GREEN BRIGADE (II)

SilverEagle

12 hours ago, THOR said:

that seems like an excuse...so when an opposing band comes to the ap, they can't play their song because of the north texas/usa pregame stuff?  is he limited due to the clock or the admin saying they can't play the visiting teams song?

We don’t need to be playing anyone else’s fight song. I won’t even sweat it if we don’t play their Alma Mater. But if that team brought their band, they should get a chance to play their Alma Mater before the game. 

I feel pretty confident in saying that what happens is "Fessor Cook" tells the clock/event manager how much time he needs for pregame......and that's it.  In the current atmosphere (the game being micro-managed by a time keeper) If someone brings their band, I think it's up to them to lobby the time manager for time to play their alma mater during pregame. 

However, the sportsmanship/civil thing to do would be for the time manager to contact the visiting band director and ask how much time they need to play their alma mater. 

Since everyone seems to have forgotten the rules of sportsmanship/civility and good manners,  I'll remind everyone that traditionally the visiting band always played their alma mater first. And that includes if the Green Brigade wanted to do the honors for our visitors.

But heaven forbid that we go against the current trend of tribalism in America and extend a musical handshake to our visitors at the beginning of the game. 

Geez Louise..........🙄

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I feel pretty confident in saying that what happens is "Fessor Cook" tells the clock/event manager how much time he needs for pregame......and that's it.  In the current atmosphere (the game being micro-managed by a time keeper) If someone brings their band, I think it's up to them to lobby the time manager for time to play their alma mater during pregame. 

However, the sportsmanship/civil thing to do would be for the time manager to contact the visiting band director and ask how much time they need to play their alma mater. 

Since everyone seems to have forgotten the rules of sportsmanship/civility and good manners,  I'll remind everyone that traditionally the visiting band always played their alma mater first. And that includes if the Green Brigade wanted to do the honors for our visitors.

But heaven forbid that we go against the current trend of tribalism in America and extend a musical handshake to our visitors at the beginning of the game. 

Geez Louise..........🙄

I think it would be cool if we played the other teams Alma Mater. But like I said I am not going to get worked up if we don’t. But if the other team spends the money to bring their band, they absolutely need to be allowed to play it. Of the games we took our band to this year, only rice allowed us to play. We didn’t allow either of the visiting bands to play theirs at Apogee. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I think it would be cool if we played the other teams Alma Mater. But like I said I am not going to get worked up if we don’t. But if the other team spends the money to bring their band, they absolutely need to be allowed to play it. Of the games we took our band to this year, only rice allowed us to play. We didn’t allow either of the visiting bands to play theirs at Apogee. 

that's shitty

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, THOR said:

that's shitty

I wonder how do you stop a band from playing whatever they want?

My guess is that band directors are smart enough to know that few care about a visiting school's Alma Mater.  Nearly all of them are bad music and they don't have their own announcers at another team's stadium.     

As far as the NT band playing another school's song, I see a lot of  problems with that.   There are legal issues involved with playing copyrighted material, how would NT even get the charts, and why would the band spend the time to learn a song that they would rarely ever play again.  

Good sportsmanship maybe, but bad entertainment. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I wonder how do you stop a band from playing whatever they want?

My guess is that band directors are smart enough to know that few care about a visiting school's Alma Mater.  Nearly all of them are bad music and they don't have their own announcers at another team's stadium.     

As far as the NT band playing another school's song, I see a lot of  problems with that.   There are legal issues involved with playing copyrighted material, how would NT even get the charts, and why would the band spend the time to learn a song that they would rarely ever play again.  

Good sportsmanship maybe, but bad entertainment. 

I never thought I’d get involved in a green brigade debate on here, but so be it. Addressing paragraph by paragraph.

#1. It’s about giving the visiting band time to play their Alma Mater for their fans pregame. I think if a team spends the money bringing their band they deserve 90 seconds to play pregame. Sure, I guess they could randomly play it whenever, but that’s not really the same.

#2. Maybe. And that’s a fair point.  But not every visiting team brings their band so it would not be an every week thing. Saying that “nearly all of them are bad music” is silly and pompous. The idea that the visiting band needs their own announcer to play their Alma Mater is also silly. The Rice PA simply directed the stadiums attention to the Green Brigade to play.

#3. While I think it would be cool for NT to play the alma Mater for the visiting fans (ideally as a show of sportsmanship before we heisman pose our way to a 40 point victory) I’m less devoted to that idea.  But the reality is almost all of the green brigade could probably sight read it, and practice it one or two times during the week and be fine. Legal issues? Did Lamar sue us for playing their Alma Mater a couple years ago? Pretty sure they didn’t.  As far as getting the music charts, I think modern technology provides a few options.

#4. Just a difference of opinion.

• Upvote 2

On 12/10/2019 at 12:36 AM, NTSU52 said:

Found It!

Thanks!

This shows the beginning including the historical North Texas fanfare. It cuts off before they do their tribute to America and the map of the US with the exaggerated outline of Texas. And then the outline of the Curfew/Spirit bell while playing "Glory to the Green and white".

Surely there is a better and/or more lively tune to play to get the band to the center of the field besides the "American Emblem March". Perhaps the Spanish style march that was written by a grad student toward the end of the M.M era. I heard it performed at a game in Texas stadium. It has never been played since and since it was written by a North Texas student, surely it could be incorporated into the entrance routine........it would be much better than "American Emblem". 

Also, entering the field was better than last year, but it still needs some work.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

I never thought I’d get involved in a green brigade debate on here, but so be it. Addressing paragraph by paragraph.

#1. It’s about giving the visiting band time to play their Alma Mater for their fans pregame. I think if a team spends the money bringing their band they deserve 90 seconds to play pregame. Sure, I guess they could randomly play it whenever, but that’s not really the same.

#2. Maybe. And that’s a fair point.  But not every visiting team brings their band so it would not be an every week thing. Saying that “nearly all of them are bad music” is silly and pompous. The idea that the visiting band needs their own announcer to play their Alma Mater is also silly. The Rice PA simply directed the stadiums attention to the Green Brigade to play.

#3. While I think it would be cool for NT to play the alma Mater for the visiting fans (ideally as a show of sportsmanship before we heisman pose our way to a 40 point victory) I’m less devoted to that idea.  But the reality is almost all of the green brigade could probably sight read it, and practice it one or two times during the week and be fine. Legal issues? Did Lamar sue us for playing their Alma Mater a couple years ago? Pretty sure they didn’t.  As far as getting the music charts, I think modern technology provides a few options.

#4. Just a difference of opinion.

why not debate football bands

reply to your reply about my reply

1.  Never said that the home team should not give visiting band time to play their alma mater.  It should be mandated in the scheduling contract. 

2.  Silly and pompous to say most are bad music, probably should have said that most are music that no one but alumni want to hear.  I hope you continue to enjoy your collection of the best of college Alma Maters.  

3.  The Lamar infringement lawsuit is still pending.  Yes, the band could manage to learn and play a passable rendition of the visitor's school song, question is why.

4.  Most recent opinion poll state that only 23% of fans want to hear the Visitor's Alma Mater and that includes almost unanimous no votes from the opponents band. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Eye Roll 1