RIP Hayden Fry

jtm0097

Just now, NTSU52 said:

Every headline I read says "former Iowa Hawkeyes coach..."  Not a single article I saw mentioned North Texas in it. That sucks. But either way, he was a legend here and will be missed.

No one should be surprised by that. The greatest coach in North Texas history RIP 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

Every headline I read says "former Iowa Hawkeyes coach..."  Not a single article I saw mentioned North Texas in it. That sucks. But either way, he was a legend here and will be missed.

It would be much worse, if they said former Iowa and SMU coach.

Fry was a gift to NT, back in a time when NT did as little as possible to be competitive.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

To be fair, they aren’t mentioning his 11 years at SMU either. Only his 20 years at Iowa. 

• Upvote 1

A5DEAE1B-93C3-4A33-8BDE-5C6897C05E2E.jpeg.fb6a6921269177f06150a7378e9fa004.jpeg

THE BASE OF THE TREE: HAYDEN FRY'S 1983 COACHING STAFF 78

The Hayden Fry Coaching Tree is the greatest of all coaching trees. And the 1983 Iowa staff was the base, an absurd level of coaching talent not seen since

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2014/6/20/5823870/the-base-of-the-tree-hayden-frys-1983-coaching-staff

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Short blurb mentioning North Texas in the ESPN article:

"Before Iowa, Fry coached North Texas for six seasons and SMU for 11 seasons, recording a 232-178-10 overall record. He won coach of the year honors in three leagues -- the Southwest Conference, the Missouri Valley Conference and the Big Ten, where he received the award three times. Fry also was Sporting News' national coach of the year in 1981."

Regardless, RIP to Coach Fry, a North Texas legend and cheers to a long, accomplished 90-year life!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

I had the great honor of knowing him. The band's practice field was just outside Fouts, parallel to Ave E and we had just begun our rehearsals for the first game of the 1973 season. The football team practiced in Fouts and both the band and the football team were in action at the same time.

Coach Fry left Fouts and came to the band's rehearsal area. One of his assistants introduced him to Maurice McAdow and the two shook hands and made some small talk. Mr. McAdow then introduced Coach Fry to me. A few weeks later, I received a custom ceramic beer mug with the flying worm on one side and my name on the other.  

What a class act. 

RIP Coach Fry.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

Never got to meet Coach Fry. Wasn't here when he coached. But when I transferred from UT, one of my Talon buddies told me to go to the library and watch the 30-minute film of his first game at NT (vs. $MU after being fired from there). I can't recall who put together the show, but I think it was Channel 5 (the NBC affiliate).

NT didn't do football like UT did, but that film helped me visualize what could be for this school when the right people lead it. And I was a diehard from that viewing forward.

(long time ago...I hope my memory is not a distorted representation)

GMG

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, NTSU52 said:

Last nite on the 10 O'clock sports report on channel 5 Newy said "former North Texas and SMU coach, Hayden Fry"  He also mentioned Haydens courageous signing of Jerry Levias.

Thanks Newy!

10 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I had the great honor of knowing him. The band's practice field was just outside Fouts, parallel to Ave E and we had just begun our rehearsals for the first game of the 1973 season. The football team practiced in Fouts and both the band and the football team were in action at the same time.

Coach Fry left Fouts and came to the band's rehearsal area. One of his assistants introduced him to Maurice McAdow and the two shook hands and made some small talk. Mr. McAdow then introduced Coach Fry to me. A few weeks later, I received a custom ceramic beer mug with the flying worm on one side and my name on the other.  

What a class act. 

RIP Coach Fry.

Wow! Two legends of the Football program meeting and including you in the process. That must have been real special for you.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Never got to meet Coach Fry. Wasn't here when he coached. But when I transferred from UT, one of my Talon buddies told me to go to the library and watch the 30-minute film of his first game at NT (vs. $MU after being fired from there). I can't recall who put together the show, but I think it was Channel 5 (the NBC affiliate).

NT didn't do football like UT did, but that film helped me visualize what could be for this school when the right people lead it. And I was a diehard from that viewing forward.

(long time ago...I hope my memory is not a distorted representation)

GMG

I had not thought about that film in many years as it is a classic. I wish someone would post it on YouTube

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Wow! Two legends of the Football program meeting and including you in the process. That must have been real special for you.

Thanks, I really enjoyed the few times I spoke with him. If you look in the dictionary under "raconteur", I am quite sure you would find a photo of Hayden Fry next to the definition as there was no one who could match him.

As I think about those years, I also recall he drove a lime green Chevrolet. It was quite easy to spot him around town!

• Upvote 1

Hayden Fry was the beloved football coach at the University of Iowa for 20 seasons, from 1979 to 1998. He turned around a struggling team that hadn’t had a winning season for 17 years. Within two years, Iowa was back with a winning season, and Fry’s Hawkeyes went on to win three Big Ten titles and play in 14 bowl games over the years. Prior to his years at Iowa, Fry coached in his native Texas at Southern Methodist University and Texas State. He played football at Baylor University and was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, where he played with the Quantico Marines football team. The main character of TV sitcom “Coach,” Hayden Fox, was named in honor of Fry.

The struggle goes on. 

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Hayden Fry was the beloved football coach at the University of Iowa for 20 seasons, from 1979 to 1998. He turned around a struggling team that hadn’t had a winning season for 17 years. Within two years, Iowa was back with a winning season, and Fry’s Hawkeyes went on to win three Big Ten titles and play in 14 bowl games over the years. Prior to his years at Iowa, Fry coached in his native Texas at Southern Methodist University and Texas State. He played football at Baylor University and was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps, where he played with the Quantico Marines football team. The main character of TV sitcom “Coach,” Hayden Fox, was named in honor of Fry.

The struggle goes on. 

Where is that from? They need to be corrected.