New Defensive Coordinator Clint Bowen

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Lol people called you the worst person on this board besides CougarKing when you said that🤣

Nah, I just call him out for only showing up when things are bad and remaining deathly silent when positive things happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Positive? When? 

You are silent on Darden's year and his accomplishments, recruiting successes, Men's basketball, etc...  Generally, anything positive about any sport in the athletic department.  Then again, you knew that TFLF.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I am only a fan as I would guess about 99+% of the posters.   There is no way I know what the coaches are going through this crazy year.  

It is an easy reaction if the defense is bad than the DC should be fired.  No matter he and the team have just when through a year like no other because of the virus.  Or apparently it does not matter that he is in his first year as NT DC.

The defense was one of the worse in D1, therefore it follows that the coach should be fired.   Now that takes a lot of analysis.  It also may be a bad mistake. 

Littrell is the HC as much as many of us regret, it is his decision and he is the only one in position to make it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You are silent on Darden's year and his accomplishments, recruiting successes, Men's basketball, etc...  Generally, anything positive about any sport in the athletic department.  Then again, you knew that TFLF.

I'm not going to much entertain this. You sound like a fool. Football is king. They need to fix that. I don't care about the rest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, Side Show Joe said:

I'm not overjoyed by this hire. In Bowen's one season at UNT his defense allowed 30 points a game. And, he wasn't successful as Kansas' DC either, and was demoted after the 2018 season. I guess we just have to hope he has improved. Hopefully Littrell does better hiring an OC, because right now I'm not buying our defense being any better next season.

Grade for the hire: C-

Got 5 down votes for dropping this truth bomb last December. And, I was being optimistic about the Bowen hire. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, Side Show Joe said:

It seems some on here lack the ability to remove their green colored glasses, or put down their green Kool-Aid and examine this hire objectively and logically. I'm not saying Bowen is worse than Reff, but we should all ask the question, "Is this the best hire UNT could make?" I say No. we probably could have done better. Let the down votes begin.

I questioned the objectivity of a fair portion of the posters on this board, but too many still wanted to stay the course.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:35 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Sure I have an idea. I just have to look at the collective evidence. Bowen had a really memorable season at Kansas when he was co-defensive coordinator, 13 years ago, back in 2007. But, since then he has had much less success. His defense gave up 30 points a game in his lone season at UNT. And, in his most recent stop as Kansas' DC, their team managed to win 6 games from 2015-2018. Look, I have nothing against him, but based on his recent lack of success, I see nothing wrong with questioning this hire.

I ever pointed out facts as to why Bowen was a questionable hire.

• Eye Roll 1

On 12/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Sure.

Mark Snyder, former Defensive coordinator at Texas A&M (2012-14), Ohio State (2001-04), & South Florida (2010-11). He was also a head coach at Marshall (2005-09). Currently an assistant at Florida State (making $450K), but is probably out of a job now. Great Texas ties, C-USA ties, and has won on in the best FBS conference (SEC).

And, gave an alternative too. I believe Mark Snyder is still available.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

Got 5 down votes for dropping this truth bomb last December. And, I was being optimistic about the Bowen hire. 

Too many happy clappers on this board. If you don't look at everything with green tinted glasses, you get down voted to oblivion. As a younger generation, we're constantly being told to "appreciate what we have now because it used to be so much worse." BS. That kind of apathy is what keeps us in this rut. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 12/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, Side Show Joe said:

No. Fans have a right to express how they feel about a hire. If the administration doesn't want fans "crapping" on their hire, than they should make better hires. Look, I hope Bowen fields a top 10 defense next season. I really do. But, his recent history does not indicate that will be the case. I want proven FBS winners at these coordinator positions. Our program is at a point where we will either correct our misfortunes and get back to bowling, or collapse and be condemned to another decade of bottom-feeding. I'm not happy gambling our future on a "change of scenery" building us a respected defense.

The fact that on the same week FAU has apparently schooled us at hiring a guy for the same position really stinks. There is no way to spin it in our favor. I thought Littrell could have found a better DC, and he should have. I doubt their is a UNT fan on this board that actually believes Bowen is better than Leavitt. Can we not hold our coach to the same standard as FAU? Is that really too much to ask?

By the way, I didn't give you the down vote. I don't work like that. +1 to even you up.

I stated this last December, and I believe it is even more true today. Except now I believe we are in a worse position. I whole heartedly believe UNT is at the point where we must make a change at head coach. Eye rollers and down voters can now throw back their green Kool-Aid and make their excuses for Littrell. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Too many happy clappers on this board. If you don't look at everything with green tinted glasses, you get down voted to oblivion. As a younger generation, we're constantly being told to "appreciate what we have now because it used to be so much worse." BS. That kind of apathy is what keeps us in this rut. 

I'm old as dirt. My home town lived and breathed football. Losing was something that was never accepted. It was a simple philosophy. "The coach don't win, the coach don't stay". I will never understand why so many Mean Green fans seem content to accept failure, or at the very least, make excuses for it. 

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I stated this last December, and I believe it is even more true today. Except now I believe we are in a worse position. I whole heartedly believe UNT is at the point where we must make a change at head coach. Eye rollers and down voters can now throw back their green Kool-Aid and make their excuses for Littrell. 

I completely agree. Don't say anything ill about their precious Saint Littrell or they'll come back at you about Portland State, down vote you to hell, etc. I've seen some posts from years back where this board had a lot of different posters which are no longer on here that I can only imagine were driven away by the stubbornness of these old hats. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2