Who is your all-time favorite NT basketball player?

97and03

Easily, for me, it was Jesse Ratliff. Loved that guy—and he was a scorer, played for both Jimmy Gales and Tim Jankovich. 

Ill never forget the night he scored 45 against UTSA when he became our second leading scorer of all time. He scored and broke the record while we were behind by like 15 points. After that, he went off and we fought back to win the game late. One of my favorite memories as a student at UNT...

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, greenminer said:

I just read up on Worrell's tenure, the 1988 team's success, and it dawned on me: that was the same year as the Longhorn football game.

What a heck of an era to be a part of Mean Green athletics!

It was..

1st trip to the Big Dance in school history in Salt Lake City, which I fortunately got to travel with the team to.  

Beat Texas Tech in football in Lubbottocks, beat Rice in Houston, the team was ranked #1 in FCS for 6-8 weeks which brought  the DFW media up to Denton many times to cover the program.

A great time while it lasted for sure.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, drex said:

Deon Hunter..

Can't believe I forgot about Hunter.  I ran into him in the early 00's while working at the Baylor-Tom Landry Center.  He was helping with a basketball camp.  Great guy, and as you stated, very personable.

John Savage (as many mentioned)

Jim Mudd - even though he played only 2 seasons in Denton, he appears near the top in several all-time school categories.  He averaged 25.2 points per game and 11.5 rebounds/game.  In addition, he earned All Missouri Valley Conference team honors both years and at one time was the ninth leading scorer in the nation.   Playing in the Missouri Valley Conference, Mudd went up against many formidable opponents including Cincinnati (#1 in the country), Bradley, St. Louis, Houston, and Wichita State.  His battles with Cincinnati’s Oscar Robertson were amazing. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, FirefightnRick said:

It was..

1st trip to the Big Dance in school history in Salt Lake City, which I fortunately got to travel with the team to.  

Beat Texas Tech in football in Lubbottocks, beat Rice in Houston, the team was ranked #1 in FCS for 6-8 weeks which brought  the DFW media up to Denton many times to cover the program.

A great time while it lasted for sure.

Rick

My 8th grade son and I were on the same team flight. The night before our tournament we saw Mavericks play Utah Jazz. In addition, the 2nd tournament game was between Wyoming and  L.M. coached by Paul Westhead which was the best college basketball game I have ever attended. There must have been over 225 points scored.

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2019 at 9:54 PM, drex said:

Spud Webb...not good enough for Tommy Newman, but good enough for the NBA.  Unbelievable.

Webb was not good enough for most teams until North Carolina State came calling.

Look at this unbelievable video if you want to see an extreme example of his dunking ability, about 50 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/fk-t2HnXfy4

Edited by GrandGreen