New Defensive Coordinator Clint Bowen

7 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Sure, let's view it logically and objectively.  Kansas typically has the worst or second to worst recruiting class in one of the most offensively talented conferences in football, to go along with that is an offense that could be described as terrible at best, not exactly a great scenario to be a DC right?  Despite this many of Bowen's former players have gone on to achieve success at the next level, and he has maintained having a job despite all of his shortcomings.  One could point at UNT in 2011 or WKU in 2010 as other examples of Bowen's coaching abilities.  Maybe this is my "green colored glasses" talking, but would anyone here argue that this team is much much more talented than either of those teams?  I believe this is the best situation Bowen has ever found himself in talent wise when compared to his opponents, and I'm excited to see what he can do with the opportunity.  We are getting a guy with P5 HC and DC experience, that isn't something that's easy to come by.  Realistically speaking I would love to hear a handful of examples of the best hire UNT could have made, and please don't even think about throwing the name Todd Orlando out there.

Sheesh. 

Beaten dog syndrome, much? 

We are a pathetic fan base. That might be my new UNT slogan. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

19 hours ago, p_phelps said:

https://247sports.com/player/brennon-scott-46042133/ 

We offered him and he hasn't signed yet

According to 24/7 he was recruited by Emmett Jones and Mike Ekeler. Emmett Jones is a UNT alumni and is from Dallas. We would have a good shot if we were able to hire him away from KU to be the outside receivers coach here. Not sure I would want to hire a coach just to get a player even though that players offer list is amazing. Now if Jones is a great receivers coach and we could afford him, I would say go after him.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Sure, let's view it logically and objectively.  Kansas typically has the worst or second to worst recruiting class in one of the most offensively talented conferences in football, to go along with that is an offense that could be described as terrible at best, not exactly a great scenario to be a DC right?  Despite this many of Bowen's former players have gone on to achieve success at the next level, and he has maintained having a job despite all of his shortcomings.  One could point at UNT in 2011 or WKU in 2010 as other examples of Bowen's coaching abilities.  Maybe this is my "green colored glasses" talking, but would anyone here argue that this team is much much more talented than either of those teams?  I believe this is the best situation Bowen has ever found himself in talent wise when compared to his opponents, and I'm excited to see what he can do with the opportunity.  We are getting a guy with P5 HC and DC experience, that isn't something that's easy to come by.  Realistically speaking I would love to hear a handful of examples of the best hire UNT could have made, and please don't even think about throwing the name Todd Orlando out there.

If I’m reading your post correctly, you first said that KU doesn’t recruit well.  Then you followed that up saying that despite that terrible recruiting many of those players went on to play in the NFL.

The point you’re trying to make is that he coached them up, and that may be true individually, but more likely is that he’s a good recruiter first and foremost.  Nobody that makes it in the NFL is lacking for natural talent.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is my point. Leavitt is the level of hire we should have aimed for, and why I question the Bowen hire.

The down voters on here won't like reading this, but hires like Leavitt are why FAU has two C-USA conference titles and we don't.

Agree. 

We can still make a statement with the OC hire. Mangino or Briles would accomplish that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Seeing that FAU just hired Jim Leavitt as their new DC, I’m officially underwhelmed by our hire. That’s a peer program. We gotta aim higher.

Wow... that really stings... he’s a phenomenal coach.  FAU is making some serious moves.  

26 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Agree. 

We can still make a statement with the OC hire. Mangino or Briles would accomplish that.

1 of those names is ready to be here just can't get admin to approve it..... Those dang ghosts from the past..

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is my point. Leavitt is the level of hire we should have aimed for, and why I question the Bowen hire.

The down voters on here won't like reading this, but hires like Leavitt are why FAU has two C-USA conference titles and we don't.

the shining good point GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

1 of those names is ready to be here just can't get admin to approve it..... Those dang ghosts from the past..

Interesting. How high up? Athletic department admin or university admin?

Kiffin and some on his staff had baggage when FAU hired them. Now they have 2 C-USA titles and we have jack.

Liberty hired Freeze (baggage) this year and they are bowling (and winning) as I type this.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

It seems some on here lack the ability to remove their green colored glasses, or put down their green Kool-Aid and examine this hire objectively and logically. I'm not saying Bowen is worse than Reff, but we should all ask the question, "Is this the best hire UNT could make?" I say No. we probably could have done better. Let the down votes begin.

