Anyone Ready To Go The Defense-First Philosophy Yet?

FirefightnRick

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don’t know....whatever wins. 

McCarney was Defense first. That didn’t work out. 

And it’s not like our offense is the best in the conference. It’s not. 

just win. 

McCarney was defense first and did win when he had average to above average quarterback play, then the 2014 Texas game happened (you’ll recall our only TD was on defense and our quarterbacks completed more passes to Texas players than to our own). Skladany split at the end of the season and we got much, much, worse with Cosh. Without McCarney being hardheaded about the quarterback he would have running his team, we could’ve been decent but for my money, John Skladany was a GD genius.

• Upvote 4

We’ve had offensive-minded coaches, defensive-minded coaches, recruiters, schemers, and everything in between. The only constant is that it’s North Texas. We have played mediocre football (and basketball for that matter) with only a few glimmers of hope since Fry left us. The number one thing a recruit looks at when deciding where to commit is not only recent winning seasons, but a tradition of winning at a program. That means a greater likelihood of winning in the future (which is fun) and greater NFL draft prospects. Our draft drought, while still pretty stunning, is not totally a coincidence. NFL scouts know the winningest  blue-blood programs for whatever conference produce the highest quality talent. We aren’t there yet. I’m holding out hope we will get there one day, but if history is correct, I won’t hold my breath. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

but man was that a tough fall 

Today’s fall is getting there, but without a bowl win.

Just keep in mind, the last two defense-first coaches have 4 conference championships and two bowl wins under their belts.

The last two offense-first coaches have a win over Arkansas and a fat stat book,...for whatever that counts for?

Rice beat us today with a solid, up and coming defense (56th nationally) and an absolute nobody backup at QB.  The guy grew up playing private school ball in high school then didn’t see a start at FCS pussy-assed Harvard until his senior year last year.  

This isn’t Portland St level...but it’s damn close.

Rick

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I mean. Is Skip Holtz a defensive first coach? I honestly don’t know. He sure scores points though. And he wins. Offensively. Defensively. He just wins 

I'm not going to lie, with the exception of Cobbs, I would trade our entire coaching staff for LA Tech's.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Today’s fall is getting there, but without a bowl win.

Just keep in mind, the last two defense-first coaches have 4 conference championships and two bowl wins under their belts.

The last two offense-first coaches have a win over Arkansas and a fat stat book,...for whatever that counts for?

Rice beat us today with a solid, up and coming defense (56th nationally) and an absolute nobody backup at QB.  The guy grew up playing private school ball in high school then didn’t see a start at FCS pussy-assed Harvard until his senior year last year.  

This isn’t Portland St level...but it’s damn close.

Rick

No it’s not. Rice beating us 77-20 without even trying to score again for a full quarter was close to Portland State. This isn’t.

Tx HS defense sucks—look at the scores of these playoff games and see the ridiculous 7-on-7 garbage. Unless we get a Gary Patterson type mindset, your only hope is outscoring the other team. And that ain’t happening here, as SL is here for at least two more years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

McCarney’s downfall was he couldn’t recruit, especially QBs. Nobody worth a damn wanted to be a bus driver du jour for that antiquated offense. Eventually, the defense would get worn out and lose games in the second half and then they were gassed by the end of the season. Meanwhile, we are rolling out McNulty and Greer to hand the ball off and throw bubble screens. 

The idea is somewhere between these two extremes. We just have to hope SL decides to focus of defense (coaching, scheme, recruits, etc.) and he has truly learned something in this abortion of a season. If not, he’s just Dodge with a much better stadium, assistant coaches, and recruits—-never will win anything of substance here.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

....or are we still giddy about all those fantastic offensive stats?

Are we ready to get back to being the home of Mean Green defense,...or are we still hanging on to Tee’ing It High and all that bullshit?

Rick

So you are saying we lost to Rice because we gave up 20 points?   Both of their TD’s came on short fields, this loss isn’t on the defense.

if we can’t score 21 points, we aren’t going to win many games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreanmick said:

So you are saying we lost to Rice because we gave up 20 points?   Both of their TD’s came on short fields, this loss isn’t on the defense.

if we can’t score 21 points, we aren’t going to win many games.

.....because Rice was playing great defense yesterday. They had a great plan. They ignored the passing threat and shut down our running game in the first half. AND it appeared that they shut it down with mainly their front four. 

• Thanks 1