Rico Bussey

13 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He knows. Just doesn't want to go public before Bussey goes public. 

If he truly doesn't know then this is complete dysfunction. 

Or he doesn't know because Bussey hasn't decided what he will do.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

My guess would have been Oklahoma State as well, but their star receiver that they expected to turn pro got injured and will return for his senior season. That may have eliminated a spot for Rico, and they would certainly have to be concerned with having too many rehabilitating receivers on scholarship.

• Upvote 1

He's good.  Guyton made the mistake of trying to jump to the pros too early.  Rico has worked hard while he's been here.  I really hope he stays, but if he finds a better opportunity, I won't blame him. I just hope it's a real opportunity versus what Guyton went for. The QB situation next year is extremely fluid and I wouldn't blame a star receiver for being concerned about it.  That being said, Aune, Bean, and Martin need to be in his ear to tell him there will be balls thrown his way early and often.

At the end of the day, I want him to be a figurehead of this team next year, but I would understand if he leaves. Especially if Seth moves to a P5 gig.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

He's good.  Guyton made the mistake of trying to jump to the pros too early.  Rico has worked hard while he's been here.  I really hope he stays, but if he finds a better opportunity, I won't blame him. I just hope it's a real opportunity versus what Guyton went for. The QB situation next year is extremely fluid and I wouldn't blame a star receiver for being concerned about it.  That being said, Aune, Bean, and Martin need to be in his ear to tell him there will be balls thrown his way early and often.

At the end of the day, I want him to be a figurehead of this team next year, but I would understand if he leaves. Especially if Seth moves to a P5 gig.

This line of thinking wears me out. A longer resume doesn’t always equal a better resume. I don’t see how JG staying for a redshirt senior season when he already had his degree improves his resume. It could be argued that Mason Fine’s resume actually got worse with this season on it. This isn’t the minor leagues of NFL football and these kids still have to go to class and pass. I imagine JG was sick of taking classes and ready to move on with his life with a college degree in hand. Give the kid a break. Last year was his best opportunity with all the Kyler Murray hype and he tried to capitalize on it. Turns out, he just didn’t get it done. NFL speed sure, but missing some things that Tommy Mainord couldn’t teach him in 10 seasons.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, peanuts104 said:

At the end of the day, I want him to be a figurehead of this team next year, but I would understand if he leaves.

This is it.  The injury sucked. I want him to recover and be a boss for UNT next year. But he has to do what he thinks is best for him. I get it. He’ll have his degree from UNT.  Glory to the green and white.  GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Question for those that know the answer:  When a college football player needs a surgery like this, what kind of out-of-pocket expenses can they expect?  Does the university pick up the cost?  Is it dependent at all on the player’s health insurance?  I have no idea.  For all I know, Bussey has money just falling out of his pockets and this is a non-issue, but trying to think of reasons why someone would put this off. 

This seems like so long ago; such high hopes in the young season:

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Open letter to Rico Bussey:

Rico,
I’m not sure how the future will play out but we, the fans, would love for you to return next season. Losing you to injury made it abundantly clear the impact you make on this team and how much we need you. If you stay, you have an opportunity to rehab in place you know well. Your voice could guide the young WR corp in their growth and with your talent, we could help ease the transition to a new QB. An opportunity is at hand for us to put this shitty season behind us and right the wrongs of 2019. So I ask you to leave your legacy here in 2020, ball out, and let’s prepare you for the NFL Draft in 2021!

Rico, you’re a part of the Mean Green family now. We love you, wish you a speedy recovery, and we’ll always support you, no matter what.

Unless you transfer to SMU. Then you’ll be dead to us. Please don’t do that. 

Respectfully,

C Rod

Yeah, if you go to SMU I'll just wish you good luck like they do on Broadway........break a leg!

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

On 11/26/2019 at 11:32 PM, peanuts104 said:

He's good.  Guyton made the mistake of trying to jump to the pros too early.  Rico has worked hard while he's been here.  I really hope he stays, but if he finds a better opportunity, I won't blame him. I just hope it's a real opportunity versus what Guyton went for. 

It depends on what Guyton's expectations were, IMO. I mean, he's currently making $8k a week in the NFL. Without knowing what his goals and motivations are, it's hard for me to say he would have ended up any different or better with another season here. 

• Upvote 1