UAB Preview & Prediction

Philip Ferguson

UAB has a lot to play for <gulp> GMG

https://sportschatplace.com/picks/college-football/north-texas-mean-green-vs-uab-blazers-11-30-19-ncaa-football-pick-odds-and-prediction

This is an interesting matchup. It is senior day for North Texas and despite a 4-7 overall record, the Mean Green is 4-1 at home with the only loss coming against a tough Houston team. In fact, North Texas is averaging winning by 22.8 points per game in those four home wins. But UAB definitely has the motivation to not only win, but win impressively. With the Southern Miss and Louisiana Tech games starting just 30 minutes earlier, the Blazers won’t know the outcome of those games until late.

• Upvote 3

https://www.al.com/uab/2019/11/uab-heads-to-north-texas-for-season-finale.html

"This will be their bowl game, their seniors’ last game and their last home game.’ Every emotion we had last week, they’re probably going to have that and more. We’re going to expect every bit of their best.”

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, drex said:

The real embarrassment is for a university of 39,000 students and over 200,000 alumni to be playing in Conference USA and not a better conference.

I totally agree. But loyal and consistent participation by those 200K+ people is not a numerical issue. Participation is (get ready for the umpteenth mention of this) both a promotional and a cultural issue........mainly Cultural. 

But cultural change starts at the top. Dr. Smatresk has provided a lot of support for the athletic program. But for the culture to change a dynamic person who has the ability to hire and fire people needs to be appointed. The last person to be on campus that even came close to that was Hayden Fry. In a FWST article that came out a month or two after he was hired he was described as this guy......

Fry was undertaking a cultural change at North Texas, because he rightly assessed that that was what was necessary. 

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, Huff said:

I hope the outcome has been decided by the middle of the fourth quarter so that Mason Fine can be pulled from the game to a standing ovation from those loyal fans who came to the game.

To do that, it’d need to be right after he hit some sort announced milestone and come out mid-possession.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, drex said:

The real embarrassment is for a university of 39,000 students and over 200,000 alumni to be playing in Conference USA and not a better conference.

And before that, the SBC...

Of course, all of this is due to the I-aa decision/debacle. Of those 240k people, about 15-20k show any interest in our football team on any given Saturday. That can all be credited to that ridiculous decision and even more ridiculous idea to stay that way for 12 years...it Is why we we are where we are today.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Huff said:

I hope the outcome has been decided by the middle of the fourth quarter so that Mason Fine can be pulled from the game to a standing ovation from those loyal fans who came to the game.

Can we make it middle of the third?  Unfortunately we have a plane to catch Saturday night, so we will have to leave early.  Not out of disgust or disappointment for the season.  We just won’t be able to stay for the full game I’m afraid.  So if you see a couple heading out early, it’s not because we want to.  Go Mean Green!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Well, I will be there and I certainly want NT to win.

I suspect you care too, why else would you waste time on this board.  

At this point, I don’t care about previews and predictions. They have meant very little this year. The game will be played and we will likely end up embarrassed again. 

I just feel bad for Mason and hope the coaches don’t get him another concussion or another injury. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1