Reeder and Reffett Fired

Cerebus

Just now, Cerebus said:

A lot of people demand accountability from everyone except themselves. 

Lol. At your JOB, you have accountability, because your ass is getting paid. 

A consumer of a product or an investor of a stock has no responsibility to keep buying something that isn't good or increase investment in a company that hasn't shown it's capable of growth. 

Smear that BS somewhere else. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, meanJewGreen said:

I know a lot of you on this board seem to not think this way but I'd hope Briles's participation in the Baylor sexual assault cases would cast a bigger shadow on him than his performance at FSU. 

I haven't heard of any sexual assault scandals happening at FAU, Houston, or FSU while he was at those places.   Probably because they have HC's that don't turn blind eyes to that kind of thing, and he knows (let alone what he may have learned) that stuff won't fly.

• Upvote 7

Just now, Monkeypox said:

Lol. At your JOB, you have accountability, because your ass is getting paid. 

A consumer of a product or an investor of a stock has no responsibility to keep buying something that isn't good or increase investment in a company that hasn't shown it's capable of growth. 

Smear that BS somewhere else. 

As a booster though (I assume you are), when we ask for more funding to pay better coordinators, we're the ones on the hook to cough up those funds.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Cerebus said:

A lot of people demand accountability from everyone except themselves. 

Im not sure that applies here.  Our 4,000-6,000 loyal fans who show and support rain or shine shouldn’t be expected to carry everyone else, but they probably will. 

We have no idea what level the OC and DC will come from.  I’m thinking that will dictate the most if there’s an increase in pay or not.

BTW...people are misled if they think our coaching salary increase last year came from WB.  That last contract extension and increase was pushed for by the BOR.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

36 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

I know a lot of you on this board seem to not think this way but I'd hope Briles's participation in the Baylor sexual assault cases would cast a bigger shadow on him than his performance at FSU. 

Get the phuck over it dude!

The Briles’ didn’t rape anyone nor did they encourage a rape of anyone.

Theyve both paid dearly in many ways for the mistakes they did make and are trying to start over.  

You have to believe going forward that they learned from their mistakes and won’t ever allow anything like the Baylor trouble to ever happen again.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 12

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

This is what I'm saying....tired of the "guilt trip"

What's our "addressable market" for UNT donors? Say it's 300,000 alumni and 100,000 Denton County residents. So an addressable market of 400,000 "customers" (totally making this up)

Yet we go back to those same 10% and chastise them for not doing more. The coaching staff has to do more to get the other 90% and that only happens with consistent winning and big wins. 

I CAN'T GET MORE DONORS TO DONATE

Right or wrong, I know people that haven’t started donating bc of how the school goes about it. They don’t even let you get off the stage before they start soliciting. There have been times where they’d call late at night. My wife got a call at 9pm the other day asking for money. It’s extremely off putting. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Im not sure that applies here.  Our 4,000-6,000 loyal fans who show and support rain or shine shouldn’t be expected to carry everyone else, but they probably will. 

We have no idea what level the OC and DC will come from.  I’m thinking that will dictate the most if there’s an increase in pay or not.

BTW...people are misled if they think our coaching salary increase last year came from WB.  That last contract extension and increase was pushed for by the BOR.

Rick

Not to get off topic but years ago I gave more than I could afford (my wife at the time was not happy about it) and the next year when RV and crew tried to guilt me into giving more (asking for more is fine, insisting I could give more wasn't fine) I shot back with how about you guys get more donors instead of bleeding the ones who already bleed green. 

Wren and company are doing a much better job but we need to reach more people. It still seems like a take your money and send you email and parting gift kind of operation. Gotta do more than that.  

• Upvote 6

Just now, meanrob said:

Not to get off topic but years ago I gave more than I could afford (my wife at the time was not happy about it) and the next year when RV and crew tried to guilt me into giving more (asking for more is fine, insisting I could give more wasn't fine) I shot back with how about you guys get more donors instead of bleeding the ones who already bleed green. 

Wren and company are doing a much better job but we need to reach more people. It still seems like a take your money and send you email and parting gift kind of operation. Gotta do more than that.  

Hell yeah!

Rick

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Right or wrong, I know people that haven’t started donating bc of how the school goes about it. They don’t even let you get off the stage before they start soliciting. There have been times where they’d call late at night. My wife got a call at 9pm the other day asking for money. It’s extremely off putting. 

