UTA post game thoughts

Harry

Good analysis from a friend:

- Five guys have started all our games. Gibson, Geu, Hamlett, ZSimmons and Reese.

- Four guys did not play last night and YTD are at the bottom of minutes played, Mohammed, JSimmons, Wise and Jackson.

- Hamlett is shooting 85% from FT line, Gibson 82%. Team average is 68%. Hamlett hit 5 of 6 in the last few minutes last night to seal the win. Over the years we haven't seen that happen often from a UNT team.

- Our defense last night was outstanding in that we completely controlled the paint. UTA gained some ground in the 2nd half by hitting from the outside.

- After the game was over and UTA players had left the court, the team came up into the stands to shake hands and thank the fans for coming. Good PR.

UTA is now 4-5 but they have played some good games, notable staying within 6 of Gonzaga at Gonzaga. I would call last nights game a good win over a team that was favored by 7 and would be competitive in CUSA. If nothing else, we continued to show progress.

Yes, the walk into the stands for fist bumps, high fives and hand slaps was way cool.  Usually they connect with the fans on the front row but they came up deep into the stands to say thank you to the fans.  It was a really nice surprise on a heavy day in Denton with the firing of our coaches in that other sport. Nice to see Wren there and he was thanking fans and saying hello to everyone in his gleeful way.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, drex said:

I agree, Harry.  I cannot wrap my head around how we lost to a very average Arkansas team, however.

We were ice cold shooting at 33% and only 11% from 3. Gibson; who had the most minutes, finished with 7 points after chucking up 16 shots, from the field and 3's. Shots just wouldn't fall. 

• Upvote 4

Yeah it was really cool to see them come all the way up into the stands. Glad I made the trip, and glad we got the win.

Warren for UTA is a great player. I remembered him from last year, but he's grown into a phenomenal player. 

On the other hand, I was shocked by how good we were shooting in that 1st half. Hope we can carry that over to OU! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2