UAB’s Starting Five O linemen’s Offer Lists.

FirefightnRick

C Lee Dufour:  UAB

RT Sidney Wells: JUCO UAB

RG Patrick Nuss: UAB, wKy, AFA, Army, Austin Peay

LT Colby Ragland: JUCO UAB, SMU, S.Miss, Abilene Christian, Central Ark

LG David Galton: JUCO UAB, Georgia St, Nw State Louisiana

So yet another loss to a conference mate who was able to beat us with lowly recruited players up front.

Rick

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 8

Just now, southsideguy said:

They weren't stellar, our three man front was chasing their qb.   I am surprised they are In the championship and I was not overly impressed by them.  We played a lot better teams in the conference.

Right.  That was not a very good team we lost to Saturday.  But something was the difference?  If it wasn’t talent then it must be?????

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

30 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

You have to look at the full list to see all the teams. 247 only shows 5 on their initial recruiting page

Nuss had 9 FBS offers (UAB, WKU, Air Force, Army, Georgia State, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, Troy, and UTSA)

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Patrick-Nuss-99455/RecruitInterests/

Ragland has 7 FBS offers from a pretty impressive group (UAB, SMU, Southern Miss, FAU, Kansas, Louisiana Lafayette, and Troy)

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Colby-Ragland-113807/RecruitInterests/

So more highly recruited than you’re making them out to be. Nuss and Ragland were more highly recruited than any offensive lineman we have on scholarship. But also not the gold standard in the conference. 

UAB was 10th in the conference in scoring offense and 1st in scoring defense. What separated them from the competition this year was their defense. 

We won the Division in 2017 with an average at best offensive line. Doesn’t mean we can’t benefit from better recruiting at that position.

No, I’m not. As an O line they were not a HIGHLY recruited group, and the three JUCO’s we could have brought in just as easily because we have just as much if not more to offer, but we seem to blow it when it comes to evaluating JUCOS.  UAB does not.

Rick

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

No, I’m not. As an O line they were not a HIGHLY recruited group, and the three JUCO’s we could have brought in just as easily because we have just as much if not more to offer, but we seem to blow it when it comes to evaluating JUCOS.  UAB does not.

Rick

The two I was referring to were more highly recruited than you stated. That’s fact. But again, UAB’s o line or offense in general isn’t the gold standard. They were a below average offense. 

We already fired our OC and DC. Obviously our coaching staff wasn’t good this year. We didn’t recruit well early on in the Littrell era, so our talent couldn’t overcome a bad coaching staff and our coaching staff wasn’t good enough to overcome poor recruiting with regards to the upperclassmen. When you’re 4-8 in year four of a coaching regime, it usually is both, which it was.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The two I was referring to were more highly recruited than you stated.. 

But not by much.  I can only give what I find listed.

The fact that Troy, ULL ULM, Mercer etc were also there plus Kansas doesn’t make the point that we are 4-8 due to poor recruiting by us and better recruiting by them..  The other three, like the O lines at Rice and La Tech are similar in talent.  They are just coached better.  That’s fact.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

But not by much.  I can only give what I find listed.

The other ones were listed. You just missed them.

The fact that  Troy, ULL and ULM, Mercer etc were also there plus Kansas doesn’t make the point that we are 4-8 due to poor recruiting.  The other three, like the O lines at Rice and La Tech are similar in talent.  They are just coached better.  That’s fact.

Rick

What I don’t get is your insistence on making this an either/or situation. Yes, they were better coached. You’re arguing against me like I’m saying the coaching was championship level but our talent was hopeless. I have never said anything to that effect and I don’t think anyone on here has been. You’re allowed to think both were insufficient. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, BillySee58 said:

The other ones were listed. You just missed them.

What I don’t get is your insistence on making this an either/or situation. Yes, they were better coached. You’re arguing against me like I’m saying the coaching was championship level but our talent was hopeless. I have never said anything to that effect and I don’t think anyone on here has been. You’re allowed to think both were insufficient. 

I clicked on and listed everything I saw with the sign in on 247 I have access to.   Thank goodness I’ve got you here to add Kansas, Mercer and the Belt schools.  

And I’m not making it an either/or issue,...just simply pointing out that the FBS offer lists at our level is not why we keep getting beat. 

Seems pretty clear to me?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Right.  That was not a very good team we lost to Saturday.  But something was the difference?  If it wasn’t talent then it must be?????

