Referees

UNTLifer

Two questions regarding officiating. 
1. Why is it left up to the conferences?  Seems to me that we could eliminate so called conference bias if they were just NCAA officials and not tied to a conference. 

2. Who is in charge of CUSA officiating?  So inconsistent with their calls from game to game. Does anyone review their work?  It is almost embarrassing how bad they are. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, shootermcgavin44 said:

Asinine to think there is any type of “bias”. D1 officials work very hard to get to the D1 level and could care less who wins. 

The issue is the depth/ quality of officials at all levels. Officials are treated so poorly in youth and junior high level games that most quit before theIr first year. 

There’s a massive official shortage at the high school level due to veteran officials retiring and no young officials there to replace them due to poor working conditions for beginner officials. There has to have a trickle up effect to the college level. 

Absolutely correct. Seeing it in all sports. Next generation has no desire to deal with the insane parents, spoiled players and entitled coaches who think they can say and do whatever the hell they want.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Two questions regarding officiating. 
1. Why is it left up to the conferences?  Seems to me that we could eliminate so called conference bias if they were just NCAA officials and not tied to a conference. 

2. Who is in charge of CUSA officiating?  So inconsistent with their calls from game to game. Does anyone review their work?  It is almost embarrassing how bad they are. 

You could put all officials as “NCAA” officials and you are going to get the same crews. SEC/ Big 12 officials make way more than CUSA officials so the better officials are going to get assigned those P5 games and CUSA and Sunbelt are getting the lesser crews.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Asinine to think there is any type of “bias”. D1 officials work very hard to get to the D1 level and could care less who wins. 

The issue is the depth/ quality of officials at all levels. Officials are treated so poorly in youth and junior high level games that most quit before theIr first year. 

There’s a massive official shortage at the high school level due to veteran officials retiring and no young officials there to replace them due to poor working conditions for beginner officials. There has to have a trickle up effect to the college level. 

Just because there isn't a strong candidate pool doesn't excuse them for being horrible at their jobs.  That's like saying it's okay the mechanic didn't fix your car right because there aren't enough good mechanics in your town.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Just because there isn't a strong candidate pool doesn't excuse them for being horrible at their jobs.  That's like saying it's okay the mechanic didn't fix your car right because there aren't enough good mechanics in your town.

I agree the pool of candidates has shrunk. I used to call baseball and have considered going back due to the need. Again, this doesn’t excuse how poorly they are prepared and how inconsistent they are with their calls. 

@peanuts104 answer above is correct. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

If you think they are bad, you really arnt going to like what’s behind them as a replacement. At the high school level, the shortage is a major problem and games are being moved to Thursday and Saturday to be able to be covered across the state. If officials arnt treated better at lower levels it is going to definitely impact the college level. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

That’s good news for me because I plan on starting my career in football officiating when my daughter goes to middle school next year. My son is playing football at the jr.  High level so my Saturdays are now open. Maybe I’ll be doing NT games within 10 years?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

That’s good news for me because I plan on starting my career in football officiating when my daughter goes to middle school next year. My son is playing football at the jr.  High level so my Saturdays are now open. Maybe I’ll be doing NT games within 10 years?

Based on your alias name, have you considered being an NBA ref instead?

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2019 at 4:47 PM, shootermcgavin44 said:

I agreed with all of your post except the above. When the Big XII and SEC are cutting their checks and a team from a lower conference plays at one of these teams in their conference, there are always questionable calls. You don’t think they don’t feel pressure from the home team?  I’ve seen too many games that would lead me to believe otherwise.  

• Upvote 1