Reeder and Reffett Fired

Cerebus

13 hours ago, Rudy said:

Reffet had to go.  I thought Reeder might get another year. The fact that he's out say that this group isn't playing games. 

When you lose the last three games scoring 21 or fewer in each, it is clear the offensive is not going in the right direction. That alone justifies changing OC.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rws69 said:

When you lose the last three games scoring 21 or fewer in each, it is clear the offensive is not going in the right direction. That alone justifies changing OC.

devil's advocate, but how can you blame Reeder, if he did not call games the last 7-8 games?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So because one guy said it on a podcast as second hand knowledge from an unnamed source it makes it fact these days?

just following the lead of today's media. Just saying. Again truth or not, it was obvious Reeder was not able to use the offense he had used at EWU for whatever reason, just like the TE's disappearing for the most part after the ACU game.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

just following the lead of today's media. Just saying. Again truth or not, it was obvious Reeder was not able to use the offense he had used at EWU for whatever reason, just like the TE's disappearing for the most part after the ACU game.

Kelvin Smith was injured the majority of the year, and every game I watched never showed Littrell calling plays, so who was calling the plays if Reeder wasn't?  Putin?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

So because one guy said it on a podcast as second hand knowledge from an unnamed source it makes it fact these days?

Brett Vito made the same claims as Matthew Brune in his Dec 2nd article in the Denton Record Chronicle. https://dentonrc.com/sports/where-unt-goes-from-here-after-the-departure-of-reeder/article_a2c1049c-3acf-545d-a507-02d7c1cd29ff.html

Vito on Seth & Harrell mutually parting ways:

Littrell found the right formula for a couple of years with Graham Harrell. UNT improved dramatically with the two of them working together. The feeling at the end of the 2018 season was that both parties wanted to move on. 

Vito on Seth's play calling:

Littrell declined to address publicly who was calling plays late in the season but spoke in a manner that made it clear that he was calling plays, or at least heavily influencing what UNT was calling.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Regardless, did anybody see Reeder's offense from before and think that's what we got?

Did anybody wonder why we didn't get that offense?

I know I did.

There could be any number of legitimate reasons, including players not meshing well with it. I don't know. 

Felt the same way.  I was excited to see Reeder's offense with our personel.  Needless to say the outcome fell way below the expectations.  Kind of like what happened to my wife and her marriage.

Image result for I dunno gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

it was obvious Reeder was not able to use the offense he had used at EWU for whatever reason, just like the TE's disappearing for the most part after the ACU game.

The only game film I could find on YouTube for 2018 was EWU vs UC-Davis. After watching some, I don’t see great dissimilarities between this year’s offense and the one in that EWU game other than a quarterback with Lamar Jackson type mobility, better O-line play, and a little more pulling of O-linemen.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

Brett Vito made the same claims as Matthew Brune in his Dec 2nd article in the Denton Record Chronicle. https://dentonrc.com/sports/where-unt-goes-from-here-after-the-departure-of-reeder/article_a2c1049c-3acf-545d-a507-02d7c1cd29ff.html

Vito on Seth & Harrell mutually parting ways:

Vito on Seth's play calling:

Unless that article was published before Monday at 11:53am when the Brune twitter post was put on the board, I’m going to chalk it up as Vito coming to GMG.com for news and just regurgitating Brune’s assertion.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

It wasn't just Brune. This had been discussed throughout the year. Littrell even let it be publicly known during and after Reeder's search that he would be calling more of the gameplan.

4 hours ago, Monkeypox said:

Regardless, did anybody see Reeder's offense from before and think that's what we got?

Did anybody wonder why we didn't get that offense?

I know I did.

There could be any number of legitimate reasons, including players not meshing well with it. I don't know. 

We definitely did not get much of anything that I was looking forward to out of EWU.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I could see them promoting Mainord and hiring another WR coach.

I also could see them hiring Koonz to be DC.

What do I know though, I am just a cubicle warrior.

I would think in this OC scenario Mainord would still coach WRs and they would hire a QB coach. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, rws69 said:

Seth was calling the plays the last half of the season is what I heard. Which worries me.

Edited by Sig381
  • Eye Roll 1

Watching Fine play I had the feeling there ere chemistry problems between him and Reeder all season. If it is true that Reeder was not calling plays since Houston, then SL probably also had issues with Reeder that he didn't publicise, but that clearly affected the quality. I do however wonder who was calling plays then, because SL doing it from the side-line would have been a recipe for disaster and I am sure SL would have known that too.

In any case, SL will be under a microscope by the fanbase for the forseeable future. How he does this season in recruiting will be very important. If he can't hold on to most of the class, then last season was a blip of an uptick. If he can, this means he may indeed be building long-term success. But then he will have to follow it up next season with at least some improvement. It will be tough, because the offense is bringing back less than it this season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, outoftown said:

because SL doing it from the side-line would have been a recipe for disaster and I am sure SL would have known that too.

In watching the games, nothing seemed to indicate Sl was calling plays, but if he was, why would it be a disaster.  I think Riley calls the plays for OU and that seems to be working out just fine.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

In watching the games, nothing seemed to indicate Sl was calling plays, but if he was, why would it be a disaster.  I think Riley calls the plays for OU and that seems to be working out just fine.

It's not so much about it being a disaster.  It's much more about knowing who to hold accountable for the disaster.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1