Graham Harrell to Texas?

Big Z

247 is also reporting Harrell could go to Texas should Herman replace his OC. 

Sources said USC’s Graham Harrell — who spent three years at North Texas as offensive coordinator before joining the Trojans’ staff under Clay Helton this season — might lead Herman’s list of potential candidates for offensive coordinator.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Sources-Herman-could-replace-both-coordinators-if-he-chooses-139565280/

Edited by VideoEagle

36 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not to be combative, but what makes you think he wasn’t/isn’t ready?  His first year at USC resulted in improving from 26 ppg to 33 ppg.

Say what you will about his last year here and the 2nd half woes but there was a definite drop in offensive effectiveness this year for UNT. 

He also made that improvement at USC with a freshman starting QB after their initial starter went down in game one with a knee injury.  I will eat crow and admit that I thought Reeder would be an upgrade over Harrell, but man was I wrong.  I would love to see Graham back here, but I think that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, cogido said:

I like Graham Harrell and his growth potential, but.....

1. Graham wasn’t ready to be OC when he came to NT.
  2. Graham wasn’t ready to be OC when he went to USC.
  3. Graham isn’t ready for a prime time OC position now.

And Mike Canales was ready to be an OC here?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Big Z said:

And Mike Canales was ready to be an OC here?

Was what made MC a bad OC because he called bad plays or was it because he was a poor recruiter/talent evaluator?  For how much he touted his love for coaching QB’s, he had a terrible time bringing in and making a good one.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Was what made MC a bad OC because he called bad plays or was it because he was a poor recruiter/talent evaluator?  For how much he touted his love for coaching QB’s, he had a terrible time bringing in and making a good one.  

He’s doing poor at UTEP also

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He also made that improvement at USC with a freshman starting QB after their initial starter went down in game one with a knee injury.  I will eat crow and admit that I thought Reeder would be an upgrade over Harrell, but man was I wrong.  I would love to see Graham back here, but I think that ship has sailed.

Agreed. Graham has done enough to stick around P5 for a while. He ain’t coming back. (Unless there’s a wink wink deal between him and Seth that makes him HC should Seth have a successful season and leave next year.)

I was surprised by many people wanting Ash instead of Harrell. The main reason was the lack of the run game. I thought Graham did a better job of running the ball, mainly in the redzone, and Torrey more touches. I think it hurt that Loren went out with the ACL injury

To sum it up, Texas wants to run the ball even with passing. We all know GH won't be doing that😂

• Upvote 1

I truly do not understand some of the UNT fanbase hate for Graham herald.

UNT defense was terrible, very subpar. But if you think we would have lost games to other teams like Call on our schedule, I think your crazy.

It would be interesting to find out from Mason fine once he's gone for several years. What he actually thinks of Graham herald, versus Reeder. And the chemistry between Graham Harold and Seth littrell.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, UNTMike81 said:

I truly do not understand some of the UNT fanbase hate for Graham herald.

UNT defense was terrible, very subpar. But if you think we would have lost games to other teams like Call on our schedule, I think your crazy.

It would be interesting to find out from Mason fine once he's gone for several years. What he actually thinks of Graham herald, versus Reeder. And the chemistry between Graham Harold and Seth littrell.

Wish we could dig up Vince Lombardy.  He’d bring in a good OC for sure.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

This. All of this. I am eating crow for the next year.  Harrell was significantly better than Reeder, especially as a QB coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone still questioning Harrell, here's and article from the DMN today on how here would be a great hire for Texas. He's repeated called a "big time OC" and how he's built himself a good resume. And the pictures are all from his time at UNT. 

https://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=368a8c2a-fea2-4337-9f32-52932197e099&appid=1125

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Helton staying at USC

And I doubt he cans the guy who improved his offense by 80yds/game and a TD/game!   Harrell's stock is skyrocketing. 
For all the frustrations we had with him regarding 2nd half offensive stagnation, I'm starting to think (especially after this year), that those were due to a mental issue with the team.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:43 AM, cogido said:

I like Graham Harrell and his growth potential, but.....

1. Graham wasn’t ready to be OC when he came to NT.
  2. Graham wasn’t ready to be OC when he went to USC.
  3. Graham isn’t ready for a prime time OC position now.

hello...the USC OC is a "prime time" position.

• Upvote 3