New Defensive Coordinator Clint Bowen

4 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Not buying any of that, except that FAU is currently a better job. Even without their coach they are winning. That is what a good program does. I'm watching FAU do to SMU what we should have been able to do to SMU.(currently FAU 45 SMU 21)

Littrell's salary $1,865,500 annually,   UNT assistant's salary pool $1,775,000 annually, UNT's athletic budget $38,002,376 annually

Kiffin's salary $1,432,000 annually,   FAU assistant salary pool $1,255,000 annually, FAU's athletic budget $35,275,379 annually

And, it's cheaper to live in Denton.

As for proven FBS winners "not having a desire to come here", that's just irrational. Of course there are some good former FBS coordinators working as position coaches that would love to have another shot at being a DC, especially since it would mean getting a raise.

I'm not sure what you are trying to disagree with me about?  You admitted FAU is a better job right now and it's a fact that Leavitt was given his last 2 jobs prior to this one by Taggart, so in that specific situation expecting us to be able to convince him to come here solely for more money, which we aren't even sure would be the case, and despite his history with their coach seems unrealistic.  I said we absolutely should be able to get coordinators of that caliber, but circumstances/prior relationships play a factor in these things a lot of the time.  I don't really think we are in a position to just money whip people to coach for us, and I think recent hires would show that to be true.  I agree there are some former coordinators maybe looking for another shot, Bowen actually qualifies as just that.  Your earlier post claimed to want former FBS winners who want another shot.  Most winners don't get fired or demoted to a position coach, so I guess I need your definition of a winner before we can come up with better choices for DC.  I definitely do not think Bowen is the absolute best choice, but good and also realistic choices are few and far between.

• Upvote 2

It’s crazy that FAU’s success was built on the risk of hiring a head coach, offensive coordinator (one some suggest is too damaged to become our OC) and defensive coordinator who were not the safe public perception hire.

Remember squeaky clean Charlie Partridge’s 3-9 season, man I’m sure they wish they had more of that at FAU. Instead of letting a bunch of lawless coaches keep piling up victories.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

It’s crazy that FAU’s success was built on the risk of hiring a head coach, offensive coordinator (one some suggest is too damaged to become our OC) and defensive coordinator who were not the safe public perception hire.

Remember squeaky clean Charlie Partridge’s 3-9 season, man I’m sure they wish they had more of that at FAU. Instead of letting a bunch of lawless coaches keep piling up victories.

And where were all the campus protests and the media backlash when they were hired?

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Based on the crowd size at what was basically a home game for FAU, maybe the protests were in the form of a boycott.

I was thinking the students at FAU might not know they have a football team at the school.  How can you be so good and not draw at least a decent crowd.  Maybe everyone is at the beach?

18 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I was thinking the students at FAU might not know they have a football team at the school.  How can you be so good and not draw at least a decent crowd.  Maybe everyone is at the beach?

Well, at some point it started raining hard enough (ACTUALLY raining, as they say in the Pacific Northwest) for the crowd to be photographed putting on their ponchos, but it didn't look like that good for a day for the beach before then. But people have to make plans to attend a bowl game, which is hard for other than the most motivated to do this time of year. The only theory I can come up with for the existence of some of the lesser attended bowls is that television advertising is still expensive and sells well enough.

Not to digress , but can one imagine what the trajectory of Appy State might look like with an expanded playoff format?  

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Over 1 year ago the hire happened... 

I saw many people on here receive tons of downvotes for saying this was a bad hire and they didn't like it. People who were saying he was good got a ton of upvotes. I wonder who was right?

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 minutes ago, Venson said:

I saw many people on here receive tons of downvotes for saying this was a bad hire and they didn't like it. People who was saying he was good got a ton of upvotes. I wonder who was right?

Yep, hated the hire from the jump. But even I didn't think he'd be this bad

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Yep, hated the hire from the jump. But even I didn't think he'd be this bad

You were really the one I was referring to. You said you didn't like it multiple times. I just didn't want to put your name out there so I said I saw multiple people when it was mostly you and maybe one or two others. Haha. Looks like you were spot on.

• Upvote 3

On 12/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, Travis said:

Good hire. Glad he is back. 

I tried to put my trust that SL knew what he was doing and still had confidence that he would right this ship.  But it was only a few games into this year that I quickly realized he was piloting this plane right into a mountain. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Venson said:

You were really the one I was referring to. You said you didn't like it multiple times. I just didn't want to put your name out there so I said I saw multiple people when it was mostly you and maybe one or two others. Haha. Looks like you were spot on.

Yeah,  people hated me saying it but I just saw a guy that really hasn't had much success.  You can point here and there but mostly hot garbage.  Last stop here was 30 points a game. Seth hired a buddy and this is as much on him as it's on Bowen

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Seth hired a buddy and this is as much on him as it's on Bowen

That's why I think he won't fire him. That's why I said WB, NS, or BOR needs to not give him a choice. If he doesn't want to lose a buddy by firing him, then let one of them do it. However, when Soldiers performed bad in the Army, I would nail their @$$ to the wall. We could be drinking buddies. I would just tell them that it's not personal. It's business. So he has got have some guts and move on.