G5 playoff talk?

greenminer

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Playoffs would be an additional revenue stream for these conferences. I think every division in football has a playoff except us! Even in high school.

Thanks. But nope. 

And last I checked we ARE FBS D1! 

Do not give in or it will forever be a regret. Get conference commissioners in these 5 conferences that have a damn backbone who are willing to fight for inclusion. Relegating ourselves, in an unforced move, would be the end of ANY legitimate college football aspirations. Might as well have all of the schools drop to FCS. Helluva way to save money if we go for this BS. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, CK4 said:

Also the AAC and possibly the MWC wouldn't cooperate with making this "playoff". It would be a 3 way thing between the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA

The AAC and Mountain West are certainly the best G5 conferences. There is no question there. But you need to realize that there is a much bigger difference between the P5 and AAC/MWC, than there is between AAC/MWC and the rest of the G5. The AAC can call themselves "P6" all they want, but they aren't power anything. If this were to ever actually happen (and I pray it doesn't), it would be a five conference deal.

Edited by NTSU52
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NTSU52 said:

The ACC and Mountain West are certainly the best G5 conferences. There is no question there. But you need to realize that there is a much bigger difference between the P5 and ACC/MWC, than there is between ACC/MWC and the rest of the G5. The ACC can call themselves "P6" all they want, but they aren't power anything. If this were to ever actually happen (and I pray it doesn't), it would be a five conference deal.

AAC does not equal the actual Power Conference member, the ACC... although the AAC Marketing team is happy you've got it mixed up.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CK4 said:

@greenminer That video is from 3 years ago you dingus.

Also the AAC and possibly the MWC wouldn't cooperate with making this "playoff". It would be a 3 way thing between the MAC, Sun Belt and CUSA

It came up near the top of a YouTube search for college football G5. Hope I didn’t ruin your day.

your second comment is trollIng because you’re butt hurt the P5 won’t cooperate with the AAC and MWC. You’re stuck with us, dingleberry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pavlovs Eagle said:

AAC does not equal the actual Power Conference member, the ACC... although the AAC Marketing team is happy you've got it mixed up.

I know... just got the initials wrong. Just to be clear, I was referring to the American Athletic Conference. 

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

If you are afraid of the P5 breaking away from the G5, I think this is not good.  This kind of exclusion from our end only reinforces the notion that we (G5) are not a part of the same game as them (P5).

This is 100% on point.   The P5's would like nothing better.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

If you are afraid of the P5 breaking away from the G5, I think this is not good.  This kind of exclusion from our end only reinforces the notion that we (G5) are not a part of the same game as them (P5).

3 hours ago, akriesman said:

Yep. It amazes me that there are people who still don't get it. It would be the final nail in the coffin in separating from the P5. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, akriesman said:

I disagree. The P5s don't care. The bigger programs get money games and an FBS opponent to beat up on. Extra win to keep fans happy. The schools don't care about G5.

However coaches do. Say you are Charlie Strong, fired from Texas, fired from USF, he surely doesn't want to go to Montana State over North Texas. They pay their coach 180k and we pay Littrell like 1.3 million? Big difference in FCS and G5 in my opinion. Coaches know it all to well. 

The big programs don't care about this topic because at the end of the day they already have a monopoly so they don't care. It benefits really no one to form some new G5 league with an irrelevant JV playoff. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, UNTexas said:

I disagree. The P5s don't care. The bigger programs get money games and an FBS opponent to beat up on. Extra win to keep fans happy. The schools don't care about G5.

However coaches do. Say you are Charlie Strong, fired from Texas, fired from USF, he surely doesn't want to go to Montana State over North Texas. They pay their coach 180k and we pay Littrell like 1.3 million? Big difference in FCS and G5 in my opinion. Coaches know it all to well. 

The big programs don't care about this topic because at the end of the day they already have a monopoly so they don't care. It benefits really no one to form some new G5 league with an irrelevant JV playoff. 

Exactly this. G5s would be so much better off having their own FCS style playoff system to be played during early and mid December. You would have an entire month (basically) to yourself. Plus, almost every G5 bowl opponent is another G5. And the P5s who get stuck playing a G5 hate it and basically dictate to the bowl committee what G5 they find acceptable (see FSU and the I-Bowl in 2017 when they preferred USM over UNT).

G5 administrators aren't going to disturb the apple cart because: 

1.)they want to move up to new jobs AT THE P5 schools

2.)they need the cash for their athletic departments

So the real losers here are exactly the chumps that always get taken advantage of every year--the G5 players, coaches, and especially, their fans.

If any of you are under the illusion that we G5s will ever be given a shot (of any kind) to be in a playoff system with P5s, you must believe in unicorns and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever. And the Power Leagues are much closer to dropping folks than they are to adding--see 2025 when the Big XII's GOR expires and programs like Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas move on to other pastures and leave behind the two privates in Texas, as well as those public schools that provide no markets or academics to gain a spot in a Power League. I think the Tech's and OSU's of the world will be ok, as well as WVU, but KSU and ISU are in deep trouble if TV continues to dictate who these leagues will add.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, kj86 said:

No thank you very much to FCS 2.0.

Already in it. G5 is just Div 1-AA, FCS, whatever. Only difference is the money we spend and our level of denial.

That's not to say I'm advocating a G5 playoff. I just don't think it matters much what you do outside of the top 25-50 teams.

Edited by Monkeypox
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/5/2019 at 9:21 AM, untjim1995 said:

And the Power Leagues are much closer to dropping folks than they are to adding--see 2025 when the Big XII's GOR expires and programs like Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas move on to other pastures and leave behind the two privates in Texas, as well as those public schools that provide no markets or academics to gain a spot in a Power League. I think the Tech's and OSU's of the world will be ok, as well as WVU, but KSU and ISU are in deep trouble if TV continues to dictate who these leagues will add.

C-USA XL is closer than we think.  This is going to happen and it's going to happen soon.  I'll be shocked if there aren't actions earlier than 2025 to force the hand and break up the Big 12.

The PAC-12 eating itself once again last night and being left out of the playoffs makes a whole region of the country mad about the current bias to teams east of the Mississippi and the CFB Playoff structure in general.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:32 PM, greenminer said:

Yeah, the dude didn’t strike me as a G5 fan.

Fan?  If he has a show talking sports I expect him to be more knowledgeable than your average fan, which he is not.  He is corporate which is the biggest issue with College Football today. It is treated like a professional sport except when it comes to fair play and the “amateurism” of the players.  Eventually a reckoning is coming and either the elite programs will essentially kill interest in the sport to the few who are fans of those programs or a more democratic structure will be put in place.  

The perfect solution has always been available but greed prevents it:  4 Team playoff after more traditional regional bowl games.   Highest ranked G5 program gets a shot at number 1 in that P5 program’s traditional bowl.   For example this year G5 top ranked would go to Rose vs Ohio State or Sugar Bowl vs LSU.  This setup doesn’t diminish the regular season or Championship weekend in anyway.   And all the top 10 teams are invested in winning their bowl game and watching others in hopes they might get in the playoff.