Kendel Briles out at FSU

Withers940

If we want Briles, we better be prepared to back the Brinks truck up to his house and unload some money. FSU signed him at a base salary of 200k with another 800k in compensation. I am sure there are programs at the P5 level that are willing to pay close to that amount. I think that is a little too rich for UNTs blood. If we paid that amount, then people would know we are serious, but it would take a lot to get us back in the black.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Venson said:

If we want Briles, we better be prepared to back the Brinks truck up to his house and unload some money. FSU signed him at a base salary of 200k with another 800k in compensation. I am sure there are programs at the P5 level that are willing to pay close to that amount. I think that is a little too rich for UNTs blood. If we paid that amount, then people would know we are serious, but it would take a lot to get us back in the black.

I don't think he'll get another P5 job though, so the million-dollar salary may have to wait.   
Meanwhile, I don't know what he made while at Houston just over a year ago, but I bet it was around $500k, and I think NT could make that happen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think he'll get another P5 job though, so the million-dollar salary may have to wait.   
Meanwhile, I don't know what he made while at Houston just over a year ago, but I bet it was around $500k, and I think NT could make that happen.

500k we could make work. I really think that is where we have to go to get a great DC and OC.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Not sure it’s worth the risk of alienating the students. We had 11k students at one game, 8k plus at a couple others.  It’s the metoo era, that won’t like that hire.

I don’t think the ones that watch football would care as long as we win. The only students that would throw a fit would be the ones that have never stepped foot in Apogee Stadium. The ones that wanted to block the athletics fee, those types.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think the ones that watch football would care as long as we win. The only students that would throw a fit would be the ones that have never stepped foot in Apogee Stadium. The ones that wanted to block the athletics fee, those types.

Today’s kids are the same ones that went to school when you did.  This is very important to all of them.

Just now, Cerebus said:

Today’s kids are the same ones that went to school when you did.  This is very important to all of them.

I’m not sure I follow. The kids today grew up in a different world than I did. The kids that went to school when I did likely wouldn’t care what an OC did or didn’t do 3 jobs ago. And I don’t see how any particular thing could be important to every single one of them short of the university shutting down.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

Kiffin definitely knows his stuff and his people. That is a great hire imo. I might have to check out some of their games to be honest, he is laying one hell of a foundation there.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not sure I follow. The kids today grew up in a different world than I did. The kids that went to school when I did likely wouldn’t care what an OC did or didn’t do 3 jobs ago. And I don’t see how any particular thing could be important to every single one of them short of the university shutting down.

MeToo movement, feminist ideas, equality... all incredibly important to the kids attending university right now.

Even the ones who don’t follow that thinking sure as hell don’t want to be seen as anti any of that.

Hire someone like Briles and all it would take is one group on campus to start tweeting and and then maybe the student side looks like the UAB game every Saturday for a year.

For the first time ever the administration is doing a great job of getting students to turn out. Those are our future donors, it would be so very old Denton to empty the revolver into our own foot because of this.

Wet pay enough now to hire a good coordinator without baggage.

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

MeToo movement, feminist ideas, equality... all incredibly important to the kids attending university right now.

Even the ones who don’t follow that thinking sure as hell don’t want to be seen as anti any of that.

Hire someone like Briles and all it would take is one group on campus to start tweeting and and then maybe the student side looks like the UAB game every Saturday for a year.

For the first time ever the administration is doing a great job of getting students to turn out. Those are our future donors, it would be so very old Denton to empty the revolver into our own foot because of this.

My #1 would be to bring Fedora in.  That would be simply amazing.   
Otherwise Briles would be a #2.   And that's mainly due to Littrell's no-nonsense, straightforward approach.  He can be trusted.  Briles cannot, yet.

Genuine question: Did Houston lose a lot of student fans when Briles was there a season ago?   I keep going back to that scenario because I believe it would be VERY similar if Briles were to show up here...  Similar school size & demographics.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

So you are saying that their is zero parity between our student football watching population and those at UH, FAU, and FSU? 

You make a valid point if we had been FAU hiring him in 2017 but, If he came (and I doubt he would), we would be Kendal’s 4th job since Baylor and I don’t think the 3 programs he’s served at since BU are any worse off in student attendance or donor participation than before he showed up.

You can’t please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Heck, our O-line coach has 8 major NCAA rules violations including lack of institutional control on his resume. It seems to me the metoo feminist equality groups you mentioned above don’t turn out to football games in large numbers except to hold up signs and complain about something. That would go on for a little bit and the traditional football fans would ignore them and they would go away after a few weeks.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So you are saying that their is zero parity between our student football watching population and those at UH, FAU, and FSU? 

FAU has a student football watching population?

Image result for one fan in the stands"

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, Cr1028 said:

Those kids are the ones that start random protest in the middle of UNT. They are sensitive as hell too. I wish that more students cared, but I'll be dead by then lol

Also would we rather have Briles, but lose students?  Now that is a stretch, but I'm just saying. We aren't the richest university

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Those kids are the ones that start random protest in the middle of UNT. They are sensitive as hell too. I wish that more students cared, but I'll be dead by then lol

Also would we rather have Briles, but lose students?  Now that is a stretch, but I'm just saying. We aren't the richest university

So once again were talking about students who say you must be inclusive and accept everyone possibly protesting because they don't accept someone? 🤔

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Take it from a recent graduate.. most of the students that actually go to the games don’t give a damn about any baggage a coach may bring.

Wins cure all. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2