Mason Fine post-Rice game comments

Harry

1 minute ago, RBP79 said:

Yea ....feel bad for him. Now he gets to play UAB which beat LaTech today. UAB has the makings of another disaster for NT.....4-8 season is now a REAL possibility.

We ain’t beating UAB—we aren’t good and they are better than us.

If you are terribad, or FCS, we can then get the chance to win if the game is in Denton. Thank God for the UT-spares and MUTS...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

26 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Who cares anymore. We suck and it’s a waste of time showing up next week for a meaningless game.

Yep we suck. But in my opinion it's not on Mason Fine's shoulders. I will be there with several others to pay tribute to this year's Senior class. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Yea ....feel bad for him. Now he gets to play UAB which beat LaTech today. UAB has the makings of another disaster for NT.....4-8 season is now a REAL possibility.

I'll be there ... drinking heavily while UAB bends us over a barrel  ... but you can't ask for a better student-athlete and ambassador that Mason, so will be there for him and Hambone.

Will be tough watching half-ass Harvey jog behind UAB's WR corps all game, but it is what it is   😐

• Upvote 7

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

Yeah man, that excuse expired a while ago....

Nope. We’ve had record setting attendance now for several years. Fans have been coming out better than ever...we keep playing horribly in front of them every time we do, but still. Hell even today there are as many or more UNT fans in the stands at an away game.

Sadly, we do have to overcome the “UNT always sucks” historical component. It’s always there under the surface, even when things start looking up like they have the past couple of years. This year is going to be a huge setback in the positive momentum and reinforce that narrative. I’ve already been getting blown up in multiple group texts from more casual UNT friends/fans that are doing the “we suck again...what a joke” thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

And it is why we are where we are. 

Is that really true?  Why does whether we show up or not affect how good the team is?  I understand the crowd can have some effect on the game but if it's that significant then nobody would ever win a road game.

The program has more money, better facilities, etc. than ever in the history of NT football.  If how good the team is depends on the attitude of the fans, then that needs to be addressed by the guy making the highest salary of his peers and/or his management.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

No. Previous UNT Administrations neglect of the program (and in quite a few areas of the University as a whole) is why we are where we are. Our fans are not the problem. 

Yes, this is what put us permanently behind the curve.  Many of us thought that if we finally got the support, facilities, etc. we'd be able to get out of the ditch, but that may never happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yes, this is what put us permanently behind the curve.  Many of us thought that if we finally got the support, facilities, etc. we'd be able to get out of the ditch, but that may never happen.

To be clear, I do think that the program as a whole is still moving in a positive direction for all the reasons you listed and more. 

I just don’t believe fans should be be scapegoated as a major reason the program struggles. UNT fans have been given very little the cling on to for huge swaths of the programs history. A couple of good years doesn’t magically change all that basically overnight. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

Is that really true?  Why does whether we show up or not affect how good the team is?  I understand the crowd can have some effect on the game but if it's that significant then nobody would ever win a road game.

The program has more money, better facilities, etc. than ever in the history of NT football.  If how good the team is depends on the attitude of the fans, then that needs to be addressed by the guy making the highest salary of his peers and/or his management.

You're thinking of the fan support making an impact on the current game/season, which it does, slightly.  More so at home.  I think the support/attendance that most speak of has an greater impact on the teams down the road.  When recruits decide on a school to play for, support and attendance plays a big part in the success of a team.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

A majority of our fan base summed up in two sentences.

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

And it is why we are where we are. 

Chicken or the egg. I’ve heard it dozens of times, “we won’t be good until we have a consistent fan base” and the counter “ we won’t have a consistent fanbase until we are good”.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

You're thinking of the fan support making an impact on the current game/season, which it does, slightly.  More so at home.  I think the support/attendance that most speak of has an greater impact on the teams down the road.  When recruits decide on a school to play for, support and attendance plays a big part in the success of a team.  

SMU hasn’t drawn dick since the death penalty and Sonny Dykes had them as a top 25 before their loss tonight. 

Utah State averaged a full 5,000 fans less per game than us last year and still kicked the ever-loving shit out of us at the bowl game.

At some point every person gets sick of disappointment. Most here have been pouring ourselves into the program for years, both with our feet and our wallets.

We’ve watched a 7OT game end with us scoring only 25 points and barely dispatching a team that would end the season 0-12. We’ve watched our team score 62 points and still lose. We’ve watched a UNT qb throw for 600 yards and still lose. We’ve also watched a pair of UNT qbs go 3 of 17 for 15 yards with 4 interceptions (1 returned for touchdown). We’ve watched the worst FBS defeat to a FCS school in history. We’ve watched the ass kickings at the hands of FAU, USU, and Troy over the last few years. I think you can give the fans a break if they want to find something else to do with their time at this point in the season, it seems like this coaching staff and some players have already.

• Thanks 6
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2