Renfro decommits

Cerebus

7 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

He helped put up 42 of 49 points on the #1 team in the state with a separated shoulder..  

He didn’t get out played by anyone.

Rick

Hogeboom threw 8 TD passes.  Doesn't matter now.  I was unaware of Renfro's injury.  Honestly, I didn't realize he had a injured shoulder.  Either way, I was pissed when I wrote that and will stand by my comments.  His Mom ran to his defense every time someone made a negative comment about still taking visits and soliciting coaches and look how it turned out.  I wish him luck and hope he is happy with his decision.  We will be fine.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On a related matter. I wonder why we didn't take a run that this young man.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9803119/Roman-Fuller

We still could, even though he is verbally committed to Tulsa.  Give him the ol' "all your family and friends can easily come over and watch you play" pitch.

It's only 28 miles away.

BTW, that football shaped "D" on their helmet was introduced in 1965. Talk about tradition.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Some of your act like UNT can’t pull the an offer any time they want.  Some of you sent like once the offer is signed UNT doesn’t have the option not to renew every single year.

Just curious but do you know of any recent cases were a scholarship was pulled for other than disciplinary reasons?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Why wouldn’t his mom run to his defense? And why must we go after an 18 year old kid on social media like a jealous girlfriend?

Why must we call our team of 18 to 22 olds crap, trash, shit show, etc..?  His momma acted like we were out of place. Looks like we were right. 

• Eye Roll 2

13 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Why must we call our team of 18 to 22 olds crap, trash, shit show, etc..?  His momma acted like we were out of place. Looks like we were right. 

The difference is calling the team or position group a shit show on a fan forum is usually pretty standard practice across all 130 teams. Talking negatively and directly to a potential student athlete who has yet to sign on the dotted line is a whole different ballgame.

His momma is defending her son against what she perceives as an attack and seeing as he still lives in her home, I’m ok with that.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, UNTLifer said:

Let him go play with the Stephenville legend in Tallahassee and come in second in the ACC to Clemson for years to come.

Second in the ACC gets you a legitimate broadcast on a linear network every week and an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. 

First in CUSA gets most of their games broadcast on an obscure internet stream, likely produced by students and a bid to a bowl nobody cares about. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Hopefully that is the plan. We shouldn’t cower in fear just because we are competing with a P5 team for a recruit. We should expect to be able to do that successfully. 

It would be easier if our fans wouldn’t go Twitter stupid over this stuff. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Are we 100% sure this isn’t the final step in his grand plan to become a 4* recruit? Commit to Florida State, get 4th star, only to flip back to North Texas on signing day? Would be brilliant. 

Would be but he isn’t going to become a four star with his stats. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

Second in the ACC gets you a legitimate broadcast on a linear network every week and an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. 

First in CUSA gets most of their games broadcast on an obscure internet stream, likely produced by students and a bid to a bowl nobody cares about. 

This.

CUSA sucks donkey balls for media purposes. If this kid is being recruited by schools in the AAC and above, I guarantee you that has been said over and over to him. “Kade, you can play here at UCF/FSU and be on ESPN/ABC each week against big name opponents in front of big crowds...or go to UNT and get your game with UTEP on Facebook.”

• Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This.

CUSA sucks donkey balls for media purposes. If this kid is being recruited by schools in the AAC and above, I guarantee you that has been said over and over to him. “Kade, you can play here at UCF/FSU and be on ESPN/ABC each week against big name opponents in front of big crowds...or go to UNT and get your game with UTEP on Facebook.”

It’s not just AAC and above, it’s any school in a conference that has a relationship with ESPN. 

Knock the Tuesday games all you want, but because the MAC and Sun Belt have that relationship, when teams from those conferences make the top 25, their games will be broadcast on an ESPN linear network in a reasonable time slot on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

A top 25 team CUSA team at this point in the season is still likely to be on a web stream, while a meaningless game such as NT/Rice is on NFLN. There’s no flex in the TV schedule. 

Don’t underestimate how much this media deal hurts in recruiting. It’s a dagger. In the college football world, you have to be in bed with ESPN. Even if it’s on a Tuesday night, because eventually the conference will have a top 25 team and get flexed into Saturday games. The CUSA media deal is by far the worst in FBS.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

It’s not just AAC and above, it’s any school in a conference that has a relationship with ESPN. 

Knock the Tuesday games all you want, but because the MAC and Sun Belt have that relationship, when teams from those conferences make the top 25, their games will be broadcast on an ESPN linear network in a reasonable time slot on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

A top 25 team CUSA team at this point in the season is still likely to be on a web stream, while a meaningless game such as NT/Rice is on NFLN. There’s no flex in the TV schedule. 

