UT - Arlington (12/2/19)

CMJ

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

Our yearly grudge match against the Mavericks.  Need a win desperately.

Not that I’m looking ahead too much, but it’s a bummer OU lost to Stanford (badly) a couple days ago on a game they were favored in. Otherwise they likely would have been ranked for our matchup next week. We haven’t hosted a ranked team in like 20-25 years. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Not that I’m looking ahead too much, but it’s a bummer OU lost to Stanford (badly) a couple days ago on a game they were favored in. Otherwise they likely would have been ranked for our matchup next week. We haven’t hosted a ranked team in like 20-25 years. 

Wasn't WKU ranked once when we played them in the mid 00's?

2 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Wasn't WKU ranked once when we played them in the mid 00's?

The game was in the SBC tourney in New Orleans. 1999 against #25 Tulsa was the last top 25 opponent hosted at home. Last win was in 1971 @ #15 Louisville. Current (almost unbelievable) streak of 47 losses to ranked opponents. Last win against a ranked opponent at home was in 1970 against #11 Drake. 

• Sad 1

Looking forward to Monday.

It's hard to tell how good this UTA team is. We're 4-4 playing the 5th toughest schedule in the country. Our good win is over a tall, big Tulsa team at home, two non-Div. I's at home, and a win today over Elon on the road. We got blown out by top-15 Oregon, lost by 7 at Nevada, lost by 6 at top-10 Gonzaga (both games we had a very good chance of winning) and lost by 1 to a good Furman team yesterday. Some close games/moral victories but eventually you have to find ways to win those games when get the chance. Had forgotten Woolridge was playing for the Bulldogs. I think he scored 20 against us that night.

This is the first year with all-Ogden recruits for the most part. After Coach Cross was let go before the start of last year, the Kevin Hervey/Eric Neal led team had a lot of seniors on it, leaving us with a ton of scholarships to fill. Most of Cross' incoming recruits went to other schools and Coach Ogden had to rebuild a roster basically overnight. That roster, with 14 guys or so that had literally never played a Division I game together (a lot of junior college players, some were existing UTA redshirts), was good enough to give ya'll a close game and wind up winning 16 games, including going 12-6 in conference and a trip to the Sun Belt tourney finals before losing to a good Georgia State team.

This year's team can play really well for 10:00 and then go scoreless for 5 minutes. The offense has relied on the 3 a lot (maybe too much at times), and as well all know, the 3 can be really good or really bad for most teams on any given night. We don't really have the size inside to dominate the paint, and our 3 point shooting has been very inconsistent. Our 6'8" 240 lb. center Jabari Narcis has actually been our best 3 point shooter. On defense, we've held teams to some bad shooting nights, we rebound pretty well but don't get a lot of steals. I think our KenPom ranking is around 118 or so. It's still very much a team that's showing improvement and finding out what works best on offense. 

I think it's going to be a very close game, especially since we're at home this year.

What's the feeling in Denton about this year's UNT team? Like us, seems like ya'll have played a very tough schedule too. 

Edited by UTAmaverick
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Anyone going? I’m thinking about it. Never been to their new stadium. Did attend a game on the “stage” 

Nice place. I was there for one basketball game, and for the Mo Hooker/Jose Ramirez fight along with the artist formerly known as @NT03

It's like a much tighter, more modern Hot Springs main arena, if you still remember what that place was like. 

2 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Nice place. I was there for one basketball game, and for the Mo Hooker/Jose Ramirez fight along with the artist formerly known as @NT03

It's like a much tighter, more modern Hot Springs main arena, if you still remember what that place was like. 

Yep. I just walked in and thought, dang this is like the arena in hot springs but a bit nicer! 

• Upvote 1