F O U T S F I E L D

tmjerm

Babb tweeted this yesterday.  For a positive change of pace, let’s reminisce on our best memories of Fouts.  

-I grew up a Houston Cougar until 05 when I came to Denton freshman year after athletics had ended and playing in ungood rock bands started.  Part of why I chose NT, outside of the music scene, was the 4 straight championships up to that point (I’d be sorely disappointed).  I got to see Cobbs and Thomas’ last yr together, as rough as it was.  
-I enjoyed Woody Wilson leading a W against SMU in 06, that was the first time I experienced true joy and collegiate atmosphere at Fouts 

-Sprinkled in were some ungood but interesting experiences against FIU and Navy

-Casey Fitzgerald’s 95(?) yd quick out for TD...that dude was electric. 

-My now wife and I’s first game together watching Lance go off on K State in a near win to send her off into the sunset.  

it was ugly, too far from the action, had a disgusting track and  no amenities but part of me wanted so bad to update and build onto it instead of build Apogee.  I named my dog Fouts.  I miss being on campus.  It wasn’t pretty, but it was ours.  

6F6FAEBE-61A2-4CBD-8BD5-62CCD977655F.png

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 6

The new stadium is superior in almost every way. Even nostalgia for me.  I, being younger, have more nostalgic memories from Apogee than I do Fouts. I came on campus a year after the last football game at Fouts.  I remember the Hail Mason against UTSA (I will not call it the drive) and that is my favorite memory from Apogee.  In my opinion, we've had a lot more success (this season somewhat disregarded) in Apogee than the previous stadium. Attendance appears to be up as well. I don't miss Fouts. I'm glad we made the change and I think it was for the better.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

I don’t have any bad memories of Fouts even with the losses.  I saw my beloved Eagles and then Mean Green play.  I got to see among others Art Perkins, Bobby Smith, Joe Greene, Cedric Hardiman, and etc.  I saw Odus Mitchell and the best band . I don’t care about it’s shortcomings, I will never say anything bad about Fouts.  I forgot.  It was also the site of my master’s and doctoral graduations.

• Upvote 6

Fouts is a major part of our history. It’s where Joe Greene played. It’s where Abner Haynes and Leon King broke the color barrier for major college football in the south. Was the site of our only win over a ranked team. A bunch of conference championships. And most importantly it was ours. Yes, the physical stadium was awful, but, at the risk of sounding corny, there was much more to Fouts than the physical structure. I will always remember it fondly. 

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, GreenFlag said:

I had a UNT police officer tell me they would often catch students getting amorous at Fouts in the evening. They called them FFFs or Triple Fs. That stood for Fouts Field F&€¥ers. 

Back in the Matthews days before coed dorms and such, Fouts was probably the go to place.  It was patrolled by campus security, but they left couples alone.  Matthews supposedly said he would rather couples go parking there where it could be protected rather than out on some unprotected country road.

• Upvote 2

Fouts was fine with me.  I go to a game to see football played.  Sitting on metal, concrete or fancy seats never made much difference to me.  The track around the field was not good, but almost all stadiums as old as Fouts had them. 

I never had as bad as experience at Fouts has sitting in the visitors' sections at UT, OU, A&M or LSU.  Premium prices for horrible seats. 

Fouts had to go, for recruiting if nothing else.  Apogee is a great stadium, but it is the game that counts. 

I have seen hundreds of games at Fouts, can't say I enjoyed all of them; but lots of memories. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1