Reeder and Reffett Fired

Cerebus

Most people that bitch about donating usually aren’t donating. Most fans that do are very happy and excited to do so. Money doesn’t impact the product? BS! Tell that to Ok State ( T Boone) Oregon ( knight). I would like to see a P5 OC and DC that had good stats but the head coach got let go. We will have to be in the $500,000 range. GMG 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

THIS SITUATION IS UNACCEPTABLE AND I DEMAND SOMEONE BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, just not me...

You can be part of the problem or part of the solution.

I am not saying take the money and stuff the cash in and envelope and hand it to SL.    There are a lot of things that can be fixed with more money. 

If you are tapped out, you are tapped out, thanks for giving.  If you can give $20 or $50 more bucks to help out the program, and you aren't doing it....? 

Is athletic success important to you or not.  If it's not, don't give no, judgement from me.  Just don't jump up and down and demand excellence.    Some of the loudest voices of complaint on here are the ones who don't have season tickets, don't give to the MGSF, and still yell about results all day. 

It's maddening. 

59 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

How about Kendal Briles as OC and Charlie Strong as DC? 

Yes. This would be a heck of a haul for us. Two great recruiters and with name brand recognition in Texas. I just don't see Charlie Strong taking a DC role at UNT after holding down the HC job at UT. I don't think his ego would allow him to take the job but I would love to be proven wrong. 

Kendal Briles, having won back-to-back state championships for Stephenville HS in '98 & '99, is a legend in Stephenville. His ties to Kade's hometown made it possible to recruit Kade Renfro away from UNT; which resulted in the offer from FSU. How funny would it be if Briles ends up as the OC at UNT and Kade decides to re-commit in the coming weeks. Sure would be a sly way by Littrell to get his QB back.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

OF COURSE

This offensive playcalling looked exactly like last years. GH goes to USC and turns their offense around....Reeder comes in, supposed to run an uptempo, vertical offense....and he doesn't.

I've been saying it all year....we don't know if the Bodie Reeder offense was bad this year because we never saw the Bodie Reeder offense....

I'm not saying he shouldn't be gone...he had other issues but the buck stops at Seth Littrell with this offense. 

I saw it first hand all season. Reeder had one hand tied behind his back the entire time. In every single way. He’s the fall guy, but unless Seth adopts some much needed leadership skills, learns to handle adversity, and starts loosening his grips...this ship will not be righted with him at the helm. 

Edited by Throw Away
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

Just now, trud1966 said:

Firing BOTH these guys Monday after the season ended terribly, and NOT giving the OC a 1 year "Grace Period", to me, is not only the right thing to do, but more importantly, it's a Big Program decision move.     Years in the past, we've seen this thing/drama drag on for season after season, keeping our fingers crossed, hoping, waiting, compromising. 

I hate this season, so man, I'm BEAMING with pride how people are being held accountable, band-aids are ripped off and we're making an effort, with a sense of urgency,  RIGHT F'ING NOW....

Being the boss is never easy, and leaders take the arrows first into battle.   Good for Seth....Lets fix this...

Yes.  Exactly.  #olddenton doesn't do this. 

If none of this change happened, and people decided to not give/buy tickets next year, I wouldn't have blamed them.  However, the program just did something huge to say we belong among the top G5, and I think we should all help them succeed. 

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Littrell's doing the right thing here and like I said, this does give me hope and shows that he's a CEO that will make tough decisions...but that shouldn't be REWARDED, that should be the bare minimum of an expectation for a serious head coach coming off a disastrous season. But honestly, who the hell knows if his replacements will be good? His OC hire obviously wasn't. So before I up my donation, the ole Head Coach needs to prove it to me...it's not me having to prove something to him. I did this year and he didn't hold up his end of the bargain. He's making much needed changes...great. But make the right hire and go challenge for the conference next year. I don't want to hear about him rebuilding. I know we're replacing Fine...but QB is not the biggest problem on this team. If we believe recruiting rankings, then he has plenty of talent to challenge for the conference next year and it can be done in a year...plenty of programs do it. Go win....that's all I care about.

Big boy programs don't get fans lined up to increase donations after 4-8 seasons. The burden is on the $2 million head coach...not fans who fund the program. After 20 years, I'm done with this chicken/egg situation. Do they need donations to up coaching salaries? yeah? Then what should the expectation be of the coaches that benefit from those higher salaries.

It ain't 4-8.

Call me this time next year.....

I see your point and I agree we should not reward 4-8 seasons. 

