COULD SETH TAKE OVER THE OC ROLE

El Paso Eagle

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I would like for him to hire a competent OC and let him run the offense

Somebody like......

“Under OC, the offense averaged 7.46 yards per play, which was second in the nation, and ran the ball for 6.0 yards a carry, which ranked third in the country. this school was one of just 11 schools in the nation that averaged more than 200 yards rushing (229.7) and 250 yards passing (266.0). They rushed for over 200 yards eight times and had over 500 yards of total offense in four games, including 704 yards in a 66-31 win over an 8-5  P5 school who beat a Big10 school in their bowl game.”

• Haha 1

Wait a minute.....due to circumstances I listened to more games than I saw this year but the ones I did see I never saw a sideline shot where it looked like SL was calling the plays. Every head coach on TV that I see that is calling the plays is obviously calling the plays. 

Shouldn't be a mystery. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, meanrob said:

Wait a minute.....due to circumstance I listened to more games than I saw this year but the ones I did see I never saw a sideline shot where it looked like SL was calling the plays. Every head coach on TV that I see that is calling the plays is obviously calling the plays. 

Shouldn't be a mystery. 

agreed...i never once saw a shot of Littrell on the sidelines, and wondered to myself if he was calling the plays.  maybe reeder wasn't calling the plays, but i am pretty sure Littrell wasn't either.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Somebody like......

“Under OC, the offense averaged 7.46 yards per play, which was second in the nation, and ran the ball for 6.0 yards a carry, which ranked third in the country. this school was one of just 11 schools in the nation that averaged more than 200 yards rushing (229.7) and 250 yards passing (266.0). They rushed for over 200 yards eight times and had over 500 yards of total offense in four games, including 704 yards in a 66-31 win over an 8-5  P5 school who beat a Big10 school in their bowl game.”

who is that

In all seriousness....if Littrell wants to run the offense fine. Maybe we need more of a QB coach as OC. Say what you want about GH but you can't deny what he did with Fine.  

If SL did or didn't call the plays...I don't know, just going on what people closer to the program say. If he did....and this year was the result, color me unimpressed.

But he has an offensive philosophy. And he has had success with it. One thing I LIKE about his offensive philosophy is he runs the ball. It's kind of a Leach hybrid in that he's not going to go out and throw it 50 times a game. I thought that Reeder's offense was more along the lines of what Littrell wanted.....spread it out but run (like the Briles offense...which I love)

But that offense needs tempo...which Reeder had at Eastern Washington.....but we didn't here for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe they didn't think we had the personnel? No idea.

So I understand what he did at UNC....and he had more talent but he also faced much stiffer defenses....

I sure would like for him to get some of that going here....

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

But that offense needs tempo...which Reeder had at Eastern Washington.....but we didn't here for some reason.

I think injuries played a role in this, especially injuries to both of our TEs this year.

Speaking of TEs, why do we even have a TE coach?  We have three freshmen and 1 rs freshman, but as far as I can tell we only used two (Smith and Pirtle) this year.

Graham Harrell is a fantastic quarterback coach, as is Todd Dodge. I imagine the current head coach at Southlake Carroll is a hell of a quarterback coach and wouldn’t be a terrible choice if we are looking for a qb coach and potential OC trainee. 

EDIT: To be clear, I was saying Riley would be worth a look as a QB coach and could learn how to be an OC like Harrell did at Washington State. I am by no means saying we should hire a high school guy as our OC. No way!

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I think injuries played a role in this, especially injuries to both of our TEs this year.

Speaking of TEs, why do we even have a TE coach?  We have three freshmen and 1 rs freshman, but as far as I can tell we only used two (Smith and Pirtle) this year.

Because under GH we didn't really utilize the position.  Littrell has never recruited them until this year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Given some recently-released info about Reeder not calling plays post Houston, I would not be surprised to see Littrell return to the Leach tree to find his next OC.   The offense is obviously his baby, and he has to have someone that thinks like him to run it.
Someone like this:
https://soonersports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/dennis-simmons/355

YUSSSSSSSSSSS

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Mason will be in the NFL next season.  He's going to be a little busy to be a coach.
However, I do think we may have a pretty good QB's coach on the staff already:
5bee6d8cbfdda.image.jpg?resize=400,266

YESSSSSSSSSSS

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 12/3/2019 at 3:38 AM, Cr1028 said:

Graham Harrell is a fantastic quarterback coach, as is Todd Dodge. I imagine the current head coach at Southlake Carroll is a hell of a quarterback coach and wouldn’t be a terrible choice if we are looking for a qb coach and potential OC trainee. 

