Reeder and Reffett Fired

Cerebus

57 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

No. The defense needs a complete overhaul. 

it does, but do we have the personnel to make a huge change? we have little to no DL depth, with 8 returners  (4 of those will be sophomores). So if we change defensive fronts we need to grab some serious Juco players to fill the gaps

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, golfingomez said:

it does, but do we have the personnel to make a huge change? we have little to no DL depth, with 8 returners  (4 of those will be sophomores). So if we change defensive fronts we need to grab some serious Juco players to fill the gaps

I feel like we need to get transfers across the board... I am sure Seth is already thinking this.  He needs to repair his brand and fast.  I think that is one good thing about next year.  He will have a lot to prove to potential future suitors. So, bringing in a lot of new blood... coaches and players would be a good move on his part.

• Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

We need defensive help even if we keep the exact same scheme.

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DentonLurker said:

Guys adjust to schemes all the time. I wouldn't worry too much about that. There's so many holes in that defense from this year, there will be a major overhaul in personnel anyway.

Especially in that atrocious secondary.    Mohammad, Robinson & Harvey are all gone.    And Cam is going to have to battle to keep his spot.   There are probably only 3 safe guys on defense:  Novil, Davis, & Davis.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Thankfully, Littrell got a first-hand look at what the graduate-transfer portal can do for a team having gone up against UAB and SMU last year and this year, respectively. I expect him to hit that avenue harder this recruiting season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

while i agree that changes need to be made it does make matters tough to be starting with a new OC and DC next year and implementing new schemes/wrinkles with unfamiliar coaches.

Hopefully Seth finds some people within a similar system fast!

The defense needs an overhaul and Fine is gone.  If there was such thing as good timing for new OC/DC, this is it.

I would have been okay with Reeder year 2, but I see value in this move: it suggests this staff and admin ain’t gonna dick around.  And our fans need to know and see that attitude.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Throw Away said:

I have lurked here for awhile just never made an account. But thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Think I’ll stick to Twitter. 

Thick skins are required here.  If I don't get downvoted or roll-eyes responses to my posts, I generally think the board is broken.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

...then see that lot "sold out" and be turned away from that lot and forced to park way over by the old Liberty buildings.
I was late to the ACU game and that happened to me, even after I showed them my pass.

I've seen them turn away drive up and pay folks once, but not blue pass holders. I would be livid.  But I'm also very methodical about how overly early I get to Apogee. 

I've seriously been thinking about paying for a motorhome spot and just coming the day before with a new tailgating toy. 💸💸💸

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

You aren't wrong there. I feel like we are usually nicer to those from other boards than we are to each other here. Such is the passion of fans! (and I love that the first response to your post was... an eye-roll). Always allowed to have an opinion here, as long as it's someone else's preferred opinion

Back to on topic, I'm still a little concerned Langston is hanging around, but maybe that's one of those rolls that doesn't get a lot of post-firing publicity. Saving that last shot of scotch from today's celebratory plastic jug for that announcement. 

Oh who am I kidding. It was Jim Beam in a toddler take n' toss bottle.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Udomann said:

You aren't wrong there. I feel like we are usually nicer to those from other boards than we are to each other here. Such is the passion of fans! (and I love that the first response to your post was... an eye-roll). Always allowed to have an opinion here, as long as it's someone else's preferred opinion

Back to on topic, I'm still a little concerned Langston is hanging around, but maybe that's one of those rolls that doesn't get a lot of post-firing publicity. Saving that last shot of scotch from today's celebratory plastic jug for that announcement. 

Oh who am I kidding. It was Jim Beam in a toddler take n' toss bottle.

At this point they might wait on any other changes until the new coordinators are in place so they can have input.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Is athletic success important to you or not.  If it's not, don't give no, judgement from me.  Just don't jump up and down and demand excellence.    Some of the loudest voices of complaint on here are the ones who don't have season tickets, don't give to the MGSF, and still yell about results all day. 

Agree 100%  I am one the tapped out.  I did the season ticket thing but now I just donate what I can afford and go to individual games.  I just want go to games in November with 5 wins and a conference title still in reach consistently.   Once we get that consistency then the demands to make the next step would be more reasonable.  If only Cowboys fans withheld their money demanding excellence like some UNT Alumni and fans do.  (Ironic because many UNT Alumni will spend big money on mediocre Cowboys teams but will complain to no end about an extra $5 for anything at Mean Green game.)

I never liked he 3-3-5 and Seth's affinity for that defensive scheme concerned me from the start.  It is a versatile formation for attacking pass happy spread teams but it shouldn't be the base defense.  Maybe if you had 3 of the best DL monsters from Dickey's era with no depth behind them I could see running that as your base.  Otherwise I prefer the traditional nickel maybe with one undersize LB with speed.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m not on board with Ek coming back. My recollection was we were pleased to see him go and the defense actually improved in 2017 when Ref to the reins alone. Plus that whole motorhome deal.

Are you referring to all the other schools he has coached at? That he can never stay in one place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I never liked he 3-3-5 and Seth's affinity for that defensive scheme concerned me from the start.  It is a versatile formation for attacking pass happy spread teams but it shouldn't be the base defense.  Maybe if you had 3 of the best DL monsters from Dickey's era with no depth behind them I could see running that as your base.  Otherwise I prefer the traditional nickel maybe with one undersize LB with speed.

I’m curious if Seth truly has an affinity for that scheme. Obviously he’s an offensive guy and his philosophy when hiring defensive coaches was to get coaches who were hard to score against. I’m not so sure he’s married to a 3-3-5 base.

Also, I think I would prefer to move out of it as well. I think it’s harder to recruit to than a 4-3.