A new staff position proposition?

Harry

I was flipping through the MANY MANY portal announcements earlier today, and it dawned on me we should create a FULL TIME admin / coaching role that monitors and is accountable for maximizing the transfers, including P5 and JUCO etc.   This is a FULL TIME job to keep up with all of this plus reach out and let the players know you care and have your shit together.

Given our location being such a fertile recruiting spot for this type of player, and the fact that it is so important for the success of a G5 program (see SMU, UH, UCF, UAB, USU etc), why not put some more focus on it.  Maybe they already are but in my view it is am important position.  You need to come up with a marketing strategy as to why UNT is such a good place to come home to.  Just a thought,  carry on.

Just now, Harry said:

I was flipping through the MANY MANY portal announcements earlier today, and it dawned on me we should create a FULL TIME admin / coaching role that monitors and is accountable for maximizing the transfers, including P5 and JUCO etc.   This is a FULL TIME job to keep up with all of this plus reach out and let the players know you care and have your shit together.

Given our location being such a fertile recruiting spot for this type of player, and the fact that it is so important for the success of a G5 program (see SMU, UH, UCF, UAB, USU etc), why not put some more focus on it.  Maybe they already are but in my view it is am important position.  You need to come up with a marketing strategy as to why UNT is such a good place to come home to.  Just a thought,  carry on.

100% agree

Great idea

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I am guessing that Seth has GA's compiling data and sharing with the staff

I don't doubt it but to me it is important enough - for our program and where we are located -  to be a full time paid position. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Agreed. After watching "Miles to Go," it is amazing the resources some of these schools have dedicated specifically to recruiting. We're talking teams full of people analyzing tape, reaching out to recruits, and maintaining constant communication with them to show your interest. Literally the first thing Les Miles did on the job was build the recruiting department from one person to an entire team of full time and intern positions. It is the life blood of any successful football program so why not dedicate more resources for it? I am fully on board with this. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 1

What exactly does Shelby McIntyre do as Coordinator, Football Recruiting Operations?  What does the job description look like?

If we are not involved in the "transfer portal" game then we are falling behind.  I want to know how these other programs got involved so successfully in one year?  Looking at you, smut.

• Thanks 1

To @Harry original point about new modern staff positions...

Everyone knows of the absolute legion within Alabama who are “non-coaching staff” members that are all moneyball and recruiting... what do our peers have going for them in this way?

How many “non-coaching staff” are in Highland Park?

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

What exactly does Shelby McIntyre do as Coordinator, Football Recruiting Operations?  What does the job description look like?

If we are not involved in the "transfer portal" game then we are falling behind.  I want to know how these other programs got involved so successfully in one year?  Looking at you, smut.

I think it’s coordinating visits, logistics, etc.  Not recruiting, but fostering the relationships with recruits through coordinating their experiences as a recruit.  This concept could possibly fall into her scope but I don’t think the talent evaluation element is part of that.  But organizing the data? Seems within scope.  In limited witnessing, she seems to be doing a pretty solid job in what I assume to be her duties. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, tmjerm said:

I think it’s coordinating visits, logistics, etc.  Not recruiting, but fostering the relationships with recruits through coordinating their experiences as a recruit.  This concept could possibly fall into her scope but I don’t think the talent evaluation element is part of that.  But organizing the data? Seems within scope.  In limited witnessing, she seems to be doing a pretty solid job in what I assume to be her duties. 

This would definitely fall under a logistical/organizational framework like that.  This isn’t something that needs a new position. The portal exists. The recruiting sites are tracking. Just sort them and email to position coaches. 
She could also do quick internet searches (or task to GA or student assistants) for red flags. 

• Upvote 1