Reeder and Reffett Fired

Cerebus

I absolutely LOVED watching Ek on the sidelines. His passion and enthusiasm for the game and his players was nothing short of infectious. 

HOWEVER, I think there’s a reason he’s coaching Special Teams now instead of defenses and it’s probably not very good. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Danish43 said:

Are you referring to all the other schools he has coached at? That he can never stay in one place.

He lived in a freaking motorhome and his family never joined him in Denton telling me he was never committed to us.  No thanks.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I’m all for getting the best guy possible and not selling ourselves short, but I think it’s a pipe dream to believe we could get Briles, Orlando, or Strong.  I just can’t imagine any of those guys would take a G5 coordinator position.  That being said, I’d love nothing more than to be wrong and announce Briles as OC and either of the other two as DC.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Strong

I think Strong would be a decent DC hire for a P5 but at this rate until he builds his resume back up he's not going to be a darling.  That being said his last few years have not been great. He might be desperate enough and be enticed by the prospect of literally having the run of the mill on the defensive side of the ball so to speak.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moobs said:

I absolutely LOVED watching Ek on the sidelines. His passion and enthusiasm for the game and his players was nothing short of infectious. 

HOWEVER, I think there’s a reason he’s coaching Special Teams now instead of defenses and it’s probably not very good. 🤷‍♂️

He is also the Inside LB coach.  The DC Les chose has a bit more pedigree and DC exp at P5 schools https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._J._Eliot

You guys are excited but what it must mean is we made some insanely bad hires. That is not good news. I have seen this kind of sacrificing before and it did not produce good results. Several years later a new coach takes several more years to clean it all up. NT has such an anchor hanging around it, it would take someone with tremendous positive recognition and energy to recruit at a high level. The only way is like some of you have said, broaden the fundraising significantly to raise enough money for it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

And Bodie's wife was tweeting "Go Mean Green" from Washington state... Maybe not everyone has the confidence/means to uproot their lives in Y1.

They live in my neighborhood in Argyle, maybe she was just visiting Washington, but they do live in Argyle.  I cannot confirm if they rent or own.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

What about Mark Mangino to run the offense? Not currently employed. Successful coach at a hard place to win but wouldn’t be the head guy here. Already has a good relationship with Seth and likely enough skins on the wall that Seth would trust him to run the offense and call plays.

He'd put a little bit of mean asshole in this coaching staff too. 

Not that it's always a good thing, but for team that talks about being disciplined, they sure don't play like they'll be punished for not being disciplined.

His offenses were typically effective

Makes me laugh at the fake rumor about him becoming the HC when we hired Seth.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

What about Mark Mangino to run the offense? Not currently employed. Successful coach at a hard place to win but wouldn’t be the head guy here. Already has a good relationship with Seth and likely enough skins on the wall that Seth would trust him to run the offense and call plays.

OL coach please!

11 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I like it. Dude gets a bad rap for his past anger issues but there is no doubt his teams are disciplined and successful. Hell, he had the most success for KU football in the last 20 years. Something else I brought up in another thread I think would be interesting is bringing Koontz back as the DC. Knows the players, knows the system and now has a year of SEC offenses and defenses under his belt. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

He'd put a little bit of mean asshole in this coaching staff too. 

Not that it's always a good thing, but for team that talks about being disciplined, they sure don't play like they'll be punished for not being disciplined.

His offenses were typically effective

Makes me laugh at the fake rumor about him becoming the HC when we hired Seth.

Agree with all that. I love the idea of bringing a slight edge to the coaching staff. Also, if we can get guys like him and or a Leavitt type on the defensive side of the ball, you’re bringing in proven program builders.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, NT93 said:

I’m all for getting the best guy possible and not selling ourselves short, but I think it’s a pipe dream to believe we could get Briles, Orlando, or Strong.  I just can’t imagine any of those guys would take a G5 coordinator position.  That being said, I’d love nothing more than to be wrong and announce Briles as OC and either of the other two as DC.

A few years ago Manny Diaz went to LaTech from UT. I would like to atleast one of the C with P5 experience. Maybe someone where the HC got let go, but their side of the ball had good stats.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Just remember when you analyze this to consider if the fired head coach was an offensive or defensive mind and also when analyzing the defense, what type of offense his team was running.

For example, Gary Deloach looked alot better on paper when he had a Darrell Dickey offense on the other side of the ball than he did with a Todd Dodge offense on the other side.

Good point and an even better example.

Rick

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

I'm a big fan of Mangino. Who can ever forget the '07 Jayhawks going 12-1 and winning the Orange Bowl. What I would give for UNT to have that kind of season. Bret Vito reported today that Mark was at the UAB game on Saturday night. I guess you could always say he was there to support Seth and his son, but I suspect there's more to the story.

• Upvote 3