Anyone Ready To Go The Defense-First Philosophy Yet?

FirefightnRick

1 minute ago, Big Z said:

It was nice to get that bowl win against a weak UNLV team with 500 fans 

This is what I was thinking. That one year of DM’s five was fun. But it was just the third program I have been a part of that was incredibly frustrating. 
Using the Rice game - where are D was pretty good- as a reason for why we need to put all our best players on D seems a bit of a weaker argument. It was still just as frustrating to watch when we loaded up our D with the best players. I don’t think this should be our goal at all. We just need to find the best players for the best places. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

....or are we still giddy about all those fantastic offensive stats?

Are we ready to get back to being the home of Mean Green defense,...or are we still hanging on to Tee’ing It High and all that bullshit?

Rick

Just a reminder for everyone out there. The person who coined the nickname "Mean Green" was originally inspired by a very determined and somewhat ferocious DEFENSE. A defense, except for one person, full of nobodies.

You know, every time you turn around someone is profiling a type of criminal. It's turned into quite a science.

Someone should learn how to profile up and coming coaches who have a great potential to become this guy....

image.jpeg.c2b566e4c188f8088d199bd4ad8d2fc4.jpeg

...or this guy....

image.jpeg.0f04371ae284c6c0f3b42305308d0d3e.jpeg

or this guy

image.jpeg.5fdbe58fcea33b69c5458d7bbf5e4bd3.jpeg

or this guy,,,,,

Corky Nelson

I would love to be involved in the research. Mainly I would love to take a stack of previous applications of coaches who said, either before or after an interview,  "on second thought no thank you" and get them on the phone. I'd pay my own way up to Denton and do it  "at no extra charge".

We are never going to get better as a program until we really hear some honest assessments, negative as well as positive, from people not wearing green tinted glasses or drinking the green koolaid.  

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I love a team with a great defense, but in this day and age you have a to have a good offense as well.  I know it is hard to recruit DL and OL because the p-5 schools gobble them up.  Why a good player would want to sit on the bench behind two outstanding players gets me.  If you have talent and are on the OL and DL you will get noticed where ever you play.  The key is getting on the field to display your talents.  

Every team we played knew if they got to Mason and had a chance to win. 

I think going defense first philosophy may not generate the desired results. But going full retard into the air raid philosophy has proven time and time again to diminsh the effectiveness of a defense. And we haven't even went full tilt air raid in play calling, but looking at our defensive statistics you wouldn't know any better. 

One thing is certain however, coaches from the air raid tree do not put a premium on defense or OL. OL in air raid systems/philosophies have slender, taller bodies for they are pass first players that are, given the system, asked to pass pro for 2 seconds or less. And defense is just out there because you can't be on offense twice. 

Points have to be scored. But defense also has to be played. 

I personally think, going by the evidence we have, Seth Littrell is in over his head. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

....or are we still giddy about all those fantastic offensive stats?

Are we ready to get back to being the home of Mean Green defense,...or are we still hanging on to Tee’ing It High and all that bullshit?

Rick

If we actually had an offense this year, we could discuss whether the defense should have been given more attention. But in too many games NT had barely an offense, Rice is just the most obvious example. And this is not on the players, they were mostly the same as last year, when NT did have an offense. This is on SL and Reeder. Mostly on SL. Reeder was his first complete miss in terms of assistants.

• Upvote 1

Just now, outoftown said:

If we actually had an offense this year, we could discuss whether the defense should have been given more attention. But in too many games NT had barely an offense, Rice is just the most obvious example. And this is not on the players, they were mostly the same as last year, when NT did have an offense. This is on SL and Reeder. Mostly on SL. Reeder was his first complete miss in terms of assistants.

This! 

It seemed like Mason wasn't as comfortable with Reeder as we was with Harrell. Which I understand, but the OL is just coaching and discipline. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Yeah, sorry. This whole "you can only have one, pick" philosophy between offense and defense is just a ridiculous line of argument.

Yes but you have to match your schemes. To simplify it, a defense in an air raid program is going to be on the field for a lot more plays exposing much more for offenses to manipulate.  A defense in a run first offense (if they’re good enough to get off the field) is going to be on the field for less time and will be exposed less frequently giving them a lot of schematic flexibility.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1