Potential UNT DC Candidates

TheReal_jayD

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Winning record. That doesn't matter. That's hog wash. If you have 7-5 and lose your bowl game to finish 7-6 with no conference championship, bowl trophy and clearly nowhere near the top 25 what good is it really? None. The answer is none. 

7-6 > 1-11

None of Seth Littrell's doings. He should be at 2 of 4 given there has been 2 winning seasons. He was gift wrapped the HOD in 2016. He's a .500 coach with 2 losing seasons and 2 winning seasons. As it sits, and the evidence we CURRENTLY have, next season will be another losing season and this fan base will fully turn on SL as they should. 

so throw out the HOD that's fine. He still has took us to bowl games in 2 out of 4 years... something our program has done what 10 times in 100 years???

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

They had one winning season...

While that is true, they also accomplished Seth’s mission before he ever laid it out. I’ve never heard him say “our goal is to win more games than we lose”, I have heard him say for 3-4 years now “win our bowl game” and yet he has been blown out in two of the three he has coached in. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Seth and hopes he stays long enough to retire from North Texas but he is never going to win a bowl game or conference title without a top-notch defense. It has to be a priority both in coaching and recruiting. My hope is that his choice for DC will remedy this but we won’t know until they come on board. 3 things HAVE to get better with the new DC. Quarterback pressures, turnovers, and tackling.

Edit: And aggressiveness, we need an attacking defense again where the opposing offensive players are afraid to catch or run the ball against us for fear of being lit up. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Cr1028 said:

While that is true, they also accomplished Seth’s mission before he ever laid it out. I’ve never heard him say “our goal is to win more games than we lose”, I have heard him say for 3-4 years now “win our bowl game” and yet he has been blown out in two of the three he has coached in. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Seth and hopes he stays long enough to retire from North Texas but he is never going to win a bowl game or conference title without a top-notch defense. It has to be a priority both in coaching and recruiting. My hope is that is choice for DC will remedy this but we won’t know until they come on board. 3 things HAVE to get better with the new DC. Quarterback pressures, turnovers, and tackling.

This. That's why I don't buy the "Seth will never care about defense" argument. He better start caring about it if this team is going to accomplish the goals he has set out. That starts with knocking it out of the park in hiring the new DC and continuing our upward trend of recruiting defensive players. Honestly tired of getting the absolute hell beaten out of us on defense from bowl games to pretty much every game last season.

• Upvote 2

Rather be in a bowl game and loose than not be in one! Winning record matters, just ask the teams that don’t have one! Trajectory may be the most important aspect of our team. With the IPF , recruiting classes, and the funds to replace AC and DC there should be no excuses for a loosing season! Gmg

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

You're defending mediocrity. My apologies...Don't let me get in the way. 

I think he's defending what Littrell has done here so far, and some people can only see through the lense of our own past... so he has to bring up 1-11.

1 down year is somewhat acceptable (it's a tough pill to swallow, though) when having 9 win seasons in between.  
Now, if next season is another 6-win or less season, then I'll start getting nervous.

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think he's defending what Littrell has done here so far, and some people can only see through the lense of our own past... so he has to bring up 1-11.

1 down year is somewhat acceptable (it's a tough pill to swallow, though) when having 9 win seasons in between.  
Now, if next season is another 6-win or less season, then I'll start getting nervous.

As it will be. The shine of SL, due to my opinion of next years outcome, has turned to rust. My interest has diminished significantly due to what I think the near future is in store for us. And I can only imagine the fence sitting fans aren't even paying attention anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes sir, but don't tell that to these guys

Image result for septic pumping gif"

• Eye Roll 2

As it will be. The shine of SL, due to my opinion of next years outcome, has turned to rust. My interest has diminished significantly due to what I think the near future is in store for us. And I can only imagine the fence sitting fans aren't even paying attention anymore. 

Well, most of us thought this season was going to be a continuation of the 9+win trend, and we finished in the toilet. 
I hope next season maybe surprises us going the other direction, and we win more than what we're expecting.  
I know Fine is gone, and that is going to hurt bad, but we all thought the same thing when the indispensable Jeff Wilson graduated after 2016, and look what happened the following year!
We'll see what changes/hires are made, what recruits sign on the dotted line, and if we get any transfers...  There is a lot of moving parts prior to starting Spring Practice and next season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.   Some of the size is the remnant of his redshirt Seniors from previous classes with clock stoppage.  He's losing the rest of those guys this year (like that Marino guy who gave our OL fits both times we played them).
With Spencer Brown gone next season, do you still anticipate a heavy dose of the run game on offense from them?

Maybe other programs see this too.....

He won't be playing his 30 year olds against G5s....maybe they want to see one more year...how he recruits?

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, All About UNT said:

That's exactly what it is. 

If I'm a P5....I have to be asking what has Bill Clark actually done? Besides beat up a really bad conference with players no one else was allowed to play with and not play anyone in OOC. He's not unlike Littrell in some regards. Both rebuilt programs from the scrap heap. Both have never beaten anyone of consequence. Both have ridden the hype train fueled on their records vs the worst conference in FBS and their program's history. Clark was just able to do it with different rules. I understand his program was gone for a few years but it's not like their players left. They got to hang onto them and then get other players that didn't have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Hell....shutting down their program was actually good for them. What kind of shape would they be in had they kept plodding along before the shutdown....they wouldn't have won the conference, they wouldn't be building a new stadium, etc unless what happened to them had happened. I'm not saying "hey go shut down your program and it will be good." But you can't argue that it hasn't been good for UAB where they sit in 2019. And there's not enough to show from Bill Clark at this point. He hasn't proven anything of substance to warrant a P5 job yet.

He's going to have to do it a few more years. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

If I'm a P5....I have to be asking what has Bill Clark actually done? Besides beat up a really bad conference with players no one else was allowed to play with and not play anyone in OOC. He's not unlike Littrell in some regards. Both rebuilt programs from the scrap heap. Both have never beaten anyone of consequence. Both have ridden the hype train fueled on their records vs the worst conference in FBS and their program's history. Clark was just able to do it with different rules. I understand his program was gone for a few years but it's not like their players left. They got to hang onto them and then get other players that didn't have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Hell....shutting down their program was actually good for them. What kind of shape would they be in had they kept plodding along before the shutdown....they wouldn't have won the conference, they wouldn't be building a new stadium, etc unless what happened to them had happened. I'm not saying "hey go shut down your program and it will be good." But you can't argue that it hasn't been good for UAB where they sit in 2019. And there's not enough to show from Bill Clark at this point. He hasn't proven anything of substance to warrant a P5 job yet.

He's going to have to do it a few more years. 

If I'm Memphis, I have my eye on him.   Memphis will probably lose Norvell this year, and they can money-whip Clark to leave a G5 HC job to take another G5 HC job.