State of the Program

TheReal_jayD

Just now, Jessica M Hall said:

I wouldn’t be surprised of that either, but coming off of an injury, especially an ACL reconstructive surgery - a good 6-months recovery (speaking from experience - thank you UNT coed intramural soccer) - I would think it would be challenging to slide your way into a P5 school as a grad transfer post-injury. But what do I know. 😄 Hopefully he gets some guidance.

He was (and maybe still now) getting a lot of attention by ESPN and others. I just hope he doesn't go into the draft. I know that sounds silly, but if he is trying to convince people he didn't tear it you never know what he'll do😂

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheReal_jayD said:

My money is draft or XFL. I don't think he will be at North Texas or another school

Let's say he goes into the draft and gets drafted. Does he have a roll on a team, or will he be just a PS guy.

In my opinion, I feel like he should just leave and go to a P5 school and develop a bit more and get drafted higher. 

It is almost impossible to tell as of right now

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

My money is draft or XFL. I don't think he will be at North Texas or another school

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Let's say he goes into the draft and gets drafted. Does he have a roll on a team, or will he be just a PS guy.

In my opinion, I feel like he should just leave and go to a P5 school and develop a bit more and get drafted higher. 

It is almost impossible to tell as of right now

Just my opinion, and it may be an unpopular one, I think anything higher than college level ball after he finishes school is a bold decision ... for next year. I’m specifically judging this based on the fact that he hasn’t even had surgery yet. 

Agree it is probably safe to assume it’s almost impossible to tell as of right now, I’m just surprised surgery hasn’t happened yet, regardless of any decision he chooses to make. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jessica M Hall said:

Just my opinion, and it may be an unpopular one, I think anything higher than college level ball after he finishes school is a bold decision. Especially if he hasn’t even had surgery yet. 

Agree it is probably safe to assume it’s almost impossible to tell as of right now, I’m just shocked surgery hasn’t happened yet, regardless of any decision he chooses to make. 🤷‍♀️

I'm pretty sure he's had surgery

Pulling the red shirt was a big mistake. If we win the bowl game Morris would of been MVP! We would of been good with him as the starter.  Seth’s first 3 years the gripe was he can’t recruit, that was proven wrong with the last class and maybe a better class this year. (Please hold together) I would like to see freshman lineman on both sides red shirted. With the SMU success you have to hammer transfers and I would not sign any JUCO s that can’t be here early because of grades! I think Austin needs to get in a QB camp and win the starting job. He can definitely throw the best deep ball, is very athletic with nice size. GMG 

• Upvote 1

I have a different view at least on one point from @TheReal_jayD & @BillySee58. I think the decision to pull Masons redshirt and go Juco early led to a quick turnaround, disproving the one thing everyone on here and most others believed, that you can't win here.

This I believe has led to the improved recruiting (along with changes/additions made in that department). All of this was smart.

The problem for this year was that early approach caught up to us, and there wasn't enough cover for it not too. Maybe it always had too, or maybe not hard to know.

• Upvote 2

All I can say about Rico is, at least he is still here finishing NT his degree. JG also finished his degree. I would rather Rico try to catch on in the XFL or NFL than go to a P5 school because at that point what affiliation does he have with North Texas? Most of the time when they talk about Trey Quinn on NFL broadcasts they mention SMU but only rarely do they mention LSU. If he were to go P5, you can forget Rico ever attaching himself to us in the future.

Just now, MeanGreenHoops said:

I have a different view at least on one point from @TheReal_jayD & @BillySee58. I think the decision to pull Masons redshirt and go Juco early led to a quick turnaround, disproving the one thing everyone on here and most others believed, that you can't win here.

This I believe has led to the improved recruiting (along with changes/additions made in that department). All of this was smart.

The problem for this year was that early approach caught up to us, and there wasn't enough cover for it not too. Maybe it always had too, or maybe not hard to know.

Maybe the person who made the decisions to put early success above longer term stability didn’t anticipate on still being here..

SphericalQuarrelsomeHorsefly-size_restri

tenor.gif?itemid=14624745

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

The same flaws in the first classes are still present in the current classes. Example, Jaleon Darden is a really good player, really good. But his skillset and contributions can be matched by other kids. He's a dime a dozen player that we have been landing more and more of, hence the climb on the recruiting ladder. Our defeciencies are still present and those have not really been addressed. We need better DL and OL. We need a dude on defense at ILB. Address these problems then the team will improve and do it any way necessary, grad transfers, transfers, JUCO is my recommendation because this staff can't recruit those positions out of HS. And don't give me that crap that these are hard positions to recruit. Though they may be, other G5 programs manage. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Pulling the red shirt was a big mistake. If we win the bowl game Morris would of been MVP! We would of been good with him as the starter.  Seth’s first 3 years the gripe was he can’t recruit, that was proven wrong with the last class and maybe a better class this year. (Please hold together) I would like to see freshman lineman on both sides red shirted. With the SMU success you have to hammer transfers and I would not sign any JUCO s that can’t be here early because of grades! I think Austin needs to get in a QB camp and win the starting job. He can definitely throw the best deep ball, is very athletic with nice size. GMG 

Talk about hind sight. Mason was in the right place at the right time. Who is to say that if the he had been red shirted that the Mason we have all come to see would have ever happened? Perhaps someone else steps up, or another transfer might have been brought in. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Talk about hind sight. Mason was in the right place at the right time. Who is to say that if the he had been red shirted that the Mason we have all come to see would have ever happened? Perhaps someone else steps up, or another transfer might have been brought in. 