I have no problem with this approach, but he is now here, so we should at least give him a chance instead of crapping all over this hire. Sometimes a change of scenery is good. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

• Harry featured this topic
20 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have no problem with this approach, but he is now here, so we should at least give him a chance instead of crapping all over this hire. Sometimes a change of scenery is good. 

No. Fans have a right to express how they feel about a hire. If the administration doesn't want fans "crapping" on their hire, than they should make better hires. Look, I hope Bowen fields a top 10 defense next season. I really do. But, his recent history does not indicate that will be the case. I want proven FBS winners at these coordinator positions. Our program is at a point where we will either correct our misfortunes and get back to bowling, or collapse and be condemned to another decade of bottom-feeding. I'm not happy gambling our future on a "change of scenery" building us a respected defense.

The fact that on the same week FAU has apparently schooled us at hiring a guy for the same position really stinks. There is no way to spin it in our favor. I thought Littrell could have found a better DC, and he should have. I doubt their is a UNT fan on this board that actually believes Bowen is better than Leavitt. Can we not hold our coach to the same standard as FAU? Is that really too much to ask?

By the way, I didn't give you the down vote. I don't work like that. +1 to even you up.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

No. Fans have a right to express how they feel about a hire. If the administration doesn't want fans "crapping" on their hire, than they should make better hires. Look, I hope Bowen fields a top 10 defense next season. I really do. But, his recent history does not indicate that will be the case. I want proven FBS winners at these coordinator positions. Our program is at a point where we will either correct our misfortunes and get back to bowling, or collapse and be condemned to another decade of bottom-feeding. I'm not happy gambling our future on a "change of scenery" building us a respected defense.

The fact that on the same week FAU has apparently schooled us at hiring a guy for the same position really stinks. There is no way to spin it in our favor. I thought Littrell could have found a better DC, and he should have. I doubt their is a UNT fan on this board that actually believes Bowen is better than Leavitt. Can we not hold our coach to the same standard as FAU? Is that really too much to ask?

By the way, I didn't give you the down vote. I don't work like that. +1 to even you up.

Thank you!!! This is what I've been saying as well. There were and are legitimate DC candidates out there to get and we've talked about the increase in budget. How is it FAU gets the likes of Kiffen, briles as an OC and Leavitt as a DC but we're getting history of subpar guys. Guys on the fourm love to say look at his experience,  I look at his results. They ain't good

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I think if it is Briles that the Admin would approve if big name donors told them they are withholding those million dollar donations until they approve. At the end of the day, the old adage of "Money talks and bull$*** walks." holds true.

• Upvote 1

The reality is that FAU is currently a better job that UNT, and I'd love to hear an argument using facts otherwise.  Can we hope to hire people of the same caliber as Leavitt? Absolutely, and I believe there's no reason we can't get similar coaches of that caliber given the right circumstances.  However Taggart has given Leavitt his last 2 (now 3) jobs, so we can't really be mad they got him and we didn't.  Proven FBS winners, which is what everyone seems to want, have little desire to come join a middle of the pack CUSA team that has potential with a coach they have zero connection to.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

The reality is that FAU is currently a better job that UNT, and I'd love to hear an argument using facts otherwise.  Can we hope to hire people of the same caliber as Leavitt? Absolutely, and I believe there's no reason we can't get similar coaches of that caliber given the right circumstances.  However Taggart has given Leavitt his last 2 (now 3) jobs, so we can't really be mad they got him and we didn't.  Proven FBS winners, which is what everyone seems to want, have little desire to come join a middle of the pack CUSA team that has potential with a coach they have zero connection to.

Not buying any of that, except that FAU is currently a better job. Even without their coach they are winning. That is what a good program does. I'm watching FAU do to SMU what we should have been able to do to SMU.(currently FAU 45 SMU 21)

Littrell's salary $1,865,500 annually,   UNT assistant's salary pool $1,775,000 annually, UNT's athletic budget $38,002,376 annually

Kiffin's salary $1,432,000 annually,   FAU assistant salary pool $1,255,000 annually, FAU's athletic budget $35,275,379 annually

And, it's cheaper to live in Denton.

As for proven FBS winners "not having a desire to come here", that's just irrational. Of course there are some good former FBS coordinators working as position coaches that would love to have another shot at being a DC, especially since it would mean getting a raise.

Edited by Side Show Joe