB, a 1st team CUSA DB, and a 2nd team CUSA DB to graduation and NFL training camps. Our defense got younger and less experienced. Additionally, Bodie Reeder happened. Here is something you may not know and whether you place value in stats or not, these are hard to ignore and probably make getting the same defensive production out of a more inexperienced group nearly impossible. In 2018, under Graham Harrell, we held the ball for an average of 31.29 minutes per game (34th in the nation). In 2019, under Bodie Reeder, we held the ball for 28.08 minutes (106th in the nation). You may say, well, we're a pass first offense so TOP isn't as important to us. Ok, maybe so but how about this stat. In 2018 under GH, we had 321 1st downs (13th in the nation). In 2019, under Reeder, we had 253 (74th). Even when you factor that we had 13 games in 2018, GH was still 4 first downs per game better.

Now something that is bothering me a bit is the phase of the game that has been ignored by all of this coordinator talk and that is special teams. Marty Biagi hasn't faced near the criticism he should likely because Hair-Griffin was a good return man and Kenworthy was a pretty good punter. BUT, our punt return defense went from 78th in the nation to 102nd and our kick return defense went from 45th (19.86 yards per return) to 109th (23.63 yards per return.

Reff was behind the 8-ball this year and maybe it was time for him to go but there was more working against him than his philosophy this year and that needs to be recognized.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

Is Bush Hamdan from Washington worth a look as OC? He is available. Looking at Washington's offensive stats this year, they don't seem too bad. Only knock I see is he doesn't really have any ties to Texas. Coming from Washington though he may give us a pipeline into some Cali athletes because the Pacific NW always seems to recruit Cali well. I don't know enough about him to determine if he would be worth it.

32 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It is easy to pick on the defense and yes it was noticeably worse this year. My two biggest complaints with the defense were a lack of pass rush and not forcing more turnovers.

However, was there anything that may have made the defense look worse than last year? We did lose one 1st team LB, a 1st team DB, and a 2nd team DB to graduation and NFL training camps. Our defense got younger and less experienced. Additionally, Bodie Reeder happened. Here is something you may not know and whether you place value in stats or not, these are hard to ignore and probably make getting the same defensive production out of a more inexperienced group nearly impossible. In 2018, under Graham Harrell, we held the ball for an average of 31.29 minutes per game (34th in the nation). In 2019, under Bodie Reeder, we held the ball for 28.08 minutes (106th in the nation). You may say, well, we're a pass first offense so TOP isn't as important to us. Ok, maybe so but how about this stat. In 2018 under GH, we had 321 1st downs (13th in the nation). In 2019, under Reeder, we had 253 (74th). Even when you factor that we had 13 games in 2018, GH was still 4 first downs per game better.

Now something that is bothering me a bit is the phase of the game that has been ignored by all of this coordinator talk and that is special teams. Marty Biagi hasn't faced near the criticism he should likely because Hair-Griffin was a good return man and Kenworthy was a pretty good punter. BUT, our punt return defense went from 78th in the nation to 102nd and our kick return defense went from 45th (19.86 yards per return) to 109th (23.63 yards per return.

Reff was behind the 8-ball this year and maybe it was time for him to go but there was more working against him than his philosophy this year and that needs to be recognized.

We were a bad football team, man. It wasn’t only offense, only defense, or only special teams. We had some serious growing pains with a new OC and young defensive players.  I think you did a good job breaking down the season.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

However, was there anything that may have made the defense look worse than last year? We did lose one 1st team CUSA LB, a 1st team CUSA DB, and a 2nd team CUSA DB to graduation and NFL training camps. Our defense got younger and less experienced. Additionally, Bodie Reeder happened. Here is something you may not know and whether you place value in stats or not, these are hard to ignore and probably make getting the same defensive production out of a more inexperienced group nearly impossible. In 2018, under Graham Harrell, we held the ball for an average of 31.29 minutes per game (34th in the nation). In 2019, under Bodie Reeder, we held the ball for 28.08 minutes (106th in the nation). You may say, well, we're a pass first offense so TOP isn't as important to us. Ok, maybe so but how about this stat. In 2018 under GH, we had 321 1st downs (13th in the nation). In 2019, under Reeder, we had 253 (74th). Even when you factor that we had 13 games in 2018, GH was still 4 first downs per game better.

All very valid points for sure.

Rick

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Yep, that started being an ominous sign in the SMU game, starting with our first possession. Honestly, another thing was just the lack of creativity in the playcalling; it didn't seem like there was any point at which the opposing coaches weren't ready for us. I do think the problems with special teams  may be correctable, if only because Biagi was the ST coordinator the year before. I do think Biagi is good at identifying good special teamers and coaching them up, but he needs to work on the coverage teams, for sure.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

My prediction is Seth takes on the OC role.  

I hope not. I don't like guys who are HC and OC. They tend to not open up the playbook because they worry about putting the defense in a bad position because after all they are still the HC. Their success is very limited. Guys like that usually only get you so far. Sometimes it works, but usually for a short time. Think Andy Reid, Green Bay's former coach, and Sean Payton. Yes, Payton won a SB, but outside of that, the Saints usually choke in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1