I also know companies are rewarded when their CEO convinces top talent to come work for them. When rockstar hires happen, they move the needle and the stock prices rises. Shareholders love when all-star, C-level talent is brought in because it generates buzz and excitement. This is where I would be willing to open my wallet, even after a 4-8 season.

If Seth can convince Kendal Briles and Charlie Strong to join our ranks as OC & DC, I will show Wren Baker my approval & excitement by purchasing season tickets and increasing my annual donation. Give me Littrell, Briles, and Strong and you can take my money.

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Just now, C Rod said:

I see your point and I agree we should not reward 4-8 seasons. 

I also know companies are rewarded when their CEO convince top talent to come work for them. When rockstar hires happen, they move the needle and the companies stock prices rises. Shareholders love when all-star, C-level talent is brought in because it generates buzz and excitement. This is where I would be willing to open my wallet, even after a 4-8 season.

If Seth can convince Kendal Briles and Charlie Strong to join our ranks as OC & DC, I will show Wren Baker my approval & excitement by purchasing season tickets and increasing my annual donation. Give me Littrell, Briles, and Strong and you can take my money.

Strong will have his pick of many offers.    Not sure Briles will.

• Upvote 1

I hate celebrating when people lose their job, but these moves had to have been made, period.  I wish them both success in the future.

Not sure who I would like to see take their place as there are others that have better insight in to coaches that could be available.  Orlando doesn't move the needle for me.  I would love to see someone hired from the Brent Venables "coaching tree" to lead to the defense.  I want an attacking style that is reminiscent of our teams led by Booger, Spencer, Jones, Buckles, etc...

OC, I am torn on Briles due to his background, and I have a real difficult time believing that he will not be picked up by another P5 program.  We are loaded with skill players and I think they were underutilized this year with a boring offense.  We need motion, misdirection and creativity in the play calling.  As many have stated, I scratched my head too many times this year trying to determine what in the world we were doing.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I have always wished fired coaches or those that quit would have a "Mean Green Garage Sale" to rid themselves of un-needed polo shirts and sweatshirts.  I wonder how many of those items get put in the trash. 

There was an article on the Athletic a couple weeks ago about this very thing. Some coaches keep at least one momento from programs they enjoyed their stops at, but only wear them off-season. Others do a complete purge and typically give away most everything to friends ro folks they know around town.

2 minutes ago, Moobs said:

How well did Briles get along with the Lane Train?  What are the chances he goes to Arkansas with Kiffin?

Their offense was phenomenal when they were together.   Granted, they had Motor Singletary to do everything for them...   Still, I bet he wouldn't mind getting the band back together.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I hate celebrating when people lose their job, but these moves had to have been made, period.  I wish them both success in the future.

Not sure who I would like to see take their place as there are others that have better insight in to coaches that could be available.  Orlando doesn't move the needle for me.  I would love to see someone hired from the Brent Venables "coaching tree" to lead to the defense.  I want an attacking style that is reminiscent of our teams led by Booger, Spencer, Jones, Buckles, etc...

OC, I am torn on Briles due to his background, and I have a real difficult time believing that he will not be picked up by another P5 program.  We are loaded with skill players and I think they were underutilized this year with a boring offense.  We need motion, misdirection and creativity in the play calling.  As many have stated, I scratched my head too many times this year trying to determine what in the world we were doing.

agree

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Most people that bitch about donating usually aren’t donating. Most fans that do are very happy and excited to do so. Money doesn’t impact the product? BS! Tell that to Ok State ( T Boone) Oregon ( knight). I would like to see a P5 OC and DC that had good stats but the head coach got let go. We will have to be in the $500,000 range. GMG 

That was around McCarney's starting salary in 2011. Can't believe that was 9 years ago already that we let Todd Dodge go. 

• Upvote 2

I feel like I just got an early Christmas present. It is the season of coaching changes and big names constantly come available, be it firing or resigning (such as Peterson at Washington, just now) so I finally have some optimism we may right this ship for next season. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

"Bodie Reeder hadn't called plays since Houston"

Give this a listen.....

tenor.gif

When he said that Littrell wanted Harrell out and they “mutually” parted ways, he lost all credibility with me.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

53 minutes ago, Throw Away said:

I saw it first hand all season. Reeder had one hand tied behind his back the entire time. In every single way. He’s the fall guy, but unless Seth adopts some much needed leadership skills, learns to handle adversity, and starts loosening his grips...this ship will not be righted with him at the helm. 

Best of luck with your future endeavors 

• Haha 5