Kaedric Cobbs

Charlie NT 73

58 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

We only get 25 per year, we have more pressing needs which is why we have 2 PWO offers out to all-district running back’s presently.

This, plus the fact that SL stated the remaining scholarships would be held for transfers and JUCO's.  I think the PWO offers are due to the fact that we have 6 running backs on the roster with half being a redshirt senior (Nic Smith) or seniors (Johnson & Torrey).  Siggers is a redshirt junior, Adaway a redshirt freshman and a new name Nobriga is a redshirt sophmore.  We will add Johnson, who signed in December, to this class, but that only leaves us with three scholarship RB's after this year.

I agree that it is probably time to move on from Cobbs unless we were to blueshirt him.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Too bad for him.   You’d think a class Valedictorian might have more sense than to choose UTSA over Tulane.

On the flip side, we wonder how he wasn’t good enough for us given his academic and athletic accomplishments. Honestly I am puzzled.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

This is not the LB from Lake Dallas who is now in the NFL, running back is the least important position in football in 2020. When you factor in his 40 time (4.68) and the fact that on tape the majority of his broken tackles are from players bouncing off of him you can understand why we (and 126 other FBS schools) passed. I'm not saying he is a bad player and the 40 time doesn't scare me that much, but you have to wonder if he will shed tacklers like that at the FBS level. If that skill doesn't translate he's going to have a tough time being effective.

All thing considered I would have offered but at the same time, the players we are trying to sign with the last few spots are at crucial positions. Two JUCO tackles and two high school defensive lineman. Those are positions we have struggled to recruit, running back is not. We are set to lose three senior running backs next season and we will be able to pitch playing time to every RB we recruit. I just don't think we are going to rue the day we passed on him.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, UNTLifer said:

image.jpeg.294848db9a026b79cc8277f14e0d9d56.jpeg

I will give you that in college, a very talented running back will have way more of an impact that he would in the NFL. But this is not a 4* recruit with 30+ offers we turned away.

There are several truths in football that have been proven correct that I was skeptical of at first as well.

1- You don't have to run the ball well for play action to work

2- Running backs don't matter, offensive lines do

3- Running on 2nd and long (even after an incomplete pass) is the most inefficient thing a play caller can do.

2 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

3- Running on 2nd and long (even after an incomplete pass) is the most inefficient thing a play caller can do.

Plot twist: sometimes coaches call a play not to progress, but to see how a defense reacts.

Getting first downs is just as much a game of chess as it is a hard sprint from point A to point B.

16 hours ago, greenminer said:

Plot twist: sometimes coaches call a play not to progress, but to see how a defense reacts.

Getting first downs is just as much a game of chess as it is a hard sprint from point A to point B.

Three disjointed thoughts:

College teams put plenty of resources into analytics, and have for years. It brings an added advantage to situational football.

I do lean towards what Billy said. Dunno if Walsh is still the coach there, but I got a weird vibe from him during the Kevin Dillman deal.

Agree that we have more holes in other position groups. I'm sure there's an o-line pun there, but they may be saving the last scholarships on someone we don't know about yet to keep from getting sniped.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Three disjointed thoughts:

College teams put plenty of resources into analytics, and have for years. It brings an added advantage to situational football.

I do lean towards what Billy said. Dunno if Walsh is still the coach there, but I got a weird vibe from him during the Kevin Dillman deal.

Agree that we have more holes in other position groups. I'm sure there's an o-line pun there, but they may be saving the last scholarships on someone we don't know about yet to keep from getting sniped.

I honestly think Walsh focuses on sending his kids to P5 schools to boost his own reputation.  I don't take him as a coach that is bending over backwards to have kids sign where they are best suited.  What I mean is, he will put out the effort to have his best sign with a P5, but those at the G5 on down are left to fend for themselves.  No fact in that, just a speculation.

I like coaches that go to work for all of their kids and celebrate the kids that might sign with someone like Austin College as much as the kid that signs with Okie State.

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I honestly think Walsh focuses on sending his kids to P5 schools to boost his own reputation.  I don't take him as a coach that is bending over backwards to have kids sign where they are best suited.  What I mean is, he will put out the effort to have his best sign with a P5, but those at the G5 on down are left to fend for themselves.  No fact in that, just a speculation.

I like coaches that go to work for all of their kids and celebrate the kids that might sign with someone like Austin College as much as the kid that signs with Okie State.

I have no personal relationship to Walsh other than what I have been told by friends of mine, but this isn't true.  I know for a fact he has helped players who never even went to Guyer or played against Guyer get some type of opportunity, even at jucos.  He's the type of coach you love to hate if you're not on his side, but from what I've heard off the field he does what he can for all of his athletes and some that he never even coached, that says a lot to me.

As for all the people saying P.Cobbs knows Kaedric so well, why would he?  Guyer and Ryan never play and are in completely different classifications.  Maybe he knew him by name, but I'm not sure why he would know a lot of details about a player at a different school they have almost zero connection to.  We keep trying to come up with all these random reasons, but it really just seems like we wanted to bring in one RB this year and ours committed pretty early on.  Maybe we should have been on this earlier but we weren't, time will tell whether that was smart or not.  Looking forward to closing out signing day!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

I have no personal relationship to Walsh other than what I have been told by friends of mine, but this isn't true.  I know for a fact he has helped players who never even went to Guyer or played against Guyer get some type of opportunity, even at jucos.  He's the type of coach you love to hate if you're not on his side, but from what I've heard off the field he does what he can for all of his athletes and some that he never even coached, that says a lot to me.

As for all the people saying P.Cobbs knows Kaedric so well, why would he?  Guyer and Ryan never play and are in completely different classifications.  Maybe he knew him by name, but I'm not sure why he would know a lot of details about a player at a different school they have almost zero connection to.  We keep trying to come up with all these random reasons, but it really just seems like we wanted to bring in one RB this year and ours committed pretty early on.  Maybe we should have been on this earlier but we weren't, time will tell whether that was smart or not.  Looking forward to closing out signing day!

I don't think Walsh is having non-P5 kids 'fend for themselves'.  I think he's very involved with them.

However, for whatever reason, I think his perception of North Texas is closer to FCS than it is to Big12.
So when our coaches (and this goes back to Dodge/McCarney eras as well) come buzzing around Guyer looking for talent, he wants us to look at his FCS/DII guys.   Obviously, that's not what our coaches are after, so when those guys are spurned by our coaches, he gets frustrated.
I mean, we're not going to get a dude like Eli Stowers... but there are some other ballers at Guyer who can help NT.  We want them!  There are also some ballers at Guyer who can help Lamar & SFA.  We don't want them!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think Walsh is having non-P5 kids 'fend for themselves'.  I think he's very involved with them.

However, for whatever reason, I think his perception of North Texas is closer to FCS than it is to Big12.
So when our coaches (and this goes back to Dodge/McCarney eras as well) come buzzing around Guyer looking for talent, he wants us to look at his FCS/DII guys.   Obviously, that's not what our coaches are after, so when those guys are spurned by our coaches, he gets frustrated.
I mean, we're not going to get a dude like Eli Stowers... but there are some other ballers at Guyer who can help NT.  We want them!  There are also some ballers at Guyer who can help Lamar & SFA.  We don't want them!

This is closer to what I had heard about him.  My previous post probably wasn't fair to him.

• Upvote 1