167lb qb should be redshirted!

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Is this season a disappointment? Absolutely

Should we put are pitchforks up for now? Absolutely

The question you have to ask your self. Is this program in a better shape today that December 5th, 2015? With out a doubt in mind. We have a legit Division one roster. We didnt have anything close to that in 2015. Do we have some holes? of course we do. Seth biggest mistake in my opinion was burning Mason Fine red shirt freshman year and making a bowl game. It gave staff a false hope and burnt Mason red shirt before he or the team was ready. The 2016 team had zero business going to a bowl. Yes Seth lost to much better teams in 17 and 18 in Troy and Utah State.  I believe the offense will get it figure out. or RB and WR are p5 quality with even more coming in. We have some exciting QB prospects coming up to battle for the job. I believe we are going to fill the Line with JUCO and Transfers to reinforce the line. I am not ready to give up on boodie at all just yet. You dont go to leading the FCS in offense to forgetting how to be an OC. I think him and Seth are both bright minds and will figure it out.

Now defense is a different cookie. I believe Reff will be gone. Should he have been gone sooner? Possibly but that is not the way Seth operates. Our recruiting struggled with Skenfelt.. We knew that, but it took Seth a little longer to figure it out and move on to Luke. Now we are on the verge of signing back to back top classes. I believe a new DC is going to help advance this program. Seth will have the budget to hire a quality candidate.

I don't think we should give up on Seth or Wren just yet. I believe we are trending the right direction. This year was a set back. We had record setting injures and the ball didn't bounce our way much. I believe this year will be the exception looking back. If we can hang on to this class. They are still in on some very talented names. Stay strong.... Support your Team.. GO MEAN GREEN.. go out and celebrate this senior class. They laid the groundwork

I have not seen our past two recruiting classes rated at the "top" of anything but I may have overlooked something. Regarding Bussey, Fine is gone and he should be also. I would think that missing this season was a big step backward towards his NFL aspirations and that a year with a P-5 program would improve his chances.

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The same flaws in the first classes are still present in the current classes. Example, Jaleon Darden is a really good player, really good. But his skillset and contributions can be matched by other kids. He's a dime a dozen player that we have been landing more and more of, hence the climb on the recruiting ladder. Our defeciencies are still present and those have not really been addressed. We need better DL and OL. We need a dude on defense at ILB. Address these problems then the team will improve and do it any way necessary, grad transfers, transfers, JUCO is my recommendation because this staff can't recruit those positions out of HS. And don't give me that crap that these are hard positions to recruit. Though they may be, other G5 programs manage. 

orly.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I don’t think our 5-8 season really did much in the way of proving you could win here. Certainly didn’t have that effect in recruiting at that point. I also don’t know that Fine as a true freshman was a substantial upgrade over Morris. Morris did not play well against SMU but he played pretty similarly to Fine that year in the rest of his opportunities.

As for the JUCOs, I believe we only brought in 3 jucos who started or even played significant snaps on that 2016 team. TJ Henson, EJ Ejiya, and Eric Jenkins. Ejiya was a 3-year guy, so that type of JUCO signing I’m not as worried about when building up a roster’s scholarship count. I think we could have been just as competitive that year without going so JUCO heavy. 

I think it’s pretty likely we would not have been as good in 2017 without all those jucos, but I still think there is plenty to be said about what our 2018 and 2019 rosters would have looked like with another 15 or so more 3rd and 4th year guys 

• Upvote 2

Just now, BillySee58 said:

I don’t think our 5-8 season really did much in the way of proving you could win here. Certainly didn’t have that effect in recruiting at that point. I also don’t know that Fine as a true freshman was a substantial upgrade over Morris. Morris did not play well against SMU but he played pretty similarly to Fine that year in the rest of his opportunities.

As for the JUCOs, I believe we only brought in 3 jucos who started or even played significant snaps on that 2016 team. TJ Henson, EJ Ejiya, and Eric Jenkins. Ejiya was a 3-year guy, so that type of JUCO signing I’m not as worried about when building up a roster’s scholarship count. I think we could have been just as competitive that year without going so JUCO heavy. 

I think it’s pretty likely we would not have been as good in 2017 without all those jucos, but I still think there is plenty to be said about what our 2018 and 2019 rosters would have looked like with another 15 or so more 3rd and 4th year guys 

Don't forget about Wheeler.  He was a major contributor for his 2 seasons.

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If we can't replace 50 for 500 then we're in trouble. 

His stats are slightly inflated this year bc busseys injury. 

Jayaire Shorter's stats are inflated this year bc Bussey's injury,  not a slot receiver's stats.   
Darden is a special player.   
And when considering this aint a 21 or 12 personnel-heavy offense, there are more WRs to throw to.   To have a 650yd slot receiver with 11TDs is pretty awesome.    He's not "replaceable" by just anyone.

• Eye Roll 1