C-USA championship

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The real sad part is that UAB is the closest West team to Boca Raton and it didn’t add anything to help CUSA attendance either.

Its just a bad conference setup. Not much you can do about it now. It is what it is.

I’ll go back to it, but the two conferences need to look like this:

UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Texas State, La Tech, and Arky state in the West

Rice, ULL, ULM, USM, Troy, and UAB in the East.

Marshall, WKU, MUTS, ODU, Appy State, Coastal Carolina in the North

FAU, FIU, Ga state, Ga Southern, South Alabama and Charlotte in the South

That makes to much sense. I would flip USA and Troy but otherwise this would be best for all parties. Regional conference and allows for driveable games for all fans., with exception of the FU's

42 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The real sad part is that UAB is the closest West team to Boca Raton and it didn’t add anything to help CUSA attendance either.

Its just a bad conference setup. Not much you can do about it now. It is what it is.

This looks good. Call East/West a new conference and North/South a new conference. 

Nevertheless, something has to happen. It just has to. I truly don't think anyone is happy with this setup. The teams associated with CUSA are crumbling from whatever relevant perch they were on. It's pretty frustrating. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/9/2019 at 11:37 AM, untjim1995 said:

I like it.

Two problems, though:

1 - LaTech in the same conference as ULL and, especially, ULM.  They've been on record saying they will never sign up for this

2 - USM, Troy and UAB all still recruit Florida and Georgia pretty heavily.  They'd get no access in this alignment and would have to shift west to Texas.  My guess is that they wouldn't be on board with doing that without incentives.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I like it.

Two problems, though:

1 - LaTech in the same conference as ULL and, especially, ULM.  They've been on record saying they will never sign up for this

2 - USM, Troy and UAB all still recruit Florida and Georgia pretty heavily.  They'd get no access in this alignment and would have to shift west to Texas.  My guess is that they wouldn't be on board with doing that without incentives.

La Tech would just need to get off their high horse then. Independence would suck for them if they don’t want to conform to this reality of the level they play at.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.  Adjust your aim higher then.

The fanbase wants closer trips to go watch us play easier and hates the Western Time Zones because of newspapers and stuff. So the MWC is out, even if there was the possibility of coming back to Texas, which they are just waiting for TCU, Baylor, and other Big XII leftovers.

As long as TV matters, which is all these conferences seem to value for networks, we are screwed. Look, UConn is leaving the AAC and they won’t even consider adding ANYONE because they see no TV market value to add. So, it’s SBCUSA. And the current model of their setup is ridiculous. We don’t need to be in a conference with F_U. Old Dominion doesn’t need to be in a conference with UT-spares. Sane for Texas State and GA-spares.

What we have now just costs more for less coverage and interest. The CUSA West is fine. But it needs to be matched with an East that is no further away than Alabama, not the Atlantic Ocean. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, forevereagle said:

There was at least one of the P5 conferences on Fox and another on CBS.

True, but the SEC were on CBS' national broadcast and the Big XII (I believe) was on Fox's national broadcast.  Everybody else was basically tied to ESPN in some way except us.  Commish Judy got us on the CBSSports cable channel, which is included on a lot of cable packages, but, if like mine, is buried in the channels and not one you run across unless searching for it.  Obviously, the conference has to get a better media deal.

20 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Splitting up the sunbelt and CUSA to create an actual geographic footprint that makes sense for everyone involved. 

I would be all for that as well, but as we have learned in the past, we can wish in one hand and crap in the other.  Guess which one fills up first?

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I would be all for that as well, but as we have learned in the past, we can wish in one hand and crap in the other.  Guess which one fills up first?

Yeah, right. But it needs to happen. University presidents must get together and force this upon the current commissioners.  It's not about wishing, it's about the leaders of our universities and conferences having the foresight and wherewithal to actually be worth their salaries. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

True, but the SEC were on CBS' national broadcast and the Big XII (I believe) was on Fox's national broadcast.  Everybody else was basically tied to ESPN in some way except us.  Commish Judy got us on the CBSSports cable channel, which is included on a lot of cable packages, but, if like mine, is buried in the channels and not one you run across unless searching for it.  Obviously, the conference has to get a better media deal.

Big XII, Pac 12, and ACC were on ABC. SEC was on CBS. B1G was on Fox. MAC, SBC, MWC, and AAC were on ESPN products.

CUSA--"Hey, we could've just streamed it on Facebook!! And based on the attendance, maybe it didn't even need to be streamed or broadcast at all!!" 

CUSA West is the best we have ever had for a conference setup in 50+ years---but it doesn't take away from the fact that it is a horrible conference. The Texas schools in CUSA are all terrible. Basically, CUSA West was a race between the physicality of La Tech, USM, and UAB, all of which play defense and have huge linemen. F_Us are the same way over in the East. We play Texas HS system ball here, which means we focus on spread offense, hike the ball from 7 yards behind the scrimmage on 3rd and 1, and cant tackle or cover for $hit. Basically, the entire state falls into this rut--when Baylor becomes the state's bell cow, you know that the system is failing to produce developable talent to compete beyond these borders against really good competition. It sucks, but it isn't changing anytime soon either.

• Upvote 1