WBB at Hawaii Tourney

Mean Green Matt

Uninspired second half from the Mean Green, but gutted it out in the end, albeit against a terrible Hawaii team.  Nice to see the freshman Nyah Boyd, who had been really, really struggling from the line, hit her last 4 to seal it.

Edit: Another double double from Anisha George, who is going to be really critical to the success of the team this year.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I know it was a loss, but we were pretty competitive with Texas today. Tomorrow may be tough against NC State. I’m still confident this team figures some things out. 

Was at the football game, so didn't see the game.  Very surprised to see Thompson's line in the game.   These freshmen kept improving, they are going to be tough in the league.   Three of four NT top scorers were freshmen.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Was at the football game, so didn't see the game.  Very surprised to see Thompson's line in the game.   These freshmen kept improving, they are going to be tough in the league.   Three of four NT top scorers were freshmen.  

I was just following along on live stats while day dreaming we were playing for bowl eligibility. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

George is really really good. She is gonna have a huge workload in C-USA play, but the way the freshman are playing is making me have some hope. 

I'm mad that Rice still has the tallest WBB player I've ever seen in Nancy Mulkey

• Eye Roll 1

Lost by 11.  I'm not a moral victory guy at all, but we followed up the win against Hawaii with two pretty decent performances.  Freshman Nyah Boyd with 22.  Freshman Randi Thompson with 11.  In a game that Anisha George was pretty much shut down (5 points and 4 rebounds) we found a way to battle. I know there are a lot of skeptics but I think this might be a pretty good team after another few weeks.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

No shame in getting beat 76-65 by the number 12 rated team, but much better:

Boyd 22 pts 5 rebs

Jackson 9 pts 3 rebs.

Thompson 11 pts 1 reb

McDowell 4 pts 6 rebs

The above are all freshmen and included the top 3 scorers and top 2 rebounders in the game for NT.

Difference was NCS 6'5 player which NT could not stop.  Going to have same problem with much taller girl from Rice, 6'9 Mulkey.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No shame in getting beat 76-65 by the number 12 rated team, but much better:

Boyd 22 pts 5 rebs

Jackson 9 pts 3 rebs.

Thompson 11 pts 1 reb

McDowell 4 pts 6 rebs

The above are all freshmen and included the top 3 scorers and top 2 rebounders in the game for NT.

Difference was NCS 6'5 player which NT could not stop.  Going to have same problem with much taller girl from Rice, 6'9 Mulkey.  

She was the biggest scorer against NT all year, and sadly we play her twice!