RIP Hayden Fry

jtm0097

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I googled "Hayden Fry Funeral service."  It came from a newspaper in Iowa.

Just sent this email to the paper where the article first appeared:

Dear Mr. Hlas,

Thank you for your article on Hayden Fry's passing. He was a great man who will be missed by many. 

One correction, he coached at North Texas State University (now University of North Texas) rather than Texas State, which is an entirely different university. 

My best wishes for the holidays.

Sincerely,

Jim Schaeffer
Durham, NC
NTSU '75
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

I was a student at the University of Iowa when Hayden was hired in 1978.  We had endured 17 straight losing seasons.  He immediately turned the program around and earned a Rose Bowl berth in the third season.  He made so many changes from having the visitor's locker room painted pink to put them in a more relaxed mood to creating a new Tiger Hawk Logo to the team entering the field before the game in as he called it "The Swarm" to changing the uniform to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers who had won 5 Super Bowls that decade to all the quirky sayings he had.  My favorite was "Scratch Where it Itches." RIP to one of the greatest college football coaches of all time.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, Green59 said:

I was a student at the University of Iowa when Hayden was hired in 1978.  We had endured 17 straight losing seasons.  He immediately turned the program around and earned a Rose Bowl berth in the third season.  He made so many changes from having the visitor's locker room painted pink to put them in a more relaxed mood to creating a new Tiger Hawk Logo to the team entering the field before the game in as he called it "The Swarm" to changing the uniform to look like the Pittsburgh Steelers who had won 5 Super Bowls that decade to all the quirky sayings he had.  My favorite was "Scratch Where it Itches." RIP to one of the greatest college football coaches of all time.

Interesting info. I'm a bit down the road from Iowa City so there are plenty of Hawkeyes in my area. Didn't know all of that. Thank you