Potential UNT DC Candidates

TheReal_jayD

I'm not reading through all this back and forth.  Here's my 0.02:

Seth is an offensive minded guy who, based on this recent move, is not ignoring the defensive woes.

Having been here since the Dicky era, I honestly can't look at those winning/championship seasons and say it happened JUST because of a defensive minded coach.  There's just too many pieces and dynamics that range from staff, to development, to jimmies-and-joes, to ex-and-os.  We definitely won with good and/or opportunistic defenses, but it wasn't stricly because of a defense-at-all-cost coach.

I can't think of a coach that has shifted their entire philosophy or playbook from one side of the ball to another, while in their late 30s or 40s.  Does an example exist?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Rather be in a bowl game and lose than not be in one! Winning record matters, just ask the teams that don’t have one! Trajectory may be the most important aspect of our team. With the IPF , recruiting classes, and the funds to replace AC and DC there should be no excuses for a loosing season! Gmg

(AC DC) Alternating Current/ Direct Current electricity or the band? I'm confused.  Can You Like Bad Animation?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I can’t believe anyone is romanticizing the McCarnery era. The bowl win was great but it was one winning season in five! 

Exaggerating just a bit there.  No one is romanticizing anything.  

I’m simply pointing out Mac and DD’s approach of a defense-first, conservative philosophy is what it took to get it done against the teams they had to beat, and we probably won’t get back to a championship of any kind until we adopt something similar.

4 Conference Championships

5 Bowl appearances

2 Bowl wins.

It’s a fact you cannot ignore.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I’m simply pointing out Mac and DD’s approach of a defense-first, conservative philosophy is what it took to get it done against the teams they had to beat, and we probably won’t get back to a championship of any kind until we adopt something similar.

5 Bowl appearances

2 Bowl wins.

Rick

I know this is almost as unpopular as saying something negative about Mason 😱

But to be honest we were a "good" team but played what at the time was the worst conference (In fact we were rated below several 1-AA conferences)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

5 Bowl appearances

2 Bowl wins.

Rick

Rick I’m with you on defensive first philosophy......

the conservative philosophy though. 😬 those were some painful offenses to watch and they did cost us games at times. 

I want both. Aggressive creative offense and a swarming, mean defense. 

I look at LSU and Bama and others that are traditional defense first teams but they opened up their offenses. It can work. There’s no reason Littrell’s offense can’t mesh well with a good defense. He runs the air raid but it’s not the Leach air raid, he’s not going to throw the ball 50 times a game but it’s also not 3 yards and a cloud of dust  

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Rick I’m with you on defensive first philosophy......

the conservative philosophy though. 😬 those were some painful offenses to watch and they did cost us games at times. 

I want both. Aggressive creative offense and a swarming, mean defense. 

I look at LSU and Bama and others that are traditional defense first teams but they opened up their offenses. It can work. There’s no reason Littrell’s offense can’t mesh well with a good defense. He runs the air raid but it’s not the Leach air raid, he’s not going to throw the ball 50 times a game but it’s also not 3 yards and a cloud of dust  

This. Be both. 

• Eye Roll 1

On 12/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

But to be honest we were a "good" team but played what at the time was the worst conference....

Agree.  And in spite of having some of if not the worst facilities around here the defense-first philosophy still dominated that conference, handed Boise their only conference home loss for 12 seasons till TCU beat them in 2011 then repeated that win over a 10-3 Boise team in Denton the next year, beat Texas Tech twice, routed Baylor, played TCU to the wire twice and had a couple of respectable showings against OU and Texas.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

You just said it in your post. The one bowl win was great. 

Defense wins championships and bowls.

Good lord this is so North Texas small time thinking. This is “we beat Tennessee in 1975” thinking. Coaches with losing records are not the standard. I can forgive Dickey to a point bc of the murderous OOC schedule he faced. But McCarney? Nah. 
God I loved the 2013 season. I was going through a divorce and it was about the only positive thing going in my life at that time - other than a very loyal Malinois Shepherd. But I am not going to put that man on a pedestal because he won a bowl game. Half of college football goes to a bowl and half of those win. This shouldn’t be the standard. LaTech has gone to a bowl six years in a row if I recall. And I think won them all. 
With this attitude we are like the fat girl at the prom: just happy to be here! 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, RiseUNT said:

You just said it in your post. The one bowl win was great. 

Defense wins championships and bowls.

We are not talking about single seasons. We are talking about coaching philosophies. That defensive philosophy sat out asses at home for 4 years.

again, winning can't be simplified into just philosophy. There’s too many variables. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Good lord this is so North Texas small time thinking. This is “we beat Tennessee in 1975” thinking. Coaches with losing records are not the standard. I can forgive Dickey to a point bc of the murderous OOC schedule he faced. But McCarney? Nah. 
God I loved the 2013 season. I was going through a divorce and it was about the only positive thing going in my life at that time - other than a very loyal Malinois Shepherd. But I am not going to put that man on a pedestal because he won a bowl game. Half of college football goes to a bowl and half of those win. This shouldn’t be the standard. LaTech has gone to a bowl six years in a row if I recall. And I think won them all. 

Not to mention the two teams we admittedly got killed by in the Littrell coached bowls (Troy and Utah St) we’re FAR superior teams to the UNLV team Mac beat in the HOD Bowl in front of a de facto - maybe best ever turnout of UNT fans- home crowd.  Sometimes the team and location you draw in a bowl matchup is advantageous, sometimes not.

Agree with your general premise that winning a bowl is NOT the standard for success. It’s the following:

1. Win Conference Championship

2. Crack the Top 25

3. Be one of the G5 teams in the New Years Day Bowl Conversation

4. Be the G5 participant in the New Years Day Bowl

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

And neither is anyone else.

🙄🙄🙄  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

First question for any DC applicant...

For defensive back's do you coach the players to:

1. Play > 10yds off the line, even on 3rd and 5.
  2. Treat the ball like the blinding sun, making sure you never look back at it
  3. Never use your arms/hands when encountering an opposing player
  4. Disregard #3 when the ball is in the air (but still allow opponent to catch the pass)
  5. none of the above

Any answer except #5 is a disqualification.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

4. Disregard #3 when the ball is in the air (but still allow opponent to catch the pass)
  5. none of the above

I would ask, do you know how to develop players and if you run a 3-3-5, do you know how to execute it

49 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

5. none of the above

Haha. Yuuuuup.

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Well that's incorrect. We are the skinny girl who was fat and spent millions of dollars to look thin and beautiful just to NOT go to prom.

That's the second time you have said how great that bowl win was. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Well that's incorrect. We are the skinny girl who was fat and spent millions of dollars to look thin and beautiful just to NOT go to prom.

Ok, I'm wondering what all that has to do with who is the next DC.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

It was great. I watched it in a beachside bar in Ecuador and was cheering my hungover ass off! 

But I still don’t think one bowl win makes or defines a program. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Ok, I'm wondering what all that has to do with who is the next DC.

Nothing. Just that the off-season is here way to early and some of us think that defense needs more of the head coach's attention. 

It started by me stating that the one win that means anything in the past 15 years was because of defense.

• Upvote 2