G5 playoff talk?

greenminer

31 minutes ago, greenminer said:

As long as the NCAA does not recognize the G5/P5 nomenclature, we are all part of the same FBS conversation.

Yeah, the Power-5 schools definitely look at us as their peers. As do the bowl committees, who rarely match a G5 vs a P5 anymore. I understand there’s no official distinction, but it’s already there in practice. We are in between P5 and FCS like he said. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The same NCAA that has no say at all in how power leagues control the sport of college football?

The same schools that allow a G5 wildcard spot in the CFP

I get what you’re saying, but we have just enough say with the P5 that they had to give us this slot. They still have bowl contracts that pair them with us. There is still something there that allows the Boise States and Houstons of the world hope for a phone call.

we are not totally separate. Not yet anyways.

• Upvote 1

I guess my question for those that are opposed to this scenario....what other REALISTIC option do we have?

We could go 12-0 three years in a row....and we would still not get in the playoff.

*edit* We could get into the AAC or MWC....go 12-0 three years in a row...and we still would not get in the playoff.

So what other option do we have? "A G5 playoff would "officially" separate us." What difference does it make if we're officially or unofficially separated. We're still separated. And always will be. 

It seems to me that P5 will never ever expand again. So even UCF, Memphis, Boise....those that have dreams of getting to P5 won't. I got into a discussion with a Memphis fan about this. My argument was (and this goes for Houston too): like it or not....in the grand scheme of things....we're equal. He then went on to to tell me about his facilities....and coaching salaries....and record......he was in denial. Just like Houston. You can pay your coach $4 million. You can pay your coach $10 million. Yes...AAC is better than CUSA. But the SEC and the Big 12 don't care about either one of us equally. Alabama doesn't see a difference between the AAC and CUSA because they're not P5. The big 12 still doesn't want you because it doesn't need you. Memphis will never be P5 because P5 doesn't need them. So there's not reason for the top 5 conferences to include the bottom 5 conferences. Trust me....I don't like it either.

For "G5" schools to demand inclusion.....we have to have leverage. What is our leverage? "Hey NCAA....put us in or else" 

Or else what?

Edited by TheColonyEagle

The real question here....if there was a "G5 Playoff" would TV carry it and give attention to it? That's the real question. Is there a scenario where the media would support it?

Yes? Then it's worth a look.

If no....then you have to ask is it more or less than they cover us now. (trick question....it CAN'T be less that zero)

Seems to me that the FCS playoff is getting more coverage than it used to....

8 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I guess my question for those that are opposed to this scenario....what other REALISTIC option do we have?

We could go 12-0 three years in a row....and we would still not get in the playoff.

I'm not sure.  Certainly with a low-key OOC schedule.  I'd like to see where we'd be if we went undefeated two or three years running, which included 1 or 2 top-15 wins each season.

46 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The real question here....if there was a "G5 Playoff" would TV carry it and give attention to it? That's the real question. Is there a scenario where the media would support it?

Yes? Then it's worth a look.

If no....then you have to ask is it more or less than they cover us now. (trick question....it CAN'T be less that zero)

Seems to me that the FCS playoff is getting more coverage than it used to....

If there was a playoff in December, the networks would televise it over spare bowls...that we G5’s all play in.

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If there was a playoff in December, the networks would televise it over spare bowls...that we G5’s all play in.

It seems to me they would? 

So the next question is: "ESPN brass....what would you rather televise? the Boca and Frisco bowl or a playoff?"

I honestly don't know the answer.....someone is making money off these poorly attended and watched games...still don't understand who or how.

The challenge is....the top 5-10 "G5" programs would be the ones against it.....because they would think they're above it. In which I still don't understand why they think that.

AAC is better than CUSA.....but it doesn't mean anything. 

A 2 loss SEC team will get in over an undefeated G5 every single time. So what are we talking about?

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The challenge is....the top 5-10 "G5" programs would be the ones against it.....because they would think they're above it. In which I still don't understand why they think that.

AAC is better than CUSA.....but it doesn't mean anything. 

A 2 loss SEC team will get in over an undefeated G5 every single time. So what are we talking about?

I think that's the real problem--the AAC and some MWC programs see themselves as something they are not. 

I mean how many times can the Power Conferences and their playoffs, bowl system, and networks show you how little they care? 

I just find it amazing that this group of schools allow themselves to be stuck in some kind of championship purgatory. "Come coach and play your ass off here, and fans shell out cash and your time here--all so you can hope to finish in a bowl game that is a bone to your entire group and you'll never ever get to be a national champion!!" Again, every pee wee, youth, middle school, high school, JUCO, every level of college football but G5s, the NFL, and any other professional outfit all crown a champion. Only one level doesn't...what doesn't seem right here?

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I think that's the real problem--the AAC and some MWC programs see themselves as something they are not. 

I mean how many times can the Power Conferences and their playoffs, bowl system, and networks show you how little they care? 

I just find it amazing that this group of schools allow themselves to be stuck in some kind of championship purgatory. "Come coach and play your ass off here, and fans shell out cash and your time here--all so you can hope to finish in a bowl game that is a bone to your entire group and you'll never ever get to be a national champion!!" Again, every pee wee, youth, middle school, high school, JUCO, every level of college football but G5s, the NFL, and any other professional outfit all crown a champion. Only one level doesn't...what doesn't seem right here?

