Denton = Boomtown

Harry

4. Surprising Dallas neighbor declared the No. 2 boomtown in America. One North Texas city is booming like no other. Denton has catapulted to the No. 2 position among U.S. cities for economic and population growth, according to a new ranking from personal finance website SmartAsset released December 3.

read more:  http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/12-10-19-denton-dfw-boomtowns-frisco-mckinney/

NOOOOOOOO!, I moved backk here for the small town feel.  In the last six years it has gone crazy but we still have a lousy road system or just small towns road system.  NorthTexSports is right the construction is everywhere and it seems no one knows what is going on. They tear up major road running the same direction at the same time.  It makes for fun times.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Forgot to mention bad roads, and construction people doing half the job then starting another project (Bucees)

If you are referring to the I35E reconstruction in the area of Bucees, the City of Denton asked for a CR (Change Request) in the project after 35E construction had already begun (which included changes to the Loop 288/35E exchange). Rather than redo everything, it was decided to stop work on that section and rebid the work to a different contractor.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

If you are referring to the I35E reconstruction in the area of Bucees, the City of Denton asked for a CR (Change Request) in the project after 35E construction had already begun (which included changes to the Loop 288/35E exchange). Rather than redo everything, it was decided to stop work on that section and rebid the work to a different contractor.

The paper is saying 288 and I 35 intersection should be open in January.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This growth is transformational and good.   Mainly because for the first time Denton growth is bringing in high paying jobs.

• Jobs mean people can stay here after they graduate.
  • Alumni who live locally are much more likely to stay engaged with athletics.
  • People who are engages to athletics are much more likely to become financial supporters.

In the past, the effect of the enrollment growth was muted because 99% of them had to leave Denton to find employment.

Yeah, in my sporadic visits back, I've noticed this. Denton is crazy packed with people now and has definitely exploded since I graduated. Pretty sure it has doubled in size since I left. They have also kept some things the same in regards to the construction and trying to work multiple projects at once without finishing original projects. Both interesting and frustrating. Family and GF still loved it though

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

Imagine the size of Denton if the above problems didn't exist. 

Construction and traffic don't keep people from living in Denton.  If those things did that Houston and Los Angles would be ghost towns.

What keeps people from moving to Denton is lack of high paying jobs, hopefully that is changing. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, southsideguy said:

NOOOOOOOO!, I moved backk here for the small town feel.  In the last six years it has gone crazy but we still have a lousy road system or just small towns road system.  NorthTexSports is right the construction is everywhere and it seems no one knows what is going on. They tear up major road running the same direction at the same time.  It makes for fun times.

If you want to move, give me a call! I give discounts for UNT Alumni

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Construction and traffic don't keep people from living in Denton.  If those things did that Houston and Los Angles would be ghost towns.

What keeps people from moving to Denton is lack of high paying jobs, hopefully that is changing. 

City leadership helps prevent many of the businesses looking for a home from landing in Denton. Cities like Plano, Frisco, and McKinney are beating Denton and it's not even close.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2019/12/16/dallas-company-headed-to-plano-with-338-million-project/?utm_source=pushly/

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, UNTFan23 said:

City leadership helps prevent many of the businesses looking for a home from landing in Denton. Cities like Plano, Frisco, and McKinney are beating Denton and it's not even close.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2019/12/16/dallas-company-headed-to-plano-with-338-million-project/?utm_source=pushly/

Who could not beat Denton with city leadership.  One of the council members is/was a hairdresser.   I don't think any of our guys have a lot of business experience.  they worry about small town issues when the city is exploding around them.   I have notice our crime is increasing with the population increase.  

I guess I was wrong with thought that our city council and mayor are country bumpkins.   They are tearing up the job market  here and kicking asses and taking names in bringing business to Denton.  The crime I guess the DRC has fake news in the police blotter section.   

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3