Not to get off topic but what is the best way to go about it? Heck when my youngest brother started at A&M back in 2013  they were already talking to him about donating to the alumni fund. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, meanJewGreen said:

Not to get off topic but what is the best way to go about it? Heck when my youngest brother started at A&M back in 2013  they were already talking to him about donating to the alumni fund. 

I don't have an exact answer but I do think they should have a big event prior to football season where either people can bring friends to find out about the MGSF or invite new people to learn about the program. And no, I don't mean hearing a coach speak. The majority of people who need to be reached have no idea who even Reeder or Reffert are, they just want to have fun and be part of something. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

something seemed off all year...

We didn't run the offense Reeder ran before...

Don't know why. Pure speculation on my part, but it sure seemed to be a dysfunctional match: Littrell and Reeder.

Our offense was never locked in this year

"Bodie Reeder hadn't called plays since Houston"

Give this a listen.....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Eye Roll 2

Just now, untbowler said:

so if Reeder did not call plays then who can we blame for the Offensive woes? SL??

OF COURSE

This offensive playcalling looked exactly like last years. GH goes to USC and turns their offense around....Reeder comes in, supposed to run an uptempo, vertical offense....and he doesn't.

I've been saying it all year....we don't know if the Bodie Reeder offense was bad this year because we never saw the Bodie Reeder offense....

I'm not saying he shouldn't be gone...he had other issues but the buck stops at Seth Littrell with this offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok folks, get ready to eye roll because here comes the talk about cultural issues here and how it effects what is the most important issue regarding any new coach that we hire......RECRUITMENT. 

Great coaches are also great, or at least above average,  recruiters. 

But it's not just how well you can sell yourself, it's how well you can sell who you represent. And since Hayden Fry left, many coaches have been hired who, after a couple of years, just shake their heads and go "what the hell is the matter with these people?"

Hayden Fry could almost sell ice to Eskimos. And that was a good thing because (especially when he came here) selling North Texas football to outstanding recruits was pretty close to the same thing. Fortunately for us at that time Hayden was selling himself as well as his ability to make significant changes to the OLD NORTH TEXAS.  No one has been able to or even motivated to do the same thing since.

We are, in fact, not "your parents/grandparents" North Texas.  But I haven't seen any evidence that anyone is regularly going out there and delivering that message OVER AND OVER to the general public..........especially the High School coaches in Texas.

This is a long harangue to say this. Who ever we hire to replace our OC and DC better be fully aware of what they are going to be selling to recruits, and be ready with a lot of "yeah buts".

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ve seen 2 things in particular in this thread that I hope Littrell doesn’t share the same viewpoint on.

Reeder didn’t fail bc he came from an FCS school , he failed because he called bad games and consistently put our best players in very tough situations to succeed. I hope Littrell isn’t scared to go the FCS route again because of Reeder. Not saying that’s the route we should go, but excluding those guys from consideration just because Reeder failed is short sighted and eliminates a lot of potential good hires for no real reason related to their own merit.

The other thing is that paying big boy money is the direction this has to go. The most expensive and qualified candidate we can get is definitely not guaranteed to be the best man for the job. I hope Littrell’s focus is on the best man for the job and not who is the most expensive guy we can afford to hire. 

I just think he'll be a little gunshy on it.   If there's a guy that jumps off the page at him, hey may go for it again.   But I bet there will be plenty of interest in the job, so he'll have quite a few guys to choose from.

29 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ve seen 2 things in particular in this thread that I hope Littrell doesn’t share the same viewpoint on.

Reeder didn’t fail bc he came from an FCS school , he failed because he called bad games and consistently put our best players in very tough situations to succeed. I hope Littrell isn’t scared to go the FCS route again because of Reeder. Not saying that’s the route we should go, but excluding those guys from consideration just because Reeder failed is short sighted and eliminates a lot of potential good hires for no real reason related to their own merit.

The other thing is that paying big boy money is the direction this has to go. The most expensive and qualified candidate we can get is definitely not guaranteed to be the best man for the job. I hope Littrell’s focus is on the best man for the job and not who is the most expensive guy we can afford to hire. 

If we pay big boy money for an OC is LIttrell going to let the OC run the offense? Because it appears he hasn't yet...

Edited by TheColonyEagle