AFTER 4 SEASONS

wardly

On 11/24/2019 at 4:29 PM, wardly said:

After our next loss to UAB, we will be 27 &24 in Littrell's four season's. During his tenure we  have won the WEST DIVISION once, no bowl games, an a single signature win against Arkansas, which looked good at the time.We have made Littrell the highest  paid coach in CUSA, and in the middle the most disastrous season I have witnessed since my freshman year of 1961, extended his contract.We continue to be ranked low in recruiting and if not should be based upon this years performance. My question is, after four seasons are we better off on a GO FORWARD BASIS? Just asking, so please don't get your panties in a wad.

IMHO, the state of the football *program* is much better off on a go forward basis than it was four years ago.  Sure this season has been a disappointment based on all the pre-season hype, but it's just one season.  We are developing it, but we don't yet have the depth to sustain losses at key positions.  The injury bug hit us harder than we expected.  I don't know why some complain that UNT has the highest paid coach in C-USA.  To me this is a major positive.  It signals to everyone that we have made a significant commitment to the program and that we will pay for talent.  I've followed North Texas for a long time and we've never invested in the program like we do now.  We have great facilities, a brand new indoor practice facility and leadership that's seems willing to ride out the rough patches that are bound to happen for programs like ours.  Don't lose faith. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Feels like an overstatement/simplification. Yeah, he is turning the ship. But I don't think it's a turn around or in the right direction. It's not hitting rocks or running aground, but the ship steering still needs some work. A lot of other coaches can do what he did in hindsight.

Like who?

Just now, keith said:

IMHO, the state of the football *program* is much better off on a go forward basis than it was four years ago.  Sure this season has been a disappointment based on all the pre-season hype, but it's just one season.  We are developing it, but we don't yet have the depth to sustain losses at key positions.  The injury bug hit us harder than we expected.  I don't know why some complain that UNT has the highest paid coach in C-USA.  To me this is a major positive.  It signals to everyone that we have made a significant commitment to the program and that we will pay for talent.  I've followed North Texas for a long time and we've never invested in the program like we do now.  We have great facilities, a brand new indoor practice facility and leadership that's seems willing to ride out the rough patches that are bound to happen for programs like ours.  Don't loose faith. 

This 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, untbowler said:

only 2 successful seasons, Season 1 was 5-8, backed in to a bowl due to academics, losing to a team they beat in regular season, all the whole shitting the bed against a bad UTEP that would have made team bowl eligible straight up.

giphy.gif

Keep up...   Season 1 directly followed what?    Season 1 was an incredible success.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Like who?

Skip Holtz(54-36)? Bill Clark (44-21)? Even Lane Kiffin(59-34)? All doing better fixing programs that struggled, and cheaper too! Doing more with less.

Or let's look at nearby neighbor SMU with Sonny Dykes. Still newish, but not a bad record so far.

It's not a head scratcher that cheaper or newer coaches are doing better than ours (27-24)

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

19 hours ago, wardly said:

After our next loss to UAB, we will be 27 &24 in Littrell's four season's. During his tenure we  have won the WEST DIVISION once, no bowl games, an a single signature win against Arkansas, which looked good at the time.We have made Littrell the highest  paid coach in CUSA, and in the middle the most disastrous season I have witnessed since my freshman year of 1961, extended his contract.We continue to be ranked low in recruiting and if not should be based upon this years performance. My question is, after four seasons are we better off on a GO FORWARD BASIS? Just asking, so please don't get your panties in a wad.

The worst thing about this is it's almost the best performance of an NT HC (top3) over the past 80 yrs.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I can’t believe some people are pushing for Briles to come here. F that.

F A WHOLE LOT OF THAT.

Baby Briles.  Not Daddy.
I know he's "...you like white women?..." guy, but as long as Littrell (whom I believe is doing this the right way) is in charge, that crap won't fly.  He can just bring that sweet, sweet tempo offense with him and fall in line.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Baby Briles.  Not Daddy.
I know he's "...you like white women?..." guy, but as long as Littrell (whom I believe is doing this the right way) is in charge, that crap won't fly.  He can just bring that sweet, sweet tempo offense with him and fall in line.

Baby Briles knew what was going on.  He was dad's chosen successor.  Everyone at Baylor knew that.  He wasn't the person in charge, but he knew what was happening. 

No Thanks.

Just now, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Why would you think that?  So they're a worse team than Rice?  Worse than Charlotte?  Those were "freebie" games according to the sunshine pumpers on this board.

I want some of what you're smoking.

We absolutely should have beaten Charlotte. We basically gave the game away toward the end. But I think people underrate Charlotte. They just beat a pretty good Marshall team too. Worse than they beat us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, untbowler said:

only 2 successful seasons, Season 1 was 5-8, backed in to a bowl due to academics, losing to a team they beat in regular season, all the whole shitting the bed against a bad UTEP that would have made team bowl eligible straight up.

