Little Rock (12/7/19)

CMJ

26 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We need fans to show up. 

Fans and students look at now 4-6 and say oh they aren't good. That win was very good, and if we can keep it up and maybe shock Dayton, we will have people show up for sure. Now we do play Arkansas Pine Bluff and Texas Weslyn during Christmas break soo...

What a domination! Probably the best overall team win this year. Shooting was tremendous, and hopefully the 10 days before Dayton doesn't affect us. 

Mo is continuing to just pour in buckets, but also was the leading rebounder! He has stepped up so much. Scored 23

#beatDayton

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Fans and students look at now 4-6 and say oh they aren't good. That win was very good, and if we can keep it up and maybe shock Dayton, we will have people show up for sure. Now we do play Arkansas Pine Bluff and Texas Weslyn during Christmas break soo...

On the flip side, 16-1 got people to show up for a bit but then we flopped because we just weren’t good enough to really warrant the hype. You’re definitely right about a lot of people just strictly looking at the record. Which is why I’m not sure how much a Dayton win alone would make a difference.

Either way, I think this is pretty clearly the best Mccasland team and, win or lose against Dayton, as long as we keep getting better the way we have been we’re going to have our best conference showing at this rate.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Just now, BillySee58 said:

On the flip side, 16-1 got people to show up for a bit but then we flopped because we just weren’t good enough to really warrant the hype. You’re definitely right about a lot of people just strictly looking at the record. Which is why I’m not sure how much a Dayton win alone would make a difference.

Either way, I think this is pretty clearly the best Mccasland team and, win or lose against Dayton, as long as we keep getting better the way we have been we’re going to have our best conference showing at this rate.

True, but people see the top 25 ranking on dayton and see us beating them is intriguing. 

If we can keep it close, and start C-USA play with a bang we should have great fan support. Luckily, the WKU game (1st conference game) is on ESPNU 

• Upvote 2

Just now, BillySee58 said:

Way too early to say it's his best team.

Let's see how we do in CUSA first.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

If we don't go at least 9-9 in conference, I'm gonna be quoting several of you, that's all I'm saying.

I'm not even certain I'd necessarily say a one game improvement in the CUSA means it's his best team either, but that'd at least be a decent metric.  Right now it just looks like it might be his best squad, but we're a third of the way through the season and I've seen plenty of talented teams do jack.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

True, but people see the top 25 ranking on dayton and see us beating them is intriguing. 

Figuring out how to remedy UNT attendance issues is something that we have countless discussions on here about for a reason. For the fans who care enough to post on here, most of us just go to as many games as we can. But for the people who don’t, yet make up a big chunk of the people who can favorably swing attendance for us, it’s hard to figure out. But based on history it seems that it takes quite a few wins, rather than just one big one, to go from what we had today to what we really want it to look like.

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

If we can keep it close, and start C-USA play with a bang we should have great fan support. Luckily, the WKU game (1st conference game) is on ESPNU 

Which is why I said the Dayton win alone isn’t going to flip the attendance issue overnight. Build up a good conference 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CMJ said:

If we don't go at least 9-9 in conference, I'm gonna be quoting several of you, that's all I'm saying.

I'm not even certain I'd necessarily say a one game improvement in the CUSA means it's his best team either, but that'd at least be a decent metric.  Right now it just looks like it might be his best squad, but we're a third of the way through the season and I've seen plenty of talented teams do jack.

Holding people accountable for takes is the right thing to do lol (shoutout Cold Takes Exposed). I really don’t get “pump the brakes” guy, but it usually is a smart fan like yourself in that role. I’m perfectly fine being held accountable if I’m wrong, but as long as I’m not actually part of the team, I really don’t get why it’s seen as some sort of dangerous thing to state. But whether I state it or not, it’s definitely my thought watching this team. Especially having been to about 90% of the home games during Mccasland’s tenure.

• Upvote 1

Probably not (as far as holding people accountable), I hope this turns out to be a helluva season.  I've just seen many a good team under perform to expectations.  I try not to look ahead and make proclamations this early.  Especially given how both of Coach's previous teams faltered in the second half of league play.

Edited by CMJ
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Probably not (as far as holding people accountable), I hope this turns out to be a helluva season.  I've just seen many a good team under perform to expectations.  I try not to look ahead and make proclamations this early.  Especially given how both of Coach's previous teams faltered in the second half of league play.

Making predictions after the season, is not much fun or a big challenge. 

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

I've found it's better to enjoy the journey then get your hopes up and have them dashed.

My expectations and hopes are based on how the team plays. The way they have played, they have built expectation for me. Whether I state it on here or not wouldn’t change how bad it would suck if they fall short of that.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

My expectations and hopes are based on how the team plays. The way they have played, they have built expectation for me. Whether I state it on here or not wouldn’t change how bad it would suck if they fall short of that.

I've just seen too many teams part way through a season look like world beaters and not sustain it.  And not just NT...I'm saying basically every sport....college, pro...what have you. 

I'm not saying I don't think we could be good.  I just don't think we can say "clearly" this is Mac's best team.  Especially when we haven't played a single league game yet.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Figuring out how to remedy UNT attendance issues is something that we have countless discussions on here about for a reason. For the fans who care enough to post on here, most of us just go to as many games as we can. But for the people who don’t, yet make up a big chunk of the people who can favorably swing attendance for us, it’s hard to figure out. But based on history it seems that it takes quite a few wins, rather than just one big one, to go from what we had today to what we really want it to look like.

Which is why I said the Dayton win alone isn’t going to flip the attendance issue overnight. Build up a good conference 

That WKU game last year showed something. We were rolling (ish) going into that game, and after just started to lose. Our students like winning, and thats the only way we get the stands full. Unless we pull another Tony Mitchell

Just now, CMJ said:

I've just seen too many teams part way through a season look like world beaters and not sustain it.  And not just NT...I'm saying basically every sport....college, pro...what have you. 

I'm not saying I don't think we could be good.  I just don't think I can say "clearly" this is out best team.  Especially when we haven't played a single league game yet.

I’m not speaking on your behalf and I’m not asking you to say this is our best team 🙂 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1