Class Rated Based On Offer Lists

BillySee58

• Harry featured this topic

The dip is a bit bigger than I would have thought it would be seeing the 247 rating. I understand Billysees interpretation of the results though. Considering how the season went, this is still pretty good recruiting. I feel in terms of successful battling for recruits is one point where SL has really improved from where he was during his first two years. Now he needs to make it pay off on the field.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Davontae may have the best offer list that I have seen for a commit. I was wondering if he would be our highest rated player in our history that we have signed based off your measurements? Thanks

Jamario had offers from aTm, TT, Colorado, Ark, and Arizona St.

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Davontae may have the best offer list that I have seen for a commit. I was wondering if he would be our highest rated player in our history that we have signed based off your measurements? Thanks

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Jamario had offers from aTm, TT, Colorado, Ark, and Arizona St.

Kevin Dillman is the highest rated based on the offer points scale I use. He had 14 P5 offers and 2 more G5 offers for 23 total offer points. That was as a QB recruit but when we signed him he had completely fallen off the map and we signed him to play tight end.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kevin-Dillman-21141/RecruitInterests/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Kevin Dillman is the highest rated based on the offer points scale I use. He had 14 P5 offers and 2 more G5 offers for 23 total offer points. That was as a QB recruit but when we signed him he had completely fallen off the map and we signed him to play tight end.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Kevin-Dillman-21141/RecruitInterests/

Yes, the data is kind of dirty because in the end the offers are self reported, we don't know what has been pulled, and not all the offers are at the position the recruit signed for.  However, it's more or less the best their is. 

Are you hand building those lists? 24/7 doesn't offer API access so I was thinking of building a site scrapper to collect all that data.  Wanted to compare ranking and/or offer lists of players in G5 conferences, and see if those metrics relate to success within that schools conference record over the lifetime of the recruit.

Have you ever used PowerBI?  It's a very good vis tool and has some good data cleanup tools built in. 

Ping me if any of this sounds interesting. 

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Offer points would be negatively impacted (and artificially skew it down) at this point because last year's class we signed everyone during early signing period, and this year we've got 4 or 5 still unaccounted for, right? 

Correct. The offer points chart is a quantitative measure, whereas the first two (percentage of “B” and “A”) are qualitative.

So yeah, if we sign some guys with good offer lists, this class could push towards 100 offer points still. Alternatively, if we use a couple spots on grad transfers then that would hurt from an offer points standpoint as I don’t think we’d be able to track grad transfer offer lists, although I believe 247 is trying to get there.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Yes, the data is kind of dirty because in the end the offers are self reported, we don't know what has been pulled, and not all the offers are at the position the recruit signed for.  However, it's more or less the best their is. 

Are you hand building those lists? 24/7 doesn't offer API access so I was thinking of building a site scrapper to collect all that data.  Wanted to compare ranking and/or offer lists of players in G5 conferences, and see if those metrics relate to success within that schools conference record over the lifetime of the recruit.

Have you ever used PowerBI?  It's a very good vis tool and has some good data cleanup tools built in. 

Ping me if any of this sounds interesting. 

Yes, these have been hand built over the years. I would be interested in doing something because I would like to track other teams in the conference but have no intentions on hand-building charts for each of them the way I have with UNT.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This is such a good point.  I am not sure if you remember this, but we had scenarios in the past where we would land a player who had an offer from Okie State and the coaches at Okie State would remove their offer so it wouldn't look like we beat them on anything.  Crazy but true. 

I agree 100% though that offers are just the very best data point we have to measure value in this recruiting game.  I would be interested in doing something as well to track it.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:27 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

Kind of disappointed in those figures. This one felt like much closer to last year. Then again, I’m no expert. 

Charlotte, Rice, La Tech Southern Miss etc have all beaten us with recruits that had few if any offers.  No reason why we can’t return the favor. That’s why I don’t sweat recruiting.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Charlotte, Rice, La Tech Southern Miss etc have all beaten us with recruits that had few if any offers.  No reason why we can’t return the favor. That’s why I don’t sweat recruiting.

Rick

Charlotte and Rice most certainly did. 

Not LaTech and SoMiss. 

The recruiting you don't believe in is typically why SoMiss and LaTech have winning programs. On the contrary, the lack of recruiting is why Rice and Charlotte are doormats. This isn't all some big coincidence. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

i disagree, nothing beats the eye test.

Tell me....when you and I were sitting at Wichita Falls’ Memorial Stadium that summer watching Booger Kennedy embarras some of the best O linemen the state of Oklahoma had to offer...did the thought ever cross your mind who in hell offered or didn’t offer him?

Of course not.  Who offered or didn’t offer didn’t mean shit to us. All that mattered was he was fast, quick as hell and he was coming to Denton.

Rick

You talk in outliers when you talk recruiting. Outliers is not the sole premise on having a solid foundation to build a program on. It's great to pull those diamonds up. The programs that recruit with consistency are the programs that are going to be putting themselves in positions to win football games. Recruiting has been just about turned into a science. And every expert that has associated themselves with this science will disagree with your outlook. 

Go do your own research. Go back 10 years and look up the 10 best recruiting 'G5' programs in the country. And then correlate that recruiting to their on the field success, good or bad. Then go look at the worst 10 recruiting programs in the country. And then correlate that recruiting to their on the field failures. You'll see this just doesn't happen on a whim or luck. There's a method to the madness, and stars/offers matter. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

22 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree 100% though that offers are just the very best data point we have to measure value in this recruiting game.

Disagree.  Nothing beats the eye test.

When you and I were sitting at Wichita Falls’ Memorial Stadium that summer watching Booger Kennedy embarras some of Oklahoma’s top O linemen the furthest thing from my mind was who didn’t offer him and who did.

All that mattered was he was damn good and he was coming to Denton.

Then we went to watch the first day in pads and we knew we were in for something special.

Nothing beats the eye test.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Disagree.  Nothing beats the eye test.

When you and I were sitting at Wichita Falls’ Memorial Stadium that summer watching Booger Kennedy embarras some of Oklahoma’s top O linemen the furthest thing from my mind was who didn’t offer him and who did.

All that mattered was he was damn good and he was coming to Denton.

Then we went to watch the first day in pads and we knew we were in for something special.

Nothing beats the eye test.

Rick

Context matters. I actually like throwing in some under-recruited kids in each class provided the proper context. If it’s a Mason Fine, Booger Kennedy, or Brelan Chancellor type where the player has the talent and ability but they are being passed over because of height, I like those type of pickups. But when it’s a 6’ cornerback or a 6’4” 300 lb linemen and they aren’t picking up offers because of ability, that’s more concerning.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You talk in outliers when you talk recruiting. Outliers is not the sole premise on having a solid foundation to build a program on. It's great to pull those diamonds up. The programs that recruit with consistency are the programs that are going to be putting themselves in positions to win football games. Recruiting has been just about turned into a science. And every expert that has associated themselves with this science will disagree with your outlook. 

Go do your own research. Go back 10 years and look up the 10 best recruiting 'G5' programs in the country. And then correlate that recruiting to their on the field success, good or bad. Then go look at the worst 10 recruiting programs in the country. And then correlate that recruiting to their on the field failures. You'll see this just doesn't happen on a whim or luck. There's a method to the madness, and stars/offers matter. 

How about you do that research and show us the results. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2