Update on Coordinators?

TheColonyEagle

35 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If we run a 3-3-5 still I'll be highly disappointed. Was really hoping for a 4 man front

https://meangreensports.com/news/2019/12/19/football-bowen-named-mean-green-defensive-coordinator.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1sfhpjh8WoU1bZc2N7Gpzgipehzeimq83P4xJNPDBIxA845GtSWsZXbjw

From the article: 

Bowen has shown a flexible approach defensively built around the strengths of his rosters, employing both three-and four-man fronts successfully throughout his career as a coordinator. Bowen also has a proven track record coaching, evaluating and recruiting NFL talent, working with 27 NFL players throughout his career to date on his side of the ball.

• Upvote 5

On 12/19/2019 at 4:11 PM, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Agreed.  I know he can be difficult, but he's a hell of a coach.

Honest question because, 1, I don’t know and 2, I never really kept up with Mangino, but if he is so good why hasn’t he been coaching somewhere?

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Honest question because, 1, I don’t know and 2, I never really kept up with Mangino, but if he is so good why hasn’t he been coaching somewhere?

He's had problems everywhere he's been, even off the field, because of anger issues. Had them at Iowa State, had them at Kansas. Perceived as being rough on players (sometimes physically) and abusive towards refs. His exit from KU was ugly (much like Leach at Texas Tech). Back in Lawrence, he was kicked out of one of his son's high school games for arguing with the ref for what he thought was a late hit. A lot of schools don't want to touch that kind of baggage. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan

Kind of out there, but what about FAU's Charlie Weis Jr? He is very young, but his father knows offense and apparently he has spent all that time learning under dad at all his father's stops. I am just asking. May not come at a high cost because he needs to continue to build his resume. However football scoop is reporting him as a favorite to go to USF.

1 hour ago, Venson said:

Kind of out there, but what about FAU's Charlie Weis Jr? He is very young, but his father knows offense and apparently he has spent all that time learning under dad at all his father's stops. I am just asking. May not come at a high cost because he needs to continue to build his resume. However football scoop is reporting him as a favorite to go to USF.

Yeah he’s going to USF

On 12/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

https://meangreensports.com/news/2019/12/19/football-bowen-named-mean-green-defensive-coordinator.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1sfhpjh8WoU1bZc2N7Gpzgipehzeimq83P4xJNPDBIxA845GtSWsZXbjw

From the article: 

Bowen has shown a flexible approach defensively built around the strengths of his rosters, employing both three-and four-man fronts successfully throughout his career as a coordinator. Bowen also has a proven track record coaching, evaluating and recruiting NFL talent, working with 27 NFL players throughout his career to date on his side of the ball.

This is what any coach should do, right?  Adapt scheme to the talent available.  I never really had an issue with the 3-3-5. The issue I had was never changing out of it. It just felt like we were a one trick pony last year.  We could have easily run a 4-3 front in situations, but didn’t. Hope Bowen comes in here and lights a fire. I love it when we score,  but a good defense sure is fun to watch, too. GMG!

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks. With all of that, do we really want this guy?

Yes. Despite all of that, he's a hell of a coach and a proven winner. Took a down Kansas program and got them ranked as high as 2 in the country. He's still viewed highly in the KU community, and a lot of former players and people associated with the program speak highly of him. His teams are disciplined and he wouldn't take the quitting BS most of the team did this past season. Apparently, he's also mellowed out with age and lost weight. I know someone like him would elevate our team to the next level, for sure. I would love him here

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Felozano said:

This is what any coach should do, right?  Adapt scheme to the talent available.  I never really had an issue with the 3-3-5. The issue I had was never changing out of it. It just felt like we were a one trick pony last year.  We could have easily run a 4-3 front in situations, but didn’t. Hope Bowen comes in here and lights a fire. I love it when we score,  but a good defense sure is fun to watch, too. GMG!

Agreed and agreed

• Thanks 1