Don’t underestimate how much this media deal hurts in recruiting. It’s a dagger. In the college football world, you have to be in bed with ESPN. Even if it’s on a Tuesday night, because eventually the conference will have a top 25 team and get flexed into Saturday games. The CUSA media deal is by far the worst in FBS.

I think this is pretty accurate for now.

Let's not forget, however, that ESPN is losing viewers at an astronomical rate.  I heard a rumor a couple years ago that it was in the 90K range per month.  Could be wrong?

People are moving away from the cable model into streaming, and it's watering down the power of Disney/ABC/ESPN.

I wonder if this was the mindset behind our Stadium/Facebook/etc contract, but the contract was made too soon or at the wrong time.

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2019 at 10:10 AM, SilverEagle said:

Right now the only decommits that I care about are on both sides of the line.

Folks, we are doing fine at QB.  WE NEED HELP IN THE FRIGGIN LINE.

Geez louise........🙄

Can't tell drive by fans that.  The G5 teams that can put together good talent depth at OL and DL  destory most G5 teams and routinely beat mediocre P5 teams.  You give any QB that deserves a FBS scholarship all day to throw and a dangerous running game they will put up numbers.  There always be diamonds in the rough at skill positions that are overlooked like Mason.  You can't coach up size in on the OL.  The 6' 2" 240 pound Guard with great feet is most likely never going to be all conference unless he puts on 25 lbs of muscle while retaining his quick feet.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Can't tell drive by fans that.  The G5 teams that can put together good talent depth at OL and DL  destory most G5 teams and routinely beat mediocre P5 teams.  You give any QB that deserves a FBS scholarship all day to throw and a dangerous running game they will put up numbers.  There always be diamonds in the rough at skill positions that are overlooked like Mason.  You can't coach up size in on the OL.  The 6' 2" 240 pound Guard with great feet is most likely never going to be all conference unless he puts on 25 lbs of muscle while retaining his quick feet.

...you mean like this guy?

Inducted into the North Texas Athletics Hall of Fame in 2015 ... Considered the best offensive lineman from the Mean Green's four Sun Belt championship teams, Brewster was the anchor of a line that enabled a stable of running backs set school and Sun Belt records. Although highly-rated coming out of high school, Brewster was under-sized at 230 pounds. By his senior year, Brewster was 6-2, 275, and a fixture on the offensive line. He was a starter for four years, including 50 consecutive games. Brewster helped pave the way for Kevin Galbreath to become the first back in school history to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons, and for Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas to top the nation in rushing in back-to-back seasons. With Brewster at center, the Mean Green won four-straight Sun Belt titles and made four-straight appearances in the New Orleans Bowl, Brewster was twice named to the Sun Belt All-Conference team.

Besides adding 40+ lbs of muscle, I observed that he also had a very important trait that was mentioned by Darryll Royal in one of his (many) famous quotes...

"Only angry people win football games.”

Andy Brewster was probably one of the greatest guys you would ever want to meet......except if you are wearing a different uniform and lining up in front of him. Most people described him as an "intense" player.....I always saw him as an angry player.

I'll overlook a lack of size in any OL or DL signee if that signee is a future Andy Brewster. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I think this is pretty accurate for now.

Let's not forget, however, that ESPN is losing viewers at an astronomical rate.  I heard a rumor a couple years ago that it was in the 90K range per month.  Could be wrong?

People are moving away from the cable model into streaming, and it's watering down the power of Disney/ABC/ESPN.

I wonder if this was the mindset behind our Stadium/Facebook/etc contract, but the contract was made too soon or at the wrong time.

While you are correct that people are moving from the traditional cable model to streaming services, you missed the mark on ESPN and it’s parent company Disney. ESPN+ launched 4/12/18 and already has over 3.5M monthly subscribers each paying $5.99 a month. ESPN+ negotiated an exclusive deal with UFC which has been a massive success. Also made deals with the Big12 and AAC to carry their games.

I would argue the power of Disney/ABC/ESPN has never been greater than it is right now. Streaming via the Internet has allowed Disney to cut out the cable provider and allow their customers to subscribe directly to their new streaming apps. 

Who owns the rights to Star Wars and future movies? Disney. Who own HULU? Disney. ESPN+? Disney. Oh let’s not forget the recent launch of Disney+ which is another $6.99 a month subscription and Disney forecast 60-90 Million monthly subscribers by 2024.

Streaming is changing the game but it’s the traditional cable providers who are being disrupted. Disney and ESPN are doing just fine.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-plus-adds-another-million-subscribers.html

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2