Next years QB

southsideguy

Aune I think is ready to take over and has the talent if we block for him

Martin-I think he could be good but I think he needs to be more focused on the game.   He is always getting the team going but not sure if SL likes that.  I watch Bean and Aune  andthey are subdued   on the sidelines.  

Bean I am not sold on and it hard for me to believe we don't have a better backup if Bean is second string.  He needs to hit the weight room and gain some weight.  With his speed he might make a great receiver. 

Just what I have noticed watching the game.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Martin-I think he could be good but I think he needs to be more focused on the game.   He is always getting the team going but not sure if SL likes that.  I watch Bean and Aune  andthey are subdued   on the sidelines.  

Bean I am not sold on and it hard for me to believe we don't have a better backup if Bean is second string.  He needs to hit the weight room and gain some weight.  With his speed he might make a great receiver. 

Aune is the best choice IMO.  Bean definitely has speed (he may be the fastest on the field) but not much else.  I think Aune can take the hits and deliver the ball quickly and accurately.  Plus, don't those former baseball players like to run a lot?  A duel threat would be great, too.  GMG

Edited by Philip Ferguson
Typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I mean our bench is usually dead this year, so at least they have Kason to get them a bit of energy. I mean the Rice game, most of the bench was just dead

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I mean our bench is usually dead this year, so at least they have Kason to get them a bit of energy. I mean the Rice game, most of the bench was just dead

I agree, I like a leader that tries to pick his teammates up. Kason had about as much chance of seeing the field when Mason is healthy as I do. I say good for Kason for trying to make an impact even if he had no chance of doing it on the field. Also don’t forget his TD pass in NM bowl.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Austin throws the best deep ball, is athletic and has size. Would still be curious on the right grad transfer or JUCO with 2 years and reporting early. I hate that we are seeing Bucshle (?)again next year!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we should hedge our bets and go find the best P5 transfer portal QB we can land (like SMU did with Buechele). Maybe we get a diamond. Maybe not. But we were going to take a QB in this class anyway, so why not get a guy that has been there and done it on a high level. If one of the young guns can beat him for the job, than great. Remember Fine had to take the job from Alabama transfer Alec Morris. In my opinion, the more competition, the better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

The only one I'm pretty certain of is Aune. Bean depends too much on his gazelle-like running ability. The only problem with that is that there are too many Cheetah's out there hungry to bring him down......hard. I'll be real interested in spring practice and how Kuehne does in open competition. 

I expect Aune to get the nod with Kuhne as his backup.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

If we can’t block any better.....Bean may be our best bet. We’re gonna need a running QB for survival 

I get the logic that a mobile QB could maybe avoid sacks when the line isn’t blocking great, but Bean has been incredibly turnover prone in the game action we have seen. I believe he already has turned the ball over 6 times in his career. Seems like Bean and a bad line is a recipe for turnover disaster.

But honestly I think Bean would turn the ball over too much for my liking. That may not be a completely fair evaluation but that’s just my feeling on him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why do some of you have the opinion that Martin is not focused on the field?  Just because he is animated on the sideline doesn’t mean he isn’t focused  

Honestly, I would love to see Bean develop but his passing has not been impressive to me. Unless it improves greatly, I would rather see him move to the slot and let Aune, Martin and Kuehne battle it out. I believe we have the talent to run lead the team. I just hope a decision is made early and the starter gets a lot of reps in practice. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I get the logic that a mobile QB could maybe avoid sacks when the line isn’t blocking great, but Bean has been incredibly turnover prone in the game action we have seen. I believe he already has turned the ball over 6 times in his career. Seems like Bean and a bad line is a recipe for turnover disaster.

But honestly I think Bean would turn the ball over too much for my liking. That may not be a completely fair evaluation but that’s just my feeling on him.

Don’t disagree....

I’ve always been impressed with Aune Actually. (Admittedly In a limited sample size) Plus he’s athletic enough to run when needed and he’s bigger than Fine....can probably take some hits. 

• Upvote 1