Wren & Coach Mumbles

mgfan

43 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Why?  Were SMU and UH supposed to beat us like they did this year?  Are we just incapable of returning the favor?

History tells us Likely not. 😕 but I don’t think anyone expected us to have the 2013 year we did and that was quite a season.  

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Why?  Were SMU and UH supposed to beat us like they did this year?  Are we just incapable of returning the favor?

At the moment we are not capable of returning the favor. This team needs work. Lots of work. I hope we get our act together and put our big boy pants on and win.

The same coaches will be back again next year for your viewing pleasure.  SL has made no comments or indication that a change is coming.  Not sure how reliable this rumor because the link of people involved could have made the story was told to me.  A lot of the coaches do not get along and do not like each other.  

If this true changes need to be made to get everyone on the same page. I guess they missed the t-shirt Unite.

• Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 4

17 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Did you see any of the Marshall vs FIU today?.   A home game for Marshall that actually meant something.   They showed some very good shots of the whole stadium and there could not have been a thousand there.  

I thought the NT crowd was about what was to be expected.  

Saturday after Thanksgiving, students out for holiday, 4 & 7 record, opponent no one cares about, etc. I was surprised that we had as many fans as we did.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Did you see any of the Marshall vs FIU today?.   A home game for Marshall that actually meant something.   They showed some very good shots of the whole stadium and there could not have been a thousand there.  

I thought the NT crowd was about what was to be expected.  

Considering a holiday weekend with students away, I thought the crowd size was good.  More is better, of course, but respectable IMO.  I still remember FAU's CUSU Championship game in Boaca and the place was empty.  GMG

12 months ago we fans were nervous about losing Littrell.  2019 sucked but I think Littrell's more than earned a chance to evaluate and respond this off-season. 

I think we've already seen a change in the JUCO offers that have gone out over the last couple months.  I'll be anxious to see how he shakes up the staff but I'm also comfortable admitting that

1. I'm too far away from the program's day to day to try to assign direct blame
  2. I know less about football, strength & conditioning, and recruiting than anyone currently on staff does.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

At the moment we are not capable of returning the favor. This team needs work. Lots of work. I hope we get our act together and put our big boy pants on and win.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I felt like UH was way out of our league BEFORE they came to Denton. Only after Tune replaced King as their QB did I think we could play with them, but as it turned out, we couldn’t match their athleticism at all.

As for SMU, I thought we would beat them in a close game, but I knew that Sonny Dykes and Shane Buechele would work well together and that’s what they did at many other places too on the roster. 

Could we bounce back and beat SMU or even UH next year? Possible, but not probable. Breaking in a new QB with no linemen isn’t a real positive, nor is having an entire part of your team (defense) that basically gets ignored and has to recruit from an area of weakness for TX HS football these days. I suspect a 4-5 win season will be the way things go for the Mean Green in 2020. We don’t have the physicality to play with any of the non-Texas CUSA West teams right now and I think that 2021 is going to be when we see a bounce back for SL and crew, which should be when these better recruiting classes get experienced and stronger/faster. If not, 2022 is going to be SL’s hottest seat imaginable, if not 2021 itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I felt like UH was way out of our league BEFORE they came to Denton. Only after Tune replaced King as their QB did I think we could play with them, but as it turned out, we couldn’t match their athleticism at all.

As for SMU, I thought we would beat them in a close game, but I knew that Sonny Dykes and Shane Buechele would work well together and that’s what they did at many other places too on the roster. 

Could we bounce back and beat SMU or even UH next year? Possible, but not probable. Breaking in a new QB with no linemen isn’t a real positive, nor is having an entire part of your team (defense) that basically gets ignored and has to recruit from an area of weakness for TX HS football these days. I suspect a 4-5 win season will be the way things go for the Mean Green in 2020. We don’t have the physicality to play with any of the non-Texas CUSA West teams right now and I think that 2021 is going to be when we see a bounce back for SL and crew, which should be when these better recruiting classes get experienced and stronger/faster. If not, 2022 is going to be SL’s hottest seat imaginable, if not 2021 itself.

Oh, so his 7th year is when we should ramp up our expectations. Got it. 

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, untjim1995 said:

You paying that buyout? Nah, you already said you ain’t coming around anymore unless we start winning again.

I attended yesterday. Couldn't not go. But, yeah, I'm checking out. Only way I have, as a fan, to voice displeasure. If Reffett is retained as it's looking, I may not even pay attention. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

You paying that buyout? Nah, you already said you ain’t coming around anymore unless we start winning again.

No insight here, but I suspect we have some deep pockets invested in this ship and will not let money be a deal breaker if a change needs to be made.

i did not feel this way pre-Wren.

Edited by greenminer