I understand having a “win now” attitude but my goodness. He took over a 1-win disaster of a team and won 5 games. 

Also, why do so many have such a negative view or our bowl game that year? Because we only had 5 wins? So what? God forbid the student-athletes get a reward for their work in the classroom when not enough teams win 6 games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I understand having a “win now” attitude but my goodness. He took over a 1-win disaster of a team and won 5 games. 

Also, why do so many have such a negative view or our bowl game that year? Because we only had 5 wins? So what? God forbid the student-athletes get a reward for their work in the classroom when not enough teams win 6 games. 

Because it's a bogus resume bullet point for a fledgling HC that could've secured a bowl invite by beating a 3-win UTEP team. Instead, got his doors blown off by said 3-win team. That's why.  

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Because it's a bogus resume bullet point for a fledgling HC that could've secured a bowl invite by beating a 3-win UTEP team. Instead, got his doors blown off by said 3-win team. That's why.  

We were a rebuilding team ourselves, and we got torched by a dude who is currently killing it in the NFL (who happened to do that to just about everyone while at UTEP).     

"Bogus resume bullet point"?   I'm pretty sure you were around here in 2015.    So you already know what the team did (immediate buy-in to coaching & performance) in 2016 was nothing short of amazing.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Why would you think that?  So they're a worse team than Rice?  Worse than Charlotte?  Those were "freebie" games according to the sunshine pumpers on this board.

Then you want some of what Vegas is smoking too.  Check the line.  I can’t explain it, but last I checked they are giving UAB 3 points in that game. 

51 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We were a rebuilding team ourselves, and we got torched by a dude who is currently killing it in the NFL (who happened to do that to just about everyone while at UTEP).     

"Bogus resume bullet point"?   I'm pretty sure you were around here in 2015.    So you already know what the team did (immediate buy-in to coaching & performance) in 2016 was nothing short of amazing.   

You're never as good or as bad as your record indicates. That's fact. Yeah...we went 1-11. We were not good. That is clear. But we were not a 1-11 team in terms of talent. Most teams aren't, unless they're just absolutely awful. 

Some of 2015's losses...

31-13

38-24

30-13

24-0

20-17

Those just aren't awful losses, though losses nonetheless. These are games that can be turned around by a QB not named Andrew McNulty and Josh Greer. 

Some of the 2016 losses...

34-21

30-13

31-17

38-31

32-0

Very similar in point differential (though I could've documented blowout losses in both years), but we pulled away with 5 wins instead of 1. Those 5 teams had a combined losing record. What he did was plug in a QB and hope. Defensively we were just slightly better than the previous year, even in a 1-11 campaign. 

To call it some miracle is a stretch. A noted improvement, sure. Miracle, nah. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You're never as good or as bad as your record indicates. That's fact. Yeah...we went 1-11. We were not good. That is clear. But we were not a 1-11 team in terms of talent. Most teams aren't, unless they're just absolutely awful. 

Some of 2015's losses...

31-13

38-24

30-13

24-0

20-17

Those just aren't awful losses, though losses nonetheless. These are games that can be turned around by a QB not named Andrew McNulty and Josh Greer. 

Some of the 2016 losses...

34-21

30-13

31-17

38-31

32-0

Very similar in point differential (though I could've documented blowout losses in both years), but we pulled away with 5 wins instead of 1. Those 5 teams had a combined losing record. What he did was plug in a QB and hope. Defensively we were just slightly better than the previous year, even in a 1-11 campaign. 

To call it some miracle is a stretch. A noted improvement, sure. Miracle, nah. 

Funny you left 66-7 off of the 2015 losses. LOL. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

First off, we will beat UAB.  I will leave the rest of this to you all.

I could see us beating them. It just looks like one of those games. 

Prediction: if we DO beat them. It will be because we threw caution to the wind. I predict Mason Fine is gonna throw until his arm falls off. After we’ll say “why didn’t they play with this mentality all year?!”

UAB has to be concerned about this game. They’re playing a team with nothing to lose. 

Or.....we’ll get down early and quit. 

all options are in the table. 

3 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

We are probably better than Rice, despite the loss.

Just like we we’re probably better than 2018 ODU, despite the loss.

Shit hits the fan sometimes.

I don’t share his optimism, but I admire it.  My heart hurts for this team, as I have zero idea where they are mentally right now.  Will they be like an injured dog and respond ferociously? Or will they continue this slump?

Honestly, I am thinking they will fight like warriors, but we still dont’ have the necessary weapons (DL) to get a win.

• Upvote 1