NT vs Cal Bakersfield WBB

GrandGreen

NT manages to lose to a talentwise very inferior team 52-61.   Score misleading as NT went on a meaningless run in the last minutes of the game. 

Horrible shooting, porous defense and atrocious ball handling always spell disaster.  7-15 free shooting, 3-17 on threes, 18 turnovers  

This should have been an easy win.  Cal Bakerfield only victories were over Fresno Pacific and Cal Dominquez Hills.   Two teams few have ever heard of.   

NT was able to get to the basket almost at will, only usually to miss a layup or travel 

NT looks like a very poorly coached team, most of the turnovers were unforced.   NT, the obviously more athletic team, just looked disinterested.  

George had 8 points and 8 rebounds in only 17 minutes as she got into her too frequent early foul trouble.   McDowell had a double double again, with 10 points and 12 rebounds.  

Mitchell has to be a better coach than she has shown thus far this season.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I watched probably 10-15 minutes of the game. Hard to watch. We definitely appeared more athletic but had all kinds of trouble finishing layups. I will say there are Freshmen getting significant minutes on this team. So hopefully things come together a little better in the coming weeks. 

We always talk about Freshman getting meaningful playing time, but they never develop into difference makers. Who has Jalie produced that was a difference maker on a even a decent decent women’s  team?

Just now, DeepGreen said:

We always talk about Freshman getting meaningful playing time, but they never develop into difference makers. Who has Jalie produced that was a difference maker on a even a decent decent women’s  team?

To the extent this wasn't a rhetorical question: Lauren Holmes before she transferred back home. Trena Mims.  Terriel Bradley was here for 3 of her 4 college years.  Mitchell's win total has increased in each of her first four years.  We are replacing one of the most prolific scorers in program history (Bradley) and are early in the season working through that.  I think it is a little premature to doom this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

22 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

To the extent this wasn't a rhetorical question: Lauren Holmes before she transferred back home. Trena Mims.  Terriel Bradley was here for 3 of her 4 college years.  Mitchell's win total has increased in each of her first four years.  We are replacing one of the most prolific scorers in program history (Bradley) and are early in the season working through that.  I think it is a little premature to doom this season.

Bradley could score so quick and efficient. Seeing 18 unforced turnovers is just bad though. It's still kinda early, but this was a must win. Sadly they play Texas this weekend, so the slaughtering will continue unless they pick it up. 

9 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Bradley could score so quick and efficient. Seeing 18 unforced turnovers is just bad though. It's still kinda early, but this was a must win. Sadly they play Texas this weekend, so the slaughtering will continue unless they pick it up. 

Ok. It wasn’t a “must win”. I think the seat is getting warm for Jalie, BUT I’m willing to give her some extra benefit of the doubt because of who she is. OOC play has been really bad so far, but let’s see if they can get things figured out. 

• Upvote 1

I think Mitchell's coaching has to be questioned at this point.

On the other hand, I think she has proven she can recruit.

This is overall a young team and hopefully Mitchell can drive some substantial improvement in time to be a challenger in CUSA.  

Although NT has 5 players redshirting, this appears to have adequate depth.

All the freshmen who have played look to have good futures.  

• Upvote 2