Mason Fine post-Rice game comments

Harry

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Chicken or the egg. I’ve heard it dozens of times, “we won’t be good until we have a consistent fan base” and the counter “ we won’t have a consistent fanbase until we are good”.

I wish as a fan base we would just end the debate and make a conscious effort to be chickens. It’s sort of like preaching to the choir on this board though. If you’re here, You’re probably closer to die hard than casual fan. 

For instance I have a group text with 4 close friends from college. They have varying levels of NT fandom but all were super into the last couple of years. All but one essentially bailed before September was over. 

Our fans are generally slow to buy in and quick to bail. That’s not exactly ideal. 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Nope. We’ve had record setting attendance now for several years. Fans have been coming out better than ever...we keep playing horribly in front of them every time we do, but still. Hell even today there are as many or more UNT fans in the stands at an away game.

Sadly, we do have to overcome the “UNT always sucks” historical component. It’s always there under the surface, even when things start looking up like they have the past couple of years. This year is going to be a huge setback in the positive momentum and reinforce that narrative. I’ve already been getting blown up in multiple group texts from more casual UNT friends/fans that are doing the “we suck again...what a joke” thing.

Oh yeah you can have record attendance, but in the overall mindset of people in Denton is "UNT sucks and they only have Mason Fine"

I hear that so many times, and it's because of our fans. Biggest fair weather fans besides UH

I would say UNT students are the worst

Don't blame the fans for lack of support. I've been to 4 of 6 ( - UNC-C and Cali) a way games and the only school that comes close to our attendance was USM and it was Homecoming. To lazy to pull up attendance stats but I know what I saw. We had a great turnout yesterday!

Once again...in DFW you gotta win to draw interest and attendance. There is lots of competition for that sports entertainment dollar.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Don't blame the fans for lack of support. I've been to 4 of 6 ( - UNC-C and Cali) a way games and the only school that comes close to our attendance was USM and it was Homecoming. To lazy to pull up attendance stats but I know what I saw. We had a great turnout yesterday!

Once again...in DFW you gotta win to draw interest and attendance. There is lots of competition for that sports entertainment dollar.

It sure looked like we outnumbered Rice fans. For a 4-6 team, thats good

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2

Rough, and heart breaking.  Feel absolutely awful for him.  It's certainly not how he thought his year would turn out.  People should show up not only to support the team and thank the seniors like Mason, but it's a big pat on the the back to all of those player's parents too. Showing up, unconditionally is how WE thank their mom's and dad's for raising great kids that represent, not just the team, but the school and this program. (People have to remember, it's ALL THREE of those things, not just 100 guys in shoulder pads...)

This has been a bad year...We might very well get killed on Saturday....But come anyway, see the band, shake your friends hand for the last time until next season, load up on hot dogs.. Go into with a positive attitude.

Don't do math calculations in your head based on a record or how you "hate the DC," to justify thanking/supporting someone.  I'm older now, been going to games for 30 years +.   When I see those teams every year, and I can recognize parents in the stands, I don't think of the players as "their kids"....They're OUR kids....  You wouldnt/shouldnt bail on YOUR kid to "send a messege", right?

Shut up, and SHOW UP. 

Edited by trud1966
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

A youngster who always did his homework, always arrived for practice early, lifted more than his share of the load, answered every question with a, "Sir",  always stayed late, always encouraged others around him, took full responsibility for team/coaching issues, picked himself up from more sacks than we can remember, and did this year after year. Every Day. He made us proud to be North Texas. Every Day. I cannot imagine the pain that he is feeling in this video that Harry posted. And, he still insists on taking responsibility.
Michael Jordan, the famous basketball player said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
This young man, Mason Fine, is the best of us and I will be forever grateful to the Gods that led him to our beloved university. Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greenrex said:

A youngster who always did his homework, always arrived for practice early, lifted more than his share of the load, answered every question with a, "Sir",  always stayed late, always encouraged others around him, took full responsibility for team/coaching issues, picked himself up from more sacks than we can remember, and did this year after year. Every Day. He made us proud to be North Texas. Every Day. I cannot imagine the pain that he is feeling in this video that Harry posted. And, he still insists on taking responsibility.
Michael Jordan, the famous basketball player said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
This young man, Mason Fine, is the best of us and I will be forever grateful to the Gods that led him to our beloved university. Go Mean Green.

Apparently, Mason was crying before the video. That makes me even more sad. 

He is the best leader we've ever had

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

13 hours ago, Felozano said:

He loves UNT football, he praises his teammates, and he takes ownership for the teams shortcomings.  He seems like a great young man. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Hoping the team/coaches can step up and get him and the rest of the seniors a victory next Saturday. GMG!

Beat post I've seen on here in a long time. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 1:41 AM, Cr1028 said:

SMU hasn’t drawn dick since the death penalty and Sonny Dykes had them as a top 25 before their loss tonight. 

Utah State averaged a full 5,000 fans less per game than us last year and still kicked the ever-loving shit out of us at the bowl game.

At some point every person gets sick of disappointment. Most here have been pouring ourselves into the program for years, both with our feet and our wallets.

We’ve watched a 7OT game end with us scoring only 25 points and barely dispatching a team that would end the season 0-12. We’ve watched our team score 62 points and still lose. We’ve watched a UNT qb throw for 600 yards and still lose. We’ve also watched a pair of UNT qbs go 3 of 17 for 15 yards with 4 interceptions (1 returned for touchdown). We’ve watched the worst FBS defeat to a FCS school in history. We’ve watched the ass kickings at the hands of FAU, USU, and Troy over the last few years. I think you can give the fans a break if they want to find something else to do with their time at this point in the season, it seems like this coaching staff and some players have already.

Every team has a group of so-called fans that only come out during the winning times.   Plus a group of fans that will be there no matter what the record is. 

Teams need and depend on both types of fans. 

A lot of memories in your comments, I personally am glad I got to view most of those low-lights of the program.  Not the Portland State game, however, that was an all time low.

Coaches and players do not give up on games. Coaches' livelihood depends on winning.  Players play to win, no matter what.  

This is one of the most disappointing season ever for NT.   They have had a lot worse teams, but this was supposed to be a great year. 

I suspect if the weather is descent, the crowd will be too.  No one is forcing any spectator to go to the game.  

I won't be burning the last of the season's tickets or wearing a paper sack at the game.  I will be there and hoping for a season closing win.  

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Every team has a group of so-called fans that only come out during the winning times.   Plus a group of fans that will be there no matter what the record is. 

Teams need and depend on both types of fans. 

A lot of memories in your comments, I personally am glad I got to view most of those low-lights of the program.  Not the Portland State game, however, that was an all time low.

Coaches and players do not give up on games. Coaches' livelihood depends on winning.  Players play to win, no matter what.  

This is one of the most disappointing season ever for NT.   They have had a lot worse teams, but this was supposed to be a great year. 

I suspect if the weather is descent, the crowd will be too.  No one is forcing any spectator to go to the game.  

I won't be burning the last of the season's tickets or wearing a paper sack at the game.  I will be there and hoping for a season closing win.  

Yes! I think we have more so called fans then true all out fans