New Defensive Coordinator Clint Bowen

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

That worked out great with the OC hiring. 

I'm sure if they hired an unknown from God knows where. You would have been tickled shit less. 

Meh. I wasn't overly underwhelmed with the Reeder hire bc we weren't sure really what we were getting. So it was a true TBD experiment. 

We know what we're getting here. Silver lining, at least we're moving away from the stack D. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 4

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

That worked out great with the OC hiring. 

I'm sure if they hired an unknown from God knows where. You would have been tickled shit less. 

Nope that would have been hope, let's get Jason garret to manage the timeouts while we're at it since we want guys that have done it before. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I'm a joke? I asked to to tell me who you would have been happy with to hire and of course you had no answer.. you bitch, moan and wine constantly about everything. Grow up and quit acting like a high school girl. If they didn't fire Reffett and move on I can understand complaining. But they didnt. They fired the coach and made a move to a guy that was a DC in the big 12. You have absolutely zero clue if he will be an improvement or not. I don't have a clue if he will be a success. But let wait and see. No need crying in beer tonight.

But we do have a clue... literally seen this show before and it was 30 points a game 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 9

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Grow up and quit acting like a high school girl.

I mean, I don't know what high school girls have to do with this, but agree. Let's just see. I was kind of expecting a hire from a FCS school. This seems better. Maybe I am a victim of my low UNT expectations.. who knows.

If we give up 30 pts to Big 12 schools like he did at KU, ok, fine. Not happy, but fine. However let's not give up more than 12 to CUSA schools... Then we are talking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

As I don’t follow Kansas at all, I honestly have no clue whether or not he is a good hire. The thing that gives me pause is that he was the DC/S coach here in 2011 and then almost a decade later he takes the same job again. Obviously he seems like a loyal guy so that may play into it, but if he is to be a great/good DC you’d think that he wouldn’t be taking the same DC job at the same CUSA program a decade later and would instead be moving up the ladder...

Obviously I hope that he works out and wish him nothing but the best, but I can definitely see how it would be hard for some people to get too excited about it.

Personally I wanted Koonz as it was a night and day difference in the LBs before, during, and after his time here. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MEEN2018 said:

As I don’t follow Kansas at all, I honestly have no clue whether or not he is a good hire. The thing that gives me pause is that he was the DC/S coach here in 2011 and then almost a decade later he takes the same job again. Obviously he seems like a loyal guy so that may play into it, but if he is to be a great/good DC you’d think that he wouldn’t be taking the same DC job at the same CUSA program a decade later and would instead be moving up the ladder...

Obviously I hope that he works out and wish him nothing but the best, but I can definitely see how it would be hard for some people to get too excited about it.

Personally I wanted Koonz as it was a night and day difference in the LBs before, during, and after his time here. 

I think he is only here because of Seth and Mangino. He wants to be a head coach AND he wants to coach at Kansas. He can’t have both and he certainly isn’t going to climb the ladder stuck as the KU safeties coach. The only time he left KU before was because he got fired along with Mangino. If he comes to North Texas and we have a big turnaround this year, he will have the opportunity to follow Seth to a P5 DC job again or get some offers to be a G5 head man likely including at North Texas.

If that isn’t the case then I think he played the role of Tommy Perry for Les Miles this year and was expected to move on after the season. It could’ve been either of these two situations but he isn’t back down here because he sucks necessarily. I’d say it is primarily his loyalty to a graveyard program that has kept his career from taking off.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

I'm falling in the wait and see category.   Judging him by his performance with KU and their talent in the big xii is ignorant.  His one year here isn't enough to go by either.  If I remember, most of us were good with the hire the first time around because he did good things with wku. 

I will say that this name doesn't ripple the water.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes and the great DC Skaldany came in the next year and gave up 29 points a game. This ain't the same UNT roster that was here in 2011. 

Right? He was here one freaking season! The year before was actually just above 29 pts per game.  Skladany's 1st year was 27.8...is there that big of a difference? Wouldn't you say that one and done Skladany would be, hypothetically, just as bad?  I would.  The next year the JS led defense held opponents to shy of 18 pts per game.  There is no reason to think that Bowen couldn't have done the same but we just don't know.  Two years in any program could make a ton of difference in results.

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yes and the great DC Skaldany came in the next year and gave up 29 points a game. This ain't the same UNT roster that was here in 2011. 

Could've fooled me watching them play defense. 

Point is, the hire doesn't make sense. It doesn't feel like a plan A or even a plan B decision. It feels like a "he'll do" decision. The program is in a pretty vulnerable state right now. Making "he'll do" hires at this point feels dangerous. As another poster said, it feels like a Cosh hire. And that's not to say he'll be as bad as Cosh this go around, but there's nothing substantial to say he's going to get the defense humming. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Could've fooled me watching them play defense. 

Point is, the hire doesn't make sense. It doesn't feel like a plan A or even a plan B decision. It feels like a "he'll do" decision. The program is in a pretty vulnerable state right now. Making "he'll do" hires at this point feels dangerous. As another poster said, it feels like a Cosh hire. And that's not to say he'll be as bad as Cosh this go around, but there's nothing substantial to say he's going to get the defense humming. 

OK, who would you suggest NT hire for the position?  It is easy to criticize every decision made, but there has to be a touch of reality involved.

NT could hire a relatively unknown and there would be even more criticism.  Or they could double the salary and reach higher and still fail. 

Dangerous hire compared to what?  You will have no logical answer because there is not one you can defend.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I think this is a solid hire and hope an overall change in philosophy comes with it, otherwise it’ll be for naught.

Rick

After reading more about the players he has coached and the Kansas teams that were successful under him, (mostly during the Mangino era, I suppose the only really successful period in recent memory of Kansas football), I agree. 

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2