PFF All Conference

97and03

How bad were we this year? 
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-pff-all-conference-usa-team

Only Darden makes first team on offense. 
Lawerence, Pirtle, and Fine make third team. And that is it. Not one OL graded high enough to be in the top four in the conference.

On defense Novil is a first team selection and receives high praises. Hamilton gets third team and Khari an honorable mention. That’s it. 

#sad 

23 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

How bad were we this year? 
https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-pff-all-conference-usa-team

Only Darden makes first team on offense. 
Lawerence, Pirtle, and Fine make third team. And that is it. Not one OL graded high enough to be in the top four in the conference.

On defense Novil is a first team selection and receives high praises. Hamilton gets third team and Khari an honorable mention. That’s it. 

#sad 

Surprised we even had that many tbh. No shock about the OL though. They had a big part in ruining Mason's senior year

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So we had a dominate nose and a strong DE? Our linebacker play was terrible! We have to get bigger at that position. Congrats to the players on the recognition!

I wouldn't say terrible,  one constant was bad angles though. We couldn't play man coverage well, those blitz packages we were able to use last season went out the playbook and we forced very little turnovers when that was our calling card in 2017 and 2018. I also think we were as weak as we have ever been at the OLB and nickel spot. Losing two corners really good corners and replacing them with first year starters hurt as well. We simply did not have the personnel to run the 3-3-5.

A new DC is unlikely to run the 3-3-5 again, we will likely see 4 down lineman next season. I wonder what this means for our fast, but undersized linebackers who started this season. And if we are running a 4-3, who the hell plays interior DL alongside Novil next year? 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Just now, ntmeangreen11 said:

I wouldn't say terrible,  one constant was bad angles though. We couldn't play man coverage well, those blitz packages we were able to use last season went out the playbook and we forced very little turnovers when that was our calling card in 2017 and 2018. I also think we were as weak as we have ever been at the OLB and nickel spot. Losing two corners really good corners and replacing them with first year starters hurt as well. We simply did not have the personnel to run the 3-3-5.

A new DC is unlikely to run the 3-3-5 again, we will likely see 4 down lineman next season. I wonder what this means for our fast, but undersized linebackers who started this season. And if we are running a 4-3, who the hell plays interior DL alongside Novil next year? 

Angles and gaps was poor, but once filled we were only able to bring down from the backside after 4-5 yards. I hope we stay with the 3 down, because of the recruitment challenge on DT. We have some young long LB, we need a few to be in the 235 range. 

12 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

LeBlanc.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

LeBlanc.

And who backs them up? It already sucks Novil had to bulk up and move inside and if he is not playing 3-Tech because he is the only one capable of playing 1-Tech that really sucks we have to put our best DL player there. We have to sign 2 or 3 quality JUCO DL players who can play day one, that seems like an impossible task.

• Upvote 2

Just now, ntmeangreen11 said:

And who backs them up? It already sucks Novil had to bulk up and move inside and if he is not playing 3-Tech because he is the only one capable of playing 1-Tech that really sucks we have to put our best DL player there. We have to sign 2 or 3 quality JUCO DL players who can play day one, that seems like an impossible task.

You’re absolutely right.  That’s where the losses of our past 2 seasons’ big DTackle recruits has hurt us badly.

57 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So we had a dominate nose and a strong DE? Our linebacker play was terrible! We have to get bigger at that position. Congrats to the players on the recognition!

Yep and I wonder if it is related more to the loss of Ejiya or more to the hiring of Galen Scott.

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Yep and I wonder if it is related more to the loss of Ejiya or more to the hiring of Galen Scott.

Come on we had two first year starters at the position- one of which was a freshman. And a Freshman backed him up. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Texas Stranger said:

I'd think he'd be the obvious leader for the 3T position.  I'm wondering if it would make much of a difference if the new guy runs a 4-3 under or over.

Honestly, the more I think about Orlando, the more I think his scheme would be VERY successful here. 

He runs a true 3-4, but his base keeps a Quarters coverage by the DBs, necessitating quick, athletic LBs for underneath stuff... which is what we have.  Our LB's are young, but they're all super-athletic, sideline-to-sideline type players, not just downhill 'thumper' guys like Fulp was.

Our secondary basically played Quarters this year anyway (Harvey & Johnson routinely 8yds+ off the LOS), but the Nickel was often times not in a position to make many plays for us, especially in the run game.  I think bringing an extra LB closer to the LOS would help.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly, the more I think about Orlando, the more I think his scheme would be VERY successful here. 

He runs a true 3-4, but his base keeps a Quarters coverage by the DBs, necessitating quick, athletic LBs for underneath stuff... which is what we have.  Our LB's are young, but they're all super-athletic, sideline-to-sideline type players, not just downhill 'thumper' guys like Fulp was.

Our secondary basically played Quarters this year anyway (Harvey & Johnson routinely 8yds+ off the LOS), but the Nickel was often times not in a position to make many plays for us, especially in the run game.  I think bringing an extra LB closer to the LOS would help.

A lot of that was due to motion running the nickel away from the point of attack.  Very predictable.  With more rush, we can afford more press cover from the corners.  Can't blitz a CB from quarters either.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

A lot of that was due to motion running the nickel away from the point of attack.  Very predictable.  With more rush, we can afford more press cover from the corners.  Can't blitz a CB from quarters either.

Right, but bringing an additional LB down is easier to blitz (& disguise blitz) with 4 of them.  More ground to cover for the nickle if he were to blitz in the 3-3-5