Update on Coordinators?

TheColonyEagle

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

True, but we didn’t a pretty good job with the right personnel last year in this scheme. 
Because if this year’s disaster people seem to have forgotten we only gave up 22 points a game last season. 
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/view/defense/stat/total/season/2018/table/passing/sort/totalPointsPerGame/dir/asc

I’m not saying 3-3-5 can’t work. Like you said, it has. I just think at a G5 school it is easier to recruit to a 4-3.

The linebackers you can get are usually smaller, so having 4 down linemen to keep the o-linemen off them makes sense. It’s hard to get a true quality nose tackle to a G5, and we really just have one in Novil but you could argue even he would shine more as a 4-3 DT. And I think the same for DE over a JACK linebacker. Guys who are big and athletic enough to thrive at that JACK position usually have plenty of P5 choices. And in 4 years we’ve only really seen 2 guys we recruited play that position in Wheeler and Ozougwu, who we brought in both right off the bat. Since then we haven’t been able to bring any new recruits to play that position to a level the coaches trust.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

On 12/12/2019 at 12:08 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So with these recruits coming in like crazy, is there a chance we get someone before ESD?

SL stated that the focus would be on recruits until signing day. Then he would turn his focus towards hiring new coordinators. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

On 12/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, hickoryhouse said:

Hey there, AD!!!  Can we please have some info or some action here?   Crickets and paint drying is getting old and seeing other coaches getting jobs is frustrating.

What could they announce?  Few employed candidates are going to want it to be known they are looking for another job. 

It is also possible that the coordinators have been chosen and NT is waiting at their request not to announce before recruits signing date.  

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Just a guess but I think Littrell might target a known winner from his past...

Gunter Brewer- current WR coach at Louisville ($370,000 annually)

Brewer was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina from 2012-17. In Littrell's final season at UNC, Brewer's offense scored 40 points or more 7 in games, and the team finished ranked 15th in the coaches and AP Polls. Early in his coaching career Brewer was an assistant coach at Oklahoma State, so he is familiar with recruiting this area.

https://gocards.com/staff-directory/gunter-brewer/1592

So Littrell was never OC at UNC?

5 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

So Littrell was never OC at UNC?

5 hours ago, dml7007 said:

He was Co-Offensive coordinator, but I believe Seth was the play caller.

Yeah, they used funny terminology for job titles--I think to get certain coaches better pay--but Seth ran the offense.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dml7007 said:

North Texas: Sources tell FootballScoop Seth Littrell is interested in Kansas safeties coach (and former defensive coordinator) Clint Bowen filling his open defensive coordinator role.

That is what we have been hearing. Was Willie Taggart DC at WKU. Then was Danny Mac 1st choice at DC at North Texas. Would be a solid Hire

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

But he was an improvement from Mendoza/Deloach 🤷‍♂️ 

After looking at the team stats, he was an upgrade on turnovers when compared to Deloach but slight downgrade on total D and scoring D. Comparing him to the Skladany 2012 season, Bowen was also better on turnovers there and worse on total D and scoring D. I say he is worth a shot.

Also, if we are getting the Kansas band back together, I say we bring on Ed Warinner as OC/co-oline coach and bring in a QB coach to go with him, maybe some up and comer like Riley Dodge who is popular with HS coaches and players plus knows how to teach the QB position better than just about anyone.

Edited by Cr1028

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

He knows Bowen from his time at KU under Mangino.    Mangino is very close to NT's program.   I wonder if Littrell is thinking of bringing Mangino on in some capacity as well.

Bowen coaches a 3-3-5 scheme as his base as well, so we have the personnel for it... but I was kinda hoping for a change there.

I would love having Mangino here

• Upvote 1