EDIT: To be clear, I was saying Riley would be worth a look as a QB coach and could learn how to be an OC like Harrell did at Washington State. I am by no means saying we should hire a high school guy as our OC. No way!

This isn’t a bad idea at all really. 

btw

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

This isn’t a bad idea at all really. 

btw

I’m happy to see Riley doing well. He always gave max effort for us, his body just couldn’t take the punishment. He is an up and comer in the coaching ranks and will be snagged by a college program soon, that is if he wants to coach in college again. (Remember he was a QC coach at Texas helping out with quarterbacks and was a grad assistant at A&M working with Kingsbury)

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m happy to see Riley doing well. He always gave max effort for us, his body just couldn’t take the punishment. He is an up and comer in the coaching ranks and will be snagged by a college program soon, that is if he wants to coach in college again. (Remember he was a QC coach at Texas helping out with quarterbacks and was a grad assistant at A&M working with Kingsbury)

I agree, but I would give another recent North Texas QB a shot before him should his NFL aspirations not come together.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but I would give another recent North Texas QB a shot before him should his NFL aspirations not come together.

While Mason is great, his playing days are not over, whether it be NFL, XFL, CFL, or other. I also don’t recall anyone going straight from QB1 to QB coach at the college level without at least being a grad assistant first.

The thing that Riley gives us that Mason can’t is access to Texas recruits as a high school legend and someone who has connections either through himself or his father to just about every worthwhile high school coach in this state.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

So he actually has more overall coaching experience than GH when he arrived? 😄

Honestly just plan position coach might likely be a pay cut for him! 

50 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Do you really think Riley Dodge would coach for UNT at any level?  We fired his Dad for crying out loud!

Well seeing as both Riley and Todd Dodge have let their former high school players head on up to Denton, I think they understand it’s just a results based business.

As an aside, I truly belief given another year or two, Todd Dodge could’ve turned out to be a pretty good coach. The problem was he messed up so bad his first 2 years that he couldn’t dig out fast enough to save his job. I think we would’ve won a few games in 2010 if the injury bug hadn’t hit so hard but when Tune and Thompson went down (in addition to a host of others) we just couldn’t push the ball down the field as well. Riley could no longer throw the deep ball and Chase Baine was a walk-on receiver. You can look at the statistics and see that he started moving more toward a balanced attack rather than a pass heavy offense. He was learning and I’m sure DeLoach helped him see the importance of a good run game. So while some joke about Todd Dodge being considered by UTSA and being a disaster for them, I’m scared shitless that someone else will take a chance on him and he will use the lessons he learned from coaching us and beat on us. If he ever gets back into college coaching, I hope it is for someone not on our schedule.

Sorry, that one got away from me a little bit.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Well seeing as both Riley and Todd Dodge have let their former high school players head on up to Denton, I think they understand it’s just a results based business.

As an aside, I truly belief given another year or two, Todd Dodge could’ve turned out to be a pretty good coach. The problem was he messed up so bad his first 2 years that he couldn’t dig out fast enough to save his job. I think we would’ve won a few games in 2010 if the injury bug hadn’t hit so hard but when Tune and Thompson went down (in addition to a host of others) we just couldn’t push the ball down the field as well. Riley could no longer throw the deep ball and Chase Baine was a walk-on receiver. You can look at the statistics and see that he started moving more toward a balanced attack rather than a pass heavy offense. He was learning and I’m sure DeLoach helped him see the importance of a good run game. So while some joke about Todd Dodge being considered by UTSA and being a disaster for them, I’m scared shitless that someone else will take a chance on him and he will use the lessons he learned from coaching us and beat on us. If he ever gets back into college coaching, I hope it is for someone not on our schedule.

Sorry, that one got away from me a little bit.

I still believe that TD's biggest mistake was his loyalty to the damn coordinators he brought on board. I wish the AD, or President would have convinced him to start with experienced college coordinators.   With the excitement that Dodge was creating if he had been successful ...... 

• Upvote 2