I used to be opposed to it....but I've changed my mind. I don't see any other option. (Please someone convince me otherwise)

IMO the "split" between the Power Conferences and the G5 will only continue to widen. Look at the budget differences. Call it what you want but the resources, especially behind the scenes (examples analyst) is growing wider and wider.

The G5 schools need to start thinking of the best ways to strengthen their position for the storm that will be coming. IMO, and I could be VERY wrong, I think the following is coming.

The P5 will soon be the P4 (good chance they split for what we currently know as the NCAA) . I think you will see a combination of the current conferences, with some of the "lower" P5's left out. I think the movements to openly pay players will cause this sooner rather than later. 

There will be a restructuring in the G5 ranks. Schools that were former P5's, most of the current G5's and perhaps some of the current upper level FBS teams will be in the "second" level. The key is they need to work together and position themselves to be successful as possible. If the "Super" conferences come about the money for the others will be harder to come by.

The G5's, or whatever they end up being called need to figure out a way to work together on regional conferences. Schools that think they are too good to be in a conference with other regional schools need to find out a way to make this work.

One last thing I would like to see. G5's, or whatever we might be called need to charge an "arm and a leg" to the Power/Super conferences to play them in games, especially if there is not a return game.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I used to be opposed to it....but I've changed my mind. I don't see any other option. (Please someone convince me otherwise)

Because I don't want to ever be put in the scenario of playing Akron for a "national" championship. There, hope that helps. 

Go FCS or hold out. We are spending too much money, way too much, for the above scenario to be our glass ceiling. 

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because I don't want to ever be put in the scenario of playing Akron for a "national" championship. There, hope that helps. 

Go FCS or hold out. We are spending too much money, way too much, for the above scenario to be our glass ceiling. 

Play Akron (bit of a stretch but I'll go with it) for a championship 

or

Play Akron for a meaningless bowl game

??

3 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Play Akron (bit of a stretch but I'll go with it) for a championship 

or

Play Akron for a meaningless bowl game

??

Definitely meaningless bowl. 

But to question the definition of meaningless in regards to bowl games, aren't they all sort of meaningless? 

There is no way we can pit ourselves against ourselves. 

We have to get the bottom feeding 35-40 "P5" programs on our side for this to change. They have to understand that they are merely a pog in the system so the bluebloods can exist. Once they fully understand that, though it may time time, they will lean to our side and that will cause an internal implosion that may cause action. We have to hang around for that and see how the cards fall. Once they fall and if our situation stays pat, then it's all whatever at that point. 

To add, college basketball, baseball, lax, golf, wrestling, water polo, soccer, volleyball, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ALL have a path for ALL teams to maybe one day win a true national championship EXCEPT football. There is a fundamental problem to that that needs rectification. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Definitely meaningless bowl. 

But to question the definition of meaningless in regards to bowl games, aren't they all sort of meaningless? 

There is no way we can pit ourselves against ourselves. 

We have to get the bottom feeding 35-40 "P5" programs on our side for this to change. They have to understand that they are merely a pog in the system so the bluebloods can exist. Once they fully understand that, though it may time time, they will lean to our side and that will cause an internal implosion that may cause action. We have to hang around for that and see how the cards fall. Once they fall and if our situation stays pat, then it's all whatever at that point. 

So my question was gonna be when you say “hold out”.......hold out for what?

But I think you answered it. 

the problem with waiting on the bottom P5s is they’re not going to change. The top G5’s won’t even change....

Edited by TheColonyEagle

19 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

IMO the "split" between the Power Conferences and the G5 will only continue to widen. Look at the budget differences. Call it what you want but the resources, especially behind the scenes (examples analyst) is growing wider and wider.

The G5 schools need to start thinking of the best ways to strengthen their position for the storm that will be coming. IMO, and I could be VERY wrong, I think the following is coming.

The P5 will soon be the P4 (good chance they split for what we currently know as the NCAA) . I think you will see a combination of the current conferences, with some of the "lower" P5's left out. I think the movements to openly pay players will cause this sooner rather than later. 

There will be a restructuring in the G5 ranks. Schools that were former P5's, most of the current G5's and perhaps some of the current upper level FBS teams will be in the "second" level. The key is they need to work together and position themselves to be successful as possible. If the "Super" conferences come about the money for the others will be harder to come by.

The G5's, or whatever they end up being called need to figure out a way to work together on regional conferences. Schools that think they are too good to be in a conference with other regional schools need to find out a way to make this work.

One last thing I would like to see. G5's, or whatever we might be called need to charge an "arm and a leg" to the Power/Super conferences to play them in games, especially if there is not a return game.

Bravo—I’ve written this same thing for years now on here.

Its Ok to admit we aren’t UT, A&M, OU, LSU, etc. We never have been close to even the Texas Tech’s, Baylor’s, and TCU for funding and conference affiliation.

I think it would be so much better than the old 1-aa because teams in the G5 now are much more well-known now. We aren’t playing a game against Nicholls State or Sanford. It would be a playoff with solid programs in the SBCUSA and MAC, as well as the MWC and AAC. And here’s the other thing—you can still have bowls. Don’t make the 16 team playoff? Go play in the Weedeater Bowl against another G5. It can be done to get both done.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So my question was gonna be when you say “hold out”.......hold out for what?

But I think you answered it. 

the problem with waiting on the bottom P5s is they’re not going to change. The top G5’s won’t even change....

Once a concrete pay structure is adopted as it inevitably will be, change will occur. It's not about if, it's when. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove