Recruiting Philosophy on Commitments

El Paso Eagle

I bet Coach Scott is going to figure out that lots of recruits will just not commit to USF very early then. My guess would be that's what would have happened with Renfro. He would have just not committed as early as he did.

I think fans just need to get used to players changing their minds during recruiting. It's just part of the process. You'll win some and lose some.

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 4

It’s a silly analogy comparing marraige commitments to football but I’ll play along.

Flip that scenario above around and this is what I think happens some times.

If your asking her to marry you before she’s ready, and your a clueless fool if you don’t know by then wether she is or not, then your pressuring her into a commitment she’s probably not ready to make.  So don’t fall apart if in between now and then she changes her mind.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It’s a silly analogy comparing marraige commitments to football but I’ll play along.

Flip that scenario above around and this is what I think happens some times.

If your asking her to marry you before she’s ready, and your a clueless fool if you don’t know by then wether she is or not, then your pressuring her into a commitment she’s probably not ready to make.  So don’t fall apart if in between now and then she changes her mind.

Rick

Rick I don't mind so much a kid keeps his options open but when they openly talk about how they are ready to be here on one hand but then go out of their way to publicize how they are still looking I would have no problem with the offer being pulled. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

What works at Clemson is not going to work for the vast majority of teams. 

Most schools are going to believe that an iffy commitment is preferable to none for a coveted recruit.  A border line recruit maybe booted for shopping around, but not a top-line player. 

Commitments have always been an one side slanted deal. Schools generally honor their side, but players not as much so. 

It would do great harm for a school to reverse their ship offer for a committed player.  On the other side, there is little downside for a player.  

Recruiting is about as cut-throat as it gets.  Commitments don't mean anything to coaches that believe they can sign a player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Lot of cringe material there. Always thought that fans who liken de-committing to infidelity should probably step away from following recruiting. Comparing high school player commitments to marriage is... something.

Agree, but in this case you mean Coaches at Clemson and USF, right?  Because that’s who is comparing commitments to marraige.

Rick