Rick

They had better D lineman, and we had poor O lineman. I mean Mason was running on most of the plays because Marino and the other guy were just bigger and better. Not to mention putting the 2nd String at LG and Woody at LT

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I clicked on and listed everything I saw with the sign in on 247 I have access to.   Thank goodness I’ve got you here to add Kansas, Mercer and the Belt schools.  

And I’m not making it an either/or issue,...just simply pointing out that the FBS offer lists at our level is not why we keep getting beat. 

Rick

I see what I missed now,...for Nuss,..after clicking on recruiting profile it gives a list of 5 then another link to more below that....”View Complete team list”.

C0E8B6B8-5ECF-473A-AD89-C95A36BEBDF9.png.da21a38a033347cd5fd9b729c274ecf2.png

Most OL players I’ve been looking at Rice, La Tech don’t have that link.  Evidently Nuss was highly sought after by FCS schools and the Belt.

402190F8-68B3-47CA-A53C-18C900D099EA.png.d2e51aa0c1aa763ea306c6996ce74807.png

A5E4D59D-CC86-43E2-98B6-5429D385BFCD.png.bb46b155fe1019e2b7c71cad1391b299.png

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Everyone has access to the complete offer lists including you. You just didn’t click view complete team list. 

Rick

I think we need better players. I don’t care what their offer lists look like if they’re good. But statistically you have a better chance the better the offer lists are throughout your class. And I think we have been, they were just either too young or in high school this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Everyone has access to the complete offer lists including you. You just didn’t click view complete team list. 

I think we need better players. I don’t care what their offer lists look like if they’re good. But statistically you have a better chance the better the offer lists are throughout your class. And I think we have been, they were just either too young or in high school this year.

Yeah I stated I missed the rest of the list link above.

I’m sure a better offer list helps but it doesn’t overcome the developement by their coaches.  

At some point the O line staff here has to develope a young player for the future.

Rick

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

Checks notes....their offense scored 20 whole points. 

When you have the 5th best defense in the nation you don’t need much.  

Bill Clark understands that a top defense combined with a solid ground game offense built on the backs of well coached up linemen,...three of which only had 3 FBS offers combined among them is the key to a second straight run at the championship.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Agreed. Combine that with the fact that their non-conference schedule was as cupcake as possibly put together and they didn't really kill anyone they faced, I am shocked. I was convinced La Tech would be in the Championship game. This Conference Championship game, in general, also seemed to come out of nowhere. I was convinced the East would either be Marshall or FIU.  FIU had a carbon-copy season as us over in the East. Pre-season expectations to play in the Conference Championship game only end up middle to bottom of the standings. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

When you have the 5th best defense in the nation you don’t need much.  

Bill Clark understands that a top defense combined with a solid ground game offense built on the backs of well coached up linemen,...three of which only had 3 FBS offers combined among them is the key to a second straight run at the championship.

Rick

Dead-on...

I really wonder if SL and his staff can evaluate OL. Right now, it looks like its his Achilles heal--even in the past couple of years, Mason Fine was being chased around very often as soon as he got the snap, taking some serious hits along the way that also contributed to his senior year performance being worse than in previous years. 

Look, McCarney had the right idea with linemen on both sides of the ball and running the ball, but he couldn't identify a QB if he tried, which based on recruiting under his tenure would suggest he wasn't trying hard at all. But, as it usually goes here, we go on the far sides of the pendulum between run-oriented and pass-oriented. Dickey and DMac focused solely on ball control and not taking chances down field unless you had to or were playing an inferior opponent. Dodge and SL air the ball out, but get their QBs crushed because their OLs never develop into much under their systems. And defensive focus was/is pretty much nil for both.

Just once, it would be refreshing to get a coach who actually focused on both offensive schemes, while also giving defense its due attention. An offense that can run BOTH spread and under the center in short yardage. An offense that looks at the opponent and realizes that maybe running the ball this week will work better than airing it out on most downs. But that won't happen if you have shit on the OL, which is basically what we have had here. I'm not going to hold my breath, either, on that changing next season, even with a new QB. I suspect he will look like Danny Meager and Gio Vizza did in the first part of the Dodgeball years--getting crushed out there while learning on the job how to be a throwing QB in the spread offense.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Mason Fine was being chased around very often as soon as he got the snap,...

That is if he actually got a good enough snap so he could keep his eyes up long enough to see the rush coming?

I never understood how we go all season without getting the bad snaps issue corrected?

Rick